Why DON'T you carry a gun?

To prevent against accidental gun deaths, I only keep my autos loaded. None of my daughters know how to use it. They would have no idea that they have to pull the slide back before they can fire it and in the case of my 9mm, the youngest wouldn't have the strength to do so.

When your children get older, they'll be able to research this information on the internet quite readily.

To prevent against accidental gun deaths, I only keep my autos loaded. None of my daughters know how to use it. They would have no idea that they have to pull the slide back before they can fire it and in the case of my 9mm, the youngest wouldn't have the strength to do so.

When your children get older, they'll be able to research this information on the internet quite readily.

Doubtful. Where would they start? They have no idea what kind of gun it is. I don't even think they know a pistol from a shotgun.

Doubtful. Where would they start? They have no idea what kind of gun it is. I don't even think they know a pistol from a shotgun.

Don't ever underestimate the intelligence and motivation of a determined teenager, dude. Information is the language this generation speaks.

I don't carry a gun, but I have a very large penis so people think....y'know.

Exactly.

The question should not be why one does not carry a gun but rather why would one even consider carrying a gun?

I do own guns but have several air tasers stowed in strategic places - homes and cars - for self protection. I want to be able to stop someone but I have no need to kill anybody. If any of them were stolen, they could not be used to kill.

BTW, the beauty of air tasers over stun guns is that you can stop the "bad guy" while he's still 15' away and still have the stun gun feature and be able to stop others when they're closer.

Don't ever underestimate the intelligence and motivation of a determined teenager, dude. Information is the language this generation speaks.

And, they can learn anything they want from the internet and other kids.

As for teaching kids about guns ... One of the Columbine shooters was "taught" about guns by his grandfather. He kept guns and believed everyone was safer because of that. When he was interviewed, he said that he would continue to keep guns where his grand kids could get to them. Some people simply cannot learn.

While I understand your concern, there's abotu a million different ways to effectively deal with this issue other than not having a gun.

If you're willing to take that risk with your kids, that's your choice. My kids, my choice. I work with cops for a living, I'm not anti-gun, but I don't need one in my home. I live in an extremely safe area with almost zero crime, and I have a large aggressive-looking dog.

There is zero need for me to own a gun. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
While I understand your concern, there's abotu a million different ways to effectively deal with this issue other than not having a gun.
If you're willing to take that risk with your kids, that's your choice. My kids, my choice.
Of course.

But then... the more you teach your kids about guns, the less likely they are to have an accident. This applies to your house as well as others, where there may be guns; the argument could be made that to teach your kids how to safely handle a gun in an are appropriate manner is to teach them a skill that could save their lives and those of others.

I don't own a firearm because I have teenagers, and keeping a weapon in your home increases the likelihood of your child committing suicide or causing an accidental injury.

I have a good friend that I used to work with, a police sergeant, whose daughter killed herself with his service revolver about 14 years ago. I also had two friends in high school that killed themselves using weapons they found in their homes. Those situations have stayed with me, and I simply am not willing to take the risk. Kids are impulsive, and many teenagers experience suicidal thoughts. A kid can take an overdose of pills, have a second thought, and easily survive, but a gunshot to the head is permanent.

To protect my home, I have a pitbull mix, instead. She has a very menacing bark, a strong jaw, big teeth, and hates strangers. But, she's a cuddle bug with her family, her kitties, and her bunny.

I have zero problems with firearm ownership, however, and concealed carry permits. I feel I have a right to own a weapon, but the risks outweigh the possible positives.

I love dogs, as anyone here paying attention can tell.

But anyone thinking a dog is protection for a home, is fooling themselves. The only thing a dog is good for is to alert you by barking. Even a big dog is no match for a human. Humans have feet, and the dexterity to use them. Unless a person panics, virtually any adult human can kick virtually any dog to death without the dog having a prayer. If the human panics, then the dog will win, otherwise, it's simply no contest. Yeah, you may and probably will get bit, but in life or death, the dog looses 100% of the time. That's just the fact. And I'm talking an unarmed human, bad guys usually are armed. What's a dog going to do against someone with a baseball bat or golf club?

You better figure on protecting your dog, rather than the other way around.

I raised 4 children to adulthood with all kinds of guns in the house. None of them killed themselves. Liberal myths are just that, myths.

I took the approach that all of the children would know and understand the firearms. I took all of them shooting, taught them how the guns worked, the fact that there is no such thing as an "unloaded" firearm.

To keep guns out of the house because teens might kill themselves is as stupid as never shaving (says he while tugging his beard) because they might use a razor blade to slit their wrist.

Suicide is mental problem, the mechanics are irrelevant. No one wanting to kill them-self will suddenly stop because they don't have a gun. They'll hang them-self, sit in a running car in the garage, slit their wrist, jump in front of a train, etc.

If the threat of guns in the hands of the public - law abiding citizens and criminals alike - is as bad as you think it is - so bad, in fact, that you believe the rights of the law abiding must limited for the better sake of society - why haven't you purchased a gun and taken the training necessary to use it effectively?

California won't allow me to.

If they would, I would.

Simple as that.

Same here.

But then... the more you teach your kids about guns, the less likely they are to have an accident. This applies to your house as well as others, where there may be guns; the argument could be made that to teach your kids how to safely handle a gun in an are appropriate manner is to teach them a skill that could save their lives and those of others.

My kids have been taught not to handle guns, at all, at this point in their lives. Thanks for the advice, though.

I raised 4 children to adulthood with all kinds of guns in the house. None of them killed themselves. Liberal myths are just that, myths.

I took the approach that all of the children would know and understand the firearms. I took all of them shooting, taught them how the guns worked, the fact that there is no such thing as an "unloaded" firearm.

To keep guns out of the house because teens might kill themselves is as stupid as never shaving (says he while tugging his beard) because they might use a razor blade to slit their wrist.

Suicide is mental problem, the mechanics are irrelevant. No one wanting to kill them-self will suddenly stop because they don't have a gun. They'll hang them-self, sit in a running car in the garage, slit their wrist, jump in front of a train, etc.

Of the 5 girls I raised (am raising), only the oldest was ever interested in guns. The only two left at home are not interested in the least so I haven't taught them. They know to alert me if they see a gun lying around (something I'm careful never to do) and not to touch it. Neither of them are suicidal, or even depressed.

If the threat of guns in the hands of the public - law abiding citizens and criminals alike - is as bad as you think it is - so bad, in fact, that you believe the rights of the law abiding must limited for the better sake of society - why haven't you purchased a gun and taken the training necessary to use it effectively?

gotta admit, by not having taken the time, trouble and expense to buy a pistol, take the training, and get a concealed carry permit,

I do feel somewhat remiss in my civil duty...

It's not a myth. It's been studied quite extensively.

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

Further, your post is rife with misinformation.

Suicide is the second largest cause of death among 15-24 year olds. Guns are used in about 60% of teen suicides.

Impulsivity is highly linked to suicide, and teens are incredibly impulsive.

Impulsivity and teen suicide | Psychology Today

Having access to a firearm can be the difference between a teen surviving a suicide attempt, and dying.

It's great that your kids didn't have any problems. Your post is a combination of fallacies: appeal to tradition, ad hominem tu quoque, and hasty generalization.

Thanks, but I'll consider your opinion when it's supported by more than fallacies (scientifically validated research would be ideal).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back