Why does someone want an AR-15

I understand wanting guns for hunting or protection.
I know enough about guns that an AR-15 is not the best gun for hunting or protection.

I had one some years ago. I used it for hunting coyote. The recoil was low enough and the rifle accurate enough to occasionally get 2 coyote to one call.

They are also a lot of fun to shoot.
I appreciate your answer. It sounds like a reasonable use for the gun. I personally feel the negatives out weigh the positives.
But again, I appreciate a sincere answer.

Thank you. But, as others have pointed out, we should not have to justify our rights. No one asks if you NEED to say something, when discussing 1st amendment rights.

But the opposition has continued to claim that ARs are never used for hunting, when that is absolutely wrong.

Since the Second Amendment is not about hunting, I don't like the hunting argument. But, you're right, there are types of hunting that ARs are perfect for...hunting feral hogs, for example.

To protect myself from crazed leftist with broken bottles and bicycle locks

Thank you. But, as others have pointed out, we should not have to justify our rights. No one asks if you NEED to say something, when discussing 1st amendment rights.

But the opposition has continued to claim that ARs are never used for hunting, when that is absolutely wrong.

And even if it were true, it would still be irrelevant.

I know enough about guns that an AR-15 is not the best gun for hunting or protection.

Again, your understanding is neither required nor relevant.
You are telling me you can not explain why anyone wants an AR-15.
It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage.

No, they're telling you it none of your business why they want/need an AR-15.
I will share with you why I want one.... I want one for home defense.

And because I can

Rights assured to me by the 2nd

Now Joe Biden me and tell me to get a shot gun and shoot through the door....
If you use the gun for personal defense, I assume you do not keep it locked up so you have easy access.

Assume all you want, I do not need nor will I answer such a question.

It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage.

And because I can

If you use the gun for personal defense, I assume you do not keep it locked up so you have easy access.
Only an imbecile would lock up a gun they rely on. So your guns are all locked up?

And because I can

I keep mine in my back pocket.

Who are you to judge? A well-built AR-15 may just would be better for hunting than an older mini-14 chambered in .223.

I know this much.

How can a relatively low powered rifle do the most collateral damage? Could be that you just don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Here's an AR-15 round compared to a typical hunting round, the 30-06, which are available in semi auto as well.

223-30-061.jpg

AR is on the left like you.

The .223 is a relatively low powered round, when looking at Ft-Lbs of energy. But the speed of the projectile overcomes some (or all?) of that. Yes, a 55 or 50 gr bullet won't have the thump a bigger bullet would. But when that 50 gr bullet is stepping along at 3300fps at the muzzle and still going 2889fps at 100 yards, there will be serious damage to the flesh it hits. Many people hunt feral hogs with .223s. They claim the velocity of the bullet imparts significant energy. I still prefer my old 45-70Gov't for hogs, but they seem to drop a lot of them.

How can a relatively low powered rifle do the most collateral damage? Could be that you just don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Here's an AR-15 round compared to a typical hunting round, the 30-06, which are available in semi auto as well.

223-30-061.jpg

The automatic feature has provided collateral damage in many cases

223-30-061.jpg

Aww, such a cyoot wittle bullet. 7.62x39 as well.

Okay, I was a young dumbass. I laughed at my friend when he showed me his SKS bullets in the 90s.

Oh! them itty bitty bullets, I got a .22! :21:

223-30-061.jpg

The .223 is a relatively low powered round, when looking at Ft-Lbs of energy. But the speed of the projectile overcomes some (or all?) of that. Yes, a 55 or 50 gr bullet won't have the thump a bigger bullet would. But when that 50 gr bullet is stepping along at 3300fps at the muzzle and still going 2889fps at 100 yards, there will be serious damage to the flesh it hits. Many people hunt feral hogs with .223s. They claim the velocity of the bullet imparts significant energy. I still prefer my old 45-70Gov't for hogs, but they seem to drop a lot of them.

People take hogs @ 300 yards with .17 HMR, it's still the width of a BB, and only 17 grains.

PS: That requires a good headshot.

.06 ammo hmm, Core-Lokt stuff..

180 grain, 2910 FPS. Something you never want to catch.

The deadliest mushroom in the woods.

Last edited:
I have one for human behavior protection. I live in the hurricane zone. People go bat shit crazy after destructive storms pass through. Try to aggress my position and loot my property at your own risk. No Katrina types near me please.

Who are you to judge? A well-built AR-15 may just would be better for hunting than an older mini-14 chambered in .223.

I know this much.
The following is what Supreme Court Judge Scalia had to say about the second ammendment.
Scalia clearly stated in (District of Columbia vs) Heller that the right to bear arms had boundaries. “Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited,” he wrote. “It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.” For example, he cited laws that prohibit the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or that forbid them in places such as schools and government buildings, or impose conditions on their sale.

I have one for human behavior protection. I live in the hurricane zone. People go bat shit crazy after destructive storms pass through. Try to aggress my position and loot my property at your own risk. No Katrina types near me please.

I'm thinking 2 20-guage semi-autos with 00 buck would be perfect.

"It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage"???? WTF? No skill? Maybe at point blank range. But then, any firearm can do that. Tell you what. How about we meet at a range. I'll borrow and AR for you to shoot. I'll bring a lever action rifle in .44 Magnum. We will see who will be the first to hit 10 soda cans at 100 yards, shooting offhand. I'll bet you'd change you mind about the "absolutely no skill" requirement.

And there are numerous calibers that will do far more collateral damage.

223-30-061.jpg

The automatic feature has provided collateral damage in many cases

Holy Shit, Really?!?!??!!??

They are people that are insecure inside. Like gang members you put a gun in their hand and they feel strong and tough. Like they finally feel like equals to everyone else.

I'm thinking 2 20-guage semi-autos with 00 buck would be perfect.
I got the Mossberg for that too my brother!

They are people that are insecure inside. Like gang members you put a gun in their hand and they feel strong and tough. Like they finally feel like equals to everyone else.
Put a dick in your hand and you feel all hot inside.

And because I can

Only an imbecile would lock up a gun they rely on. So your guns are all locked up?
Your AR-15 is not locked up and available to you and anyone else who comes upon it.
I do not rely on guns for my personal safety and I feel very safe.

Forum List

Back