Why DON'T you carry a gun?

Man! You people know a lot of suicide victims!

Unfortunately yes. Some do know people who have committed suicide. Those I have known who have done so can be counted on one hand, however, while I have known many hundreds, thousands?, of people over my ever increasingly long life. In my opinion, somebody who is determined to commit suicide will find a way to do it. Others may make a half hearted attempt more as a scream for help than out of a determination to end it all. I have no problem with keeping easy access to guns out of the hands of those with suicidal thoughts. That is a sane and rational decision.

But I also think it is also rational to know that the huge majority of people are in no danger from and are quite okay with the presence of guns.

Some of these gun myths amaze me. I grew up with a rifle rack on my bedroom wall. It held my shotgun, my brothers shotgun and a .22 rifle that we shared. My father had two rifle racks on his bedroom wall filled with rifles and shotguns. My brother, my father and myself all kept ammunition in our dresser drawers and some in our hunting jackets that hung on hooks in our closets.

This from Jr. high school on. Most days we would come home from school, change our clothes, do our chores, do our homework then grab a gun and the dogs and go hunting. I never ever dreamed of hurting myself our someone else with a firearm although I did throw a hatchet at a guy once.

I now have plenty of loaded firearms around the house and I never ever worry about them. I just don't get all of this fuss.

Lefties like Catz pretend like they are making a safer world by removing civil rights from people, however;

When I was in 7th grade, my dad bought me a new 10-22 carbine. I took it to show and tell at school to explain what a wonderful piece of equipment it was. The class went well.

Yes, I took a firearm to a public school, with the teachers permission, and no one panicked.
Did the same in 1986. One of the guns was an evil 'assaiult weapon', no less.

From what I've seen, it is the people who don't have guns that are afraid. They are afraid of themselves, afraid of others, afraid that someone will get killed simply because there is a gun in the house.

Well, you know those guns, they're tricky little bastards. They sneak out of closets and drawers to go on random shooting sprees. I caught my shotgun trying to open the back window so that it could catch a train downtown to randomly shoot people....

At least, I'm pretty sure that's the way it all works in the alleged minds of the left.

I find if I talk to my guns every so often, keep them warm and clean, fire a few rounds every other week or so, they are happy and content.

Suicide can be accomplished in so many ways that the need to have a gun to do the act is immaterial. Would a gun free country cure murder, suicide, and reduce crime? only in your dreams. But then again a disarmed citizenry is the prologue to tyranny.

From what I've seen, it is the people who don't have guns that are afraid. They are afraid of themselves, afraid of others, afraid that someone will get killed simply because there is a gun in the house.

Well, you know those guns, they're tricky little bastards. They sneak out of closets and drawers to go on random shooting sprees. I caught my shotgun trying to open the back window so that it could catch a train downtown to randomly shoot people....

At least, I'm pretty sure that's the way it all works in the alleged minds of the left.

I find if I talk to my guns every so often, keep them warm and clean, fire a few rounds every other week or so, they are happy and content.

Suicide can be accomplished in so many ways that the need to have a gun to do the act is immaterial. Would a gun free country cure murder, suicide, and reduce crime? only in your dreams. But then again a disarmed citizenry is the prologue to tyranny.

Dozens of countries have unarmed citizens and do not suffer from tyranny. They do however, have lower homicide rates

Dozens of countries have unarmed citizens and do not suffer from tyranny. They do however, have lower homicide rates

So does Switzerland where the citizenry are the most heavily armed in the world.

It is not the presence or lack of guns that produces peaceful societies, but the homogenous nature and character of their populations. There is definitely an argument to be made though seen in historical records of nations in which would be dictators aspired to power. Almost invariably, the M.O. was to get the guns out of the hands of the opposition.

I respect your decision to not keep firearms at home. Why can't you respect my point of view that banning guns is not a component of creating a responsible society?

I've never advocated banning guns, but thought your comments were directed at me

Lefties like Catz pretend like they are making a safer world by removing civil rights from people, however

Strawman. Where have I advocated removing civil rights or firearm possession rights? Please, link the post, or admit that your comments about me were intentionally false (aka: lying).

I clearly stated that I do not keep a gun in my house, but I support the right to keep and bear arms and the use of concealed carry permits.

So does Switzerland where the citizenry are the most heavily armed in the world.

It is not the presence or lack of guns that produces peaceful societies, but the homogenous nature and character of their populations. There is definitely an argument to be made though seen in historical records of nations in which would be dictators aspired to power. Almost invariably, the M.O. was to get the guns out of the hands of the opposition.
Have to wonder why someone who feels safe to the point where he does not need a gun is so much in favor of making it more difficult for the law abiding to get a gun.

I'm concerned for your safety, wingy....

...Orbitz can help.

....better than obits....

Last edited:
Lefties like Catz pretend like they are making a safer world by removing civil rights from people, however

Strawman. Where have I advocated removing civil rights or firearm possession rights? Please, link the post, or admit that your comments about me were intentionally false (aka: lying).

I clearly stated that I do not keep a gun in my house, but I support the right to keep and bear arms and the use of concealed carry permits.
Correct. You did.

Have to wonder why someone who feels safe to the point where he does not need a gun is so much in favor of making it more difficult for the law abiding to get a gun.

Where did I ever advocate making it more difficult to get a gun?

I respect your decision to not keep firearms at home. Why can't you respect my point of view that banning guns is not a component of creating a responsible society?

I've never advocated banning guns, but thought your comments were directed at me

No, I was just agreeing with the other member that most people can and do use guns responsibly, that teaching kids about and how to use guns eliminates a lot of unhealthy fascination with them, and that banning guns is not a component of creating a responsible society.

I certainly respect your choice not to have guns in the house and can appreciate your reason for not doing so. I would also not discourage parents from teaching their kids about guns if they asked me.

Like I said, these are. two separate things.

No, I was just agreeing with the other member that most people can and do use guns responsibly, that teaching kids about and how to use guns eliminates a lot of unhealthy fascination with them, and that banning guns is not a component of creating a responsible society.

I certainly respect your choice not to have guns in the house and can appreciate your reason for not doing so. I would also not discourage parents from teaching their kids about guns if they asked me.

Like I said, these are. two separate things.
I will freely admit that my co-worker's daughter's suicide, when my daughter was about 5, was traumatic enough that I'm just not willing to take the risk (and looking at the research was the kicker). However, I respect the rights of other parents to see it differently, and to make the right choice for their children. My dad introduced my brother and i to the safe use of firearms, and I know how to handle a gun. I just consider my dog safer, at this point in time. It's basically a personal choice. It's not my place for me to make this choice for some other parent/family, and they shouldn't feel they have a need to make it for me.

I'm around guns daily, at work, and they don't bother me in the least. In different circumstances, I would own one, as well (i.e. if we lived in a neighborhood with a higher crime rate). I've considered buying a shot gun because we do have had some rattlesnakes in the yard occasionally, but i've found a shovel to be effective enough for those purposes.

Generally, I find it's that they project their own circumstances on other people. They feel safe, so they think that other people's surroundings must be equally safe.

What I've found is that, in my current circumstances, I don't need a gun. But, if I lived in different circumstances, I likely would. My neighborhood now hasn't had an actual crime in decades...maybe a little vandalism occasionally. But, the last neighborhood we lived in, there were 3 shootings within a block of my house in the 3 years we owned our home. I owned a gun at that point, because one of our neighbors woke up to find a guy in his bedroom, burglarizing him. The neighbor was a former Marine, and beat the burglar within an inch of his life, but I felt that a gun was a good safety measure, considering those facts.

Now...our neighborhood is so placid, I can't really see the point. The worst home invader I've had since buying the house was a racoon who got into my garage one night and came in through the cat door. A baseball bat was sufficient protection.

If the threat of guns in the hands of the public - law abiding citizens and criminals alike - is as bad as you think it is - so bad, in fact, that you believe the rights of the law abiding must limited for the better sake of society - why haven't you purchased a gun and taken the training necessary to use it effectively?

I own guns but I don't feel the need to carry one...

Oh, you did a lot more than say you don't have guns. You went into the whole deal about how guns cause teen suicide and if only we didn't have guns around then children wouldn't kill themselves.

Seriously, I'm a sarcastic bastard with a penchant for hyperbole - but I don't lie. You did indeed advocate against private firearm ownership.

If the threat of guns in the hands of the public - law abiding citizens and criminals alike - is as bad as you think it is - so bad, in fact, that you believe the rights of the law abiding must limited for the better sake of society - why haven't you purchased a gun and taken the training necessary to use it effectively?

Why haven't you heard that guns run off and track down and pull their own triggers and kill people, just like pencils magically misspell words on kids school tests...no wonder the education system is in shambles...

Sarcasim off..

Why haven't you heard that guns run off and track down and pull their own triggers and kill people, just like pencils magically misspell words on kids school tests...no wonder the education system is in shambles...

Sarcasim off..

Oh....I get it

Guns don't kill people.....people kill people

Guns just make it easier for people to kill people

Oh....I get it

Guns don't kill people.....people kill people

Guns just make it easier for people to kill people

Guns make it much harder for people to kill people.

I'm a 6 foot, 210 pound man with extensive martial arts training. Women are no match and cannot defend against me. I have thousands of hours of forms with staffs, swords and knifes. Of course, it's all irrelevant and done for fun, because a 4'8" woman with a .22 can take me down with ease.

Take away the guns, and we return to the days where the big, strong and trained were unstoppable. Where we could kill without fear.

The left seeks to remove the ability of the weak and powerless to defend themselves. To make the peasants once again dependent on nobility to defend them. Guns ended the aristocracy in the first place. Guns are an impediment to the leftist dream of a return to a feudal society.

Forum List

Back