why does the left unquestionably trust government?

what is one thing that is not in the enumerated powers that the federal government has done well? I can't think of anything.

good question.

i think it is because the left is suffering from leftism, which is a mental disorder and designed to destroy america.

grampa, you have still time to cancel your pos rep and remove your thanks.

but thanks anyway.

:lol:

Some folks would surely benefit if this place had sarcasm tags.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

It's a basic view that profit is bad and exploitative. Therefore non profits are inherently good, as is government, while for profits are inherently bad. We see this all the time in health care discussions where insurance companies get slammed while competing gov't entitites are lauded.

The truth is that non profits are every bit as greedy, if not more, than for profits, and less accountable. And government is simply unaccountable.

Trying to use the views of those on the far far left to explain the views of those in the middle is not only off the mark, it's a bit stupid. It's like saying all conservatives think we should get rid of the government completely.

What so many of you seem to forget is that government is not this big boogeyman that created itself and is now the enemy of all hard working people. Government is the people deciding what should be done in a collective effort for the better of everyone. That in no way means that the government should run or control everything or that it should put such constraints on business as to make doing business impossible. However, when the people support things such as certain environmental standards, then it is the government's job to ensure that those standards are upheld, even if it becomes a small thorn in the side of business. Bottom line is that the people decide what and what not government will do for all of us.

The question is, as always, one of degree, but it is also one of scope. The question we are facing in the last 20-30 years has been not only IF government should do a given task, but at what level of government should it be accomplished.

If you look back to the original scope of the federal government, created by the constitution, the primary purpose was to provide a united front when it came to foreign interaction, to regulate disputes between the states, to create certain basic rights held by citizens of all the states, and to provide for projects that impact multiple states. All over actions were the reserve of the states, and whatever the states delegated to thier local organizational levels (counties, towns, parishes, etc).

What we see as part of the philosophy of the modern left, what I call the progressive statists, is that they see the scope of federal governance and governance in general, as far beyond what was intended.

In progressive, you see their desire to implement programs they see as benefical to all, and to require those they see as better off than a set point to pay for most of the programs.

In statist, you see the method they want to use. Government, in particular federal government, to implement thier programs, and force people to fund/go along with them.

The additon of the two also leads to a situation where proponents of the system want to create a dependent class, which would assure the policies enacted would remain in perpituity.

The ‘left’ doesn’t. It’s a rightist contrivance and myth. In fact, for well over 60 years the ‘left’ has fought tirelessly in the courts to protect individual liberty from government excess and overreach: Federal, state, and local.

...what is one thing that is not in the enumerated powers…

Also a rightist myth is the dogma of ‘finite’ enumerated powers, the incorrect notion that any act by Congress not ‘specifically’ noted in the Constitution is ‘un-Constitutional.’

In McCulloch v. Maryland (1819), the unanimous ruling of the court established that Congress possesses unenumerated powers: "the constitution and the laws made in pursuance thereof are supreme. . .they control the constitution and laws of the respective states, and cannot be controlled by them."
…that the federal government has done well? I can't think of anything.

Your ignorance is not proof of an ‘ineffective’ Federal government; and blind adherence to conservative dogma will likely prevent you from addressing your ignorance.

Does this mean the throngs of OWS protesters that for sure don't trust government are right wing afterall? :eusa_think:

pretty sure OWS wants government to help them. I haven't found anything to show the contrary.

You said leftists unquestionably TRUST government. I've found everything to show the contrary where OWS protesters are concerned.

So either they're not leftists, or you're full of shit skippy.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

The ‘left’ doesn’t. It’s a rightist contrivance and myth. In fact, for well over 60 years the ‘left’ has fought tirelessly in the courts to protect individual liberty from government excess and overreach: Federal, state, and local.

...what is one thing that is not in the enumerated powers…

Also a rightist myth is the dogma of ‘finite’ enumerated powers, the incorrect notion that any act by Congress not ‘specifically’ noted in the Constitution is ‘un-Constitutional.’

In McCulloch v. Maryland (1819), the unanimous ruling of the court established that Congress possesses unenumerated powers: "the constitution and the laws made in pursuance thereof are supreme. . .they control the constitution and laws of the respective states, and cannot be controlled by them."
…that the federal government has done well? I can't think of anything.

You ignorance is not proof of an ‘ineffective’ Federal government; and blind adherence to conservative dogma will likely prevent you from addressing your ignorance.

Can you cite the constitution itself, or do you rely solely on the opinions of others?

And the obverse is :
Why does the right unquestionably trust corporations?

And the reality is that most are losing faith in the government because of corporate control of the government.

Last edited:
And the obverse is :
Why does the right unquestionably trust corporations?

And the reality is that most are losing faith in the government because of corporate control of the government.

I won't vouch for the "right" but I will say those who are not "left" would rather have liberty over tyranny.

Why does the right torture small animals and engage in sadomasochistic orgies on alternate Tuesdays?

I've asked that question many times. The left just never answers.

When you give the government the power to confiscate the wealth of individuals, what in the WORLD makes you think that the government will redistribute that wealth to you?

They don't. But feel free to provide some examples.

some examples of failures? EPA, FEMA, DOE, SS
No, some examples of the left unquestionably trusting the government.

Oh. Well the call for UHC is an example of the left trusting government with the health of Americans, despite the failures it has had in the past. The support for social security despite it being a mismanaged clusterfuck. The support for the "fairness doctrine." The support of the left for more regulations on businesses by government who can not even regulate their own mandates. The support for higher taxes even though government is notorious for wasting tax money. Is that good enough for you?

Why does the right torture small animals and engage in sadomasochistic orgies on alternate Tuesdays?

that's probably because the bible demands it, or the constitution.

Actually, it's a piece of bullshit that I made up out of thin air. Just like the bit about the left unquestionably trusting the government.

It's no more valid a question than the OP.

Forum List

Back