Why DON'T you carry a gun?

Oh....I get it

Guns don't kill people.....people kill people

Guns just make it easier for people to kill people

Guns make it much harder for people to kill people.

I'm a 6 foot, 210 pound man with extensive martial arts training. Women are no match and cannot defend against me. I have thousands of hours of forms with staffs, swords and knifes. Of course, it's all irrelevant and done for fun, because a 4'8" woman with a .22 can take me down with ease.

Take away the guns, and we return to the days where the big, strong and trained were unstoppable. Where we could kill without fear.

The left seeks to remove the ability of the weak and powerless to defend themselves. To make the peasants once again dependent on nobility to defend them. Guns ended the aristocracy in the first place. Guns are an impediment to the leftist dream of a return to a feudal society.

Guns did not end the aristocracy

A rising middle class did. Of course, conservatives are trying to kill the middle class

Really?

What time period did feudalism fail in? When did firearms saturate Europe

A rising middle class did. Of course, conservatives are trying to kill the middle class

Quite to opposite, sparky. The middle class arose due to the aristocracy failing. The aristocracy failed because the social contract feudalism was based on became null and void. The peasants simply didn't need the nobility to protect them. Firearms enabled the masses to protect themselves - from the nobility that was supposedly protecting them....

I don't carry a gun because I hate guns.

And given that the odds are statistically zero I will ever need to use a gun, owning a gun increases the probability of death in my household.

I don't carry a gun, but I have a very large penis so people think....y'know.
People think you know you dont have anything of substance to add to the conversation, so you trot out one of the oldest and most tired ad homs there is?

Ad Hominem: An attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the term, my comment is only an ad hom if you believe that I'm saying you only carry a gun because you have a little dick. Which I wasn't, so it isn't.

Levity. A much misunderstood child.

Oh....I get it

Guns don't kill people.....people kill people

Guns just make it easier for people to kill people

Guns make it much harder for people to kill people.

I'm a 6 foot, 210 pound man with extensive martial arts training. Women are no match and cannot defend against me. I have thousands of hours of forms with staffs, swords and knifes. Of course, it's all irrelevant and done for fun, because a 4'8" woman with a .22 can take me down with ease.

Take away the guns, and we return to the days where the big, strong and trained were unstoppable. Where we could kill without fear.

The left seeks to remove the ability of the weak and powerless to defend themselves. To make the peasants once again dependent on nobility to defend them. Guns ended the aristocracy in the first place. Guns are an impediment to the leftist dream of a return to a feudal society.

Guns make it easier to kill people. In the large majority of situations, having a gun will make it easier for one person to kill another than not having a gun.

That doesn't detract from their use as a defensive tool. It doesn't detract from the role they play in allowing the weak and powerless to defend themselves. In fact, it is the very thing that allows that defense. The weak and powerless can more easily kill those who might take advantage of their weakness if they have a gun.

Doubtful. Where would they start? They have no idea what kind of gun it is. I don't even think they know a pistol from a shotgun.

Don't ever underestimate the intelligence and motivation of a determined teenager, dude. Information is the language this generation speaks.

And, they can learn anything they want from the internet and other kids.

As for teaching kids about guns ... One of the Columbine shooters was "taught" about guns by his grandfather. He kept guns and believed everyone was safer because of that. When he was interviewed, he said that he would continue to keep guns where his grand kids could get to them. Some people simply cannot learn.

I taught my kids to shoot safely, and to handle firearms in the proper manner. The grown ones have guns of their own. My 16 year old daughter is a crack shot.

That said, most of my guns are in the gun safe. One is always loaded and ready in a handgun safe. If I feel she is responsible enough, I will add her fingerprint to the list that open the box.

Carry? Springfield MilSpec with some custom touches. I carry to protect myself and others.

The following article was printed in an issue of American Handgunner. You can find the article at the following link:

Why do you carry a gun?

“Why do you carry a gun?”
by John Connor

If I had a nickel for every time I’ve been asked that question, I’d have, uh … as many guns as his firearm-festooned Editorial Immenseness, Roy-Boy. It’s been asked of me by all flavors of folks in all slices of society, with attitudes and expressions ranging from angry-arrogant to curtly-contemptuous, to brainless an’ befuddled. My answers to it have sorta formed three phases in my professional gun-carrying life. During that first and longest phase, I answered all of ’em sincerely and articulately, often following up with stacks of historic and legal documents. After many years, I concluded only a semi-significant sliver of people even heard what I was sayin’. The rest had already made up their muddled minds. Finally, I just got sick of it, and moved on to Phase 2. If those asking seemed to have teensy open spaces in their minds, I gave ’em S & A: “Sincere & Articulate.” The more harshly-bleating sheep, however, often got exchanges like this:
“So,” queried Snidely Snotworth III, lookin’ down his un-busted but needed-bustin’ nose, “Why do you think you have to carry a gun?”
“Well,” bellowed the Brutish Neanderthal (that would be me): “Because you’re not QUALIFIED to carry one. You haven’t got the skills, the judgment, the sense of responsibility, or the courage for it.”
This answer often popped out after I’d just returned from some Heart-Of-Darkness where every living soul knew that the difference between slaves and free people is having the means and determination to defend their lives, property and liberties. That meant having guns and guts and God-given rights. Most of those people would quite literally die fighting for the freedoms so many Americans casually give away, and proudly bear social responsibilities those sheeple* won’t even recognize.
*Sheeple: Sheep-like people, many of whom deny the existence of wolves, and vote to pull the teeth of the sheepdogs who protect the flock.
The Voices
Then I matriculated to Phase 3, where I started having some fun with the Snidely Snotworth types. When they asked the Big Question, I’d go all hunchy-shouldered an’ secretive, then lean in close and mutter, “Because of the voices, ya know?” “The VOICES?” sniveled the Snidelies, suddenly scaredy-cattish. “Oh, yeah, the voices … They told me to be, you know, prepared for when the killer clowns come … ” I’d furtively goggle around. “The voices say the killer clowns are comin’ … They’re cannibals, some of ’em, and … ”
About that time the Snidelies would be skitterin’ away like mice on polished marble.
Yeah, I know, the “killer clowns” answer might not have been “helpful,” but it did just as much good as giving S&A answers to the sheeple, and it was a lot more fun for me. I know you already know why we carry these cannons. But sometimes, just sometimes, we all need a little reminder. That includes me, and I’ve got one to share with you. One that got me where I live.
The Connor Clan has been nomadic, and we’ve lived in a number of places. In one of ’em, we shared a side yard and friendship with a young woman we’ll call Miss Maine, and her knee-high daughter, Little Lizzie. Miss Maine quickly bonded with the Memsaab Helena. Clearly, Helena’s Amazon-warrior spirit and skill with arms impressed Miss Maine mightily, and much of their time and talk revolved around that fierce self-confidence — and guns.
As for Little Lizzie, the munchkin almost duct-taped herself to the Mem’s leg. She followed Helena everywhere, but always, always, kept glancing back to check on her momma, as though she were the worried parent.
There was something guarded, something hurt and defensive about both of them, and that fearfulness extended to me for a while. They got over it, thank God. Then I sorta became a moving bunker for ’em, representing cover and protection. Finally, we learned the story.
Miss Maine had been attacked — brutally and viciously. You don’t wanta know the details. As with so many such crimes, it wasn’t really about sex. It was about hate and domination, cowardice and cruelty. And an even younger Little Lizzie had witnessed it. I like to think the Memsaab and I helped them to recover emotionally.
Then one day Lizzie came and snuggled into my shadow, visibly disturbed. That morning her kindergarten had put on “Frighten The Munchkins Day.” Some schools do a pretty good job of alerting children to predators — don’t go with strangers and that kinda thing — but others do more harm than good. All they do is terrify the tots and give ’em no operating options. Lizzie already had twin tears glistening, ready to fall when she grabbed a tiny fistful of my trouser-leg and asked, “Connor-Sir, will you a’ways be here? Wouldja be here … When the bad mens come?”
My knees cracked on the sidewalk as she slammed into my shoulder, shaking with sobs as the hot tears came, splashing my neck and searing into my soul. “ ’Cause I’m a-scared!” she choked, and clutched me tighter.
Oh, GOD! Who would not — who could not — fight without fear, suffer without sense of sacrifice, and kill or die deliberately, using the most effective means available — to protect life, liberty and a Little Lizzie? For God’s sake, who?
Those who would not are no better than the predators.
Maybe in Phase 4, when somebody pops The Big Question I’ll just smile and say, “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” You guys can fill in the details.

So if someone asks you why you carry a gun, tell'em To Protect Life, Liberty, and Little Lizzie". Let'em wonder.

I don't own a firearm because I have teenagers, and keeping a weapon in your home increases the likelihood of your child committing suicide or causing an accidental injury.

I have a good friend that I used to work with, a police sergeant, whose daughter killed herself with his service revolver about 14 years ago. I also had two friends in high school that killed themselves using weapons they found in their homes. Those situations have stayed with me, and I simply am not willing to take the risk. Kids are impulsive, and many teenagers experience suicidal thoughts. A kid can take an overdose of pills, have a second thought, and easily survive, but a gunshot to the head is permanent.

To protect my home, I have a pitbull mix, instead. She has a very menacing bark, a strong jaw, big teeth, and hates strangers. But, she's a cuddle bug with her family, her kitties, and her bunny.

I have zero problems with firearm ownership, however, and concealed carry permits. I feel I have a right to own a weapon, but the risks outweigh the possible positives.

the most accidental deaths involving kids are caused by automobiles so why own one of them ?
more kids are accidently drowned in swimming pools than are killed by guns so why have one of them in your home ??/

Really?

What time period did feudalism fail in? When did firearms saturate Europe

Quite to opposite, sparky. The middle class arose due to the aristocracy failing. The aristocracy failed because the social contract feudalism was based on became null and void. The peasants simply didn't need the nobility to protect them. Firearms enabled the masses to protect themselves - from the nobility that was supposedly protecting them....

Nobility always had better guns and more clout than the middle class. They still do. The middle class arose because of the industrial revolution not because of an armed revolution

The following article was printed in an issue of American Handgunner. You can find the article at the following link:

Why do you carry a gun?

“Why do you carry a gun?”
by John Connor

If I had a nickel for every time I’ve been asked that question, I’d have, uh … as many guns as his firearm-festooned Editorial Immenseness, Roy-Boy. It’s been asked of me by all flavors of folks in all slices of society, with attitudes and expressions ranging from angry-arrogant to curtly-contemptuous, to brainless an’ befuddled. My answers to it have sorta formed three phases in my professional gun-carrying life. During that first and longest phase, I answered all of ’em sincerely and articulately, often following up with stacks of historic and legal documents. After many years, I concluded only a semi-significant sliver of people even heard what I was sayin’. The rest had already made up their muddled minds. Finally, I just got sick of it, and moved on to Phase 2. If those asking seemed to have teensy open spaces in their minds, I gave ’em S & A: “Sincere & Articulate.” The more harshly-bleating sheep, however, often got exchanges like this:
“So,” queried Snidely Snotworth III, lookin’ down his un-busted but needed-bustin’ nose, “Why do you think you have to carry a gun?”
“Well,” bellowed the Brutish Neanderthal (that would be me): “Because you’re not QUALIFIED to carry one. You haven’t got the skills, the judgment, the sense of responsibility, or the courage for it.”
This answer often popped out after I’d just returned from some Heart-Of-Darkness where every living soul knew that the difference between slaves and free people is having the means and determination to defend their lives, property and liberties. That meant having guns and guts and God-given rights. Most of those people would quite literally die fighting for the freedoms so many Americans casually give away, and proudly bear social responsibilities those sheeple* won’t even recognize.
*Sheeple: Sheep-like people, many of whom deny the existence of wolves, and vote to pull the teeth of the sheepdogs who protect the flock.
The Voices
Then I matriculated to Phase 3, where I started having some fun with the Snidely Snotworth types. When they asked the Big Question, I’d go all hunchy-shouldered an’ secretive, then lean in close and mutter, “Because of the voices, ya know?” “The VOICES?” sniveled the Snidelies, suddenly scaredy-cattish. “Oh, yeah, the voices … They told me to be, you know, prepared for when the killer clowns come … ” I’d furtively goggle around. “The voices say the killer clowns are comin’ … They’re cannibals, some of ’em, and … ”
About that time the Snidelies would be skitterin’ away like mice on polished marble.
Yeah, I know, the “killer clowns” answer might not have been “helpful,” but it did just as much good as giving S&A answers to the sheeple, and it was a lot more fun for me. I know you already know why we carry these cannons. But sometimes, just sometimes, we all need a little reminder. That includes me, and I’ve got one to share with you. One that got me where I live.
The Connor Clan has been nomadic, and we’ve lived in a number of places. In one of ’em, we shared a side yard and friendship with a young woman we’ll call Miss Maine, and her knee-high daughter, Little Lizzie. Miss Maine quickly bonded with the Memsaab Helena. Clearly, Helena’s Amazon-warrior spirit and skill with arms impressed Miss Maine mightily, and much of their time and talk revolved around that fierce self-confidence — and guns.
As for Little Lizzie, the munchkin almost duct-taped herself to the Mem’s leg. She followed Helena everywhere, but always, always, kept glancing back to check on her momma, as though she were the worried parent.
There was something guarded, something hurt and defensive about both of them, and that fearfulness extended to me for a while. They got over it, thank God. Then I sorta became a moving bunker for ’em, representing cover and protection. Finally, we learned the story.
Miss Maine had been attacked — brutally and viciously. You don’t wanta know the details. As with so many such crimes, it wasn’t really about sex. It was about hate and domination, cowardice and cruelty. And an even younger Little Lizzie had witnessed it. I like to think the Memsaab and I helped them to recover emotionally.
Then one day Lizzie came and snuggled into my shadow, visibly disturbed. That morning her kindergarten had put on “Frighten The Munchkins Day.” Some schools do a pretty good job of alerting children to predators — don’t go with strangers and that kinda thing — but others do more harm than good. All they do is terrify the tots and give ’em no operating options. Lizzie already had twin tears glistening, ready to fall when she grabbed a tiny fistful of my trouser-leg and asked, “Connor-Sir, will you a’ways be here? Wouldja be here … When the bad mens come?”
My knees cracked on the sidewalk as she slammed into my shoulder, shaking with sobs as the hot tears came, splashing my neck and searing into my soul. “ ’Cause I’m a-scared!” she choked, and clutched me tighter.
Oh, GOD! Who would not — who could not — fight without fear, suffer without sense of sacrifice, and kill or die deliberately, using the most effective means available — to protect life, liberty and a Little Lizzie? For God’s sake, who?
Those who would not are no better than the predators.
Maybe in Phase 4, when somebody pops The Big Question I’ll just smile and say, “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” You guys can fill in the details.

So if someone asks you why you carry a gun, tell'em To Protect Life, Liberty, and Little Lizzie". Let'em wonder.

Most people have guns because they like to shoot the shit out of stuff

That Life, Liberty and protecting their family is bullshit

I do not carry a gun because I do not own a gun.
I do not own a gun because I am deathly afraid of them.....of what people can make them do.
I couldn't shoot one to save my own life.....and if I am in somebody's house and they pull out guns for show and tell, I'm hauling ass.
Yes I have had a gun pointed at me.....by someone you would never expect.

If the threat of guns in the hands of the public - law abiding citizens and criminals alike - is as bad as you think it is - so bad, in fact, that you believe the rights of the law abiding must limited for the better sake of society - why haven't you purchased a gun and taken the training necessary to use it effectively?

can't afford one.

getting a license is fucked

just holding it wrong is a crime

Guns are tools. Different guns are for different things.

The OP asked about why don't you CARRY a gun. I expounded on why I do carry a gun, and used the article as a bit of humor and as an example.

I own guns for hunting, for target shooting, for plinking and for protection. The protection provided is not bullshit. It also is why I will stop and help a stranded motorist or would stop and help someone being beaten or attacked. Because I am able to do so.

Guns are tools. Different guns are for different things.

The OP asked about why don't you CARRY a gun. I expounded on why I do carry a gun, and used the article as a bit of humor and as an example.

I own guns for hunting, for target shooting, for plinking and for protection. The protection provided is not bullshit. It also is why I will stop and help a stranded motorist or would stop and help someone being beaten or attacked. Because I am able to do so.

I choose not to carry a gun.....I prefer to kill people with my bare hands

I own them and can legally conceal carry in 33 states, except my own leftist conclave of course.

I was raised in a household with several firearms. There was a loaded pistol, rifle, and shotgun in the home at all times. Starting at age 7 I was introduced to the proper handling and use of said firearms by my father and I never used them in an irresponsible manner or without my parent's permission.

To me, guns are no big deal, a tool to defend oneself or to enjoy the recreational hobby of target shooting.

Yet, there are plenty of people who begin to hyperventilate in the presence of a firearm. The left wing has done a good job.

If legal, I would conceal or open carry everywhere whenever I felt like it, which is not all the time.

If the threat of guns in the hands of the public - law abiding citizens and criminals alike - is as bad as you think it is - so bad, in fact, that you believe the rights of the law abiding must limited for the better sake of society - why haven't you purchased a gun and taken the training necessary to use it effectively?

I have carried a weapon, in the Navy and in my civilian career. I've seen the damage a projectile does to the human body and the grief of family members when informed their loved one was murdered. I've been a member of death review boards - there are two in every county in CA, one to examine the deaths of minors (17 and under) and the other of adults who had had contact with any county agency.

I suspect many who are so enamored with their guns have a fantasy of being a hero and saving someone with their weapon, killing the bad guy or guys is their daydream. I've seen how trained police officers are affected when in the line of duty they kill a suspect. It isn't pleasant and it seems to never go away.

I saw my father-in-law pale when he saw a Japanses man in a car next to ours and when I asked what was wrong he said, "I killled that man" (he was a gunner in a Billy Mitchell during WWII).

I have carried a weapon, in the Navy and in my civilian career. I've seen the damage a projectile does to the human body and the grief of family members when informed their loved one was murdered. I've been a member of death review boards - there are two in every county in CA, one to examine the deaths of minors (17 and under) and the other of adults who had had contact with any county agency.

I suspect many who are so enamored with their guns have a fantasy of being a hero and saving someone with their weapon, killing the bad guy or guys is their daydream. I've seen how trained police officers are affected when in the line of duty they kill a suspect. It isn't pleasant and it seems to never go away.

I saw my father-in-law pale when he saw a Japanses man in a car next to ours and when I asked what was wrong he said, "I killled that man" (he was a gunner in a Billy Mitchell during WWII).

I have never in my life pointed a gun at another human being in jest or in anger or as self protection. I honestly don't know whether I have it in me to pull the trigger to save my own life, but I'm guessing that I do. I damn sure know I could do it to protect or save my loved ones or other innocents.

I have a school teacher friend who taught shop in a large highschool. He confided to me that he has two loaded revolver hidden on premises and only he and his assistant know that they are there. He put them there after the Columbine massacre. And if there should be a "Columbine" attempt at his school, he is ready. There would not be dozens of kids killed and injured.

Working from memory here: I remember reading a CATO study citing tens of thousands of crimes are prevented every year by citizens with guns. They used thousands of news reports to extrapolate the mere presence of an amred citizen is sufficient to prevent many crimes.

Also another study done by a criminologist--Gary Clack or Klack or something like that--estimated that 2 to 3 million Americans use guns for defensive purposes each year. And of those, one in six believe someone would have been dead if the citizen had not had and been willing to use a firearm.

When you put that up against the tiny percetage of accidental gun deaths, and the fact that we cannot remove the ability of the criminal minded to get a gun, build a gun, or illegally use a gun, the only defense is having the criminals out gunned. We live in a violent world and crime is intensifying in countries where almost no citizens are armed. But when the law abiding citizenry is armed, invariably violent crime has been reduced or has accelerated less.

The Founders were very wise to put the 2nd Amendment into the Constitution. And our focus should be on less discouragement of the law abiding to have guns and better means to keep them out of the hands of those who would do violence to us with them.

I keep a gun at home. But I would no sooner carry a deadly weapon in public than I would carry an unlit Molotov cocktail in my pocket.

Do you drive a car? Is driving something that is responsible for more deaths than guns somehow more responsible than carrying a gun?

Forum List

Back