Why does someone want an AR-15

I understand wanting guns for hunting or protection.
I know enough about guns that an AR-15 is not the best gun for hunting or protection.

Again, your understanding is neither required nor relevant.
You are telling me you can not explain why anyone wants an AR-15.
It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage.
How can a relatively low powered rifle do the most collateral damage? Could be that you just don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Here's an AR-15 round compared to a typical hunting round, the 30-06, which are available in semi auto as well.

223-30-061.jpg

AR is on the left like you.
The automatic feature has provided collateral damage in many cases

Really?
What cases?

I know enough about guns that an AR-15 is not the best gun for hunting or protection.

Who are you to judge? A well-built AR-15 may just would be better for hunting than an older mini-14 chambered in .223.

I know this much.
The following is what Supreme Court Judge Scalia had to say about the second ammendment.
Scalia clearly stated in (District of Columbia vs) Heller that the right to bear arms had boundaries. “Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited,” he wrote. “It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.” For example, he cited laws that prohibit the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or that forbid them in places such as schools and government buildings, or impose conditions on their sale.

And that same decision also said "the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home".
You are correct, but the decision also included the possible restrictions quoted in my post by Scalia in the majority opinion.

It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage.

"It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage"???? WTF? No skill? Maybe at point blank range. But then, any firearm can do that. Tell you what. How about we meet at a range. I'll borrow and AR for you to shoot. I'll bring a lever action rifle in .44 Magnum. We will see who will be the first to hit 10 soda cans at 100 yards, shooting offhand. I'll bet you'd change you mind about the "absolutely no skill" requirement.

And there are numerous calibers that will do far more collateral damage.
It is the automatic feature that provides the ability for any idiot to spray an area without much skill and do huge damage.
The first restictive gun laws were placed on machine guns for that reason.
None of these school shooters were trained marksman and their weapon of choice is a semi-automatic or automatic weapon to do as much damage as possible in a short amount of time with no skill.
Your ignorance knows no bounds does it liar. You can't just go by an automatic weapon.

Because for a gun enthusiast they are really fun to shoot.
This has nothing to do with shootings or gun violence. Pistols kill FAR more than do ar's.
When the time comes to form a militia, they do not want those guns in the hands of trained vets. That is why "Obamacare" wanted doctors to ask and document if their patients owned guns.
The VA gets nothing right, but were able to help the gov. by suggesting that vets should maybe "talk" to someone in case they may encounter some PTS, and schedule a visit with a psychologist. They then forward that soldier's information to the gov. and that clears the way for the gov. to declare the vet mentally too unstable to own a firearm.

You want to stop school shootings? Instead of hiring some off duty cop who wants to pad his income a bit, put a vet at each door with an ar15. There would be no need to arm teachers.
Our vets run toward danger, not from it. Little Bang Bang Billy would think twice...

Last edited:

No, they're telling you it none of your business why they want/need an AR-15.
I will share with you why I want one.... I want one for home defense.

And because I can

Rights assured to me by the 2nd

Now Joe Biden me and tell me to get a shot gun and shoot through the door....
If you use the gun for personal defense, I assume you do not keep it locked up so you have easy access.
Only an imbecile would lock up a gun they rely on. So your guns are all locked up?

Not true. My M1911 is in a lockbox. The biometric lock lets me access it quickly. I've opened the box hundreds of times and never had a failure.

You probably use a fingerprint lock on your phone, too, huh? I deleted that part. :rolleyes:

"It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage"???? WTF? No skill? Maybe at point blank range. But then, any firearm can do that. Tell you what. How about we meet at a range. I'll borrow and AR for you to shoot. I'll bring a lever action rifle in .44 Magnum. We will see who will be the first to hit 10 soda cans at 100 yards, shooting offhand. I'll bet you'd change you mind about the "absolutely no skill" requirement.

It is the automatic feature that provides the ability for any idiot to spray an area without much skill and do huge damage.
None of these school shooters were trained marksman and their weapon of choice is a semi-automatic or automatic weapon to do as much damage as possible in a short amount of time with no skill.

It's not Krylon, it's a gun.

And because I can

If you use the gun for personal defense, I assume you do not keep it locked up so you have easy access.
Only an imbecile would lock up a gun they rely on. So your guns are all locked up?

Not true. My M1911 is in a lockbox. The biometric lock lets me access it quickly. I've opened the box hundreds of times and never had a failure.
I don't rely on things like that not to fail. Sorry.

No need to be sorry. I have complete faith in the box, just like I do with my gun. If it ever showed the slightest tendency to fail, it would be gone. Hundreds of times it has opened when I put my thumb on the reader. And its not as if it would take long to get another gun. Unless you crash thru my front door and head straight to my bedroom at a full run, even if the box fails, I will be armed in plenty of time.

Which school shooters used an automatic?

And any semi-auto would be capable of the same damage in close quarters. The AR is not magical.

And because I can

Your AR-15 is not locked up and available to you and anyone else who comes upon it.
I do not rely on guns for my personal safety and I feel very safe.

So you'd feel all safe and shit if I was pointing this in your face?
upload_2018-2-25_15-38-27.png

I thought we were talking about the AR? The AR does not shoot like a machine gun, despite what some antigun folks claim.

And the restrictions on machine guns is more financial than anything. Pay the tax stamp, and you can own one too.

To protect myself from crazed leftist with broken bottles and bicycle locks

And don’t forget the tyrannical government that they support…

As long as there are leftist and criminals

we will keep our guns…

And because I can

You probably use a fingerprint lock on your phone, too, huh? I deleted that part. :rolleyes:

Nope, not on my phone. But my lock box has it. (and a key hidden close by-for backup)

I have not read the whole thread, but it is kind of a dumb question. Do you ask why someone wants a Porsche or a Bugatti?

I'd give the anti-gun leftists here an AR-15 or AK47 and I get my .22 for a 100 yard shootout, baby!

I'd win.

It reminds me of something from my much younger days. Two friends and I went up into the mountains above Santa barbara to do some shooting. They had an assortment of different arms, and all I had was my father's old .22 semi-auto. We didn't bring along any targets, just looked for random stuff where we were to shoot at. At some point, we found a couple of old beer bottles, which we sat on a concrete slab, then went back a dozen or so yards. My two friends each blasted away for a minute or so at the bottles, not hitting them. I then pointed my father's rifle that way, and hit both the bottles.

I didn't really understand the significance of this until a few days later,when I heard some additional details from a fourth friend. It turns out that one of the friends I was shooting with had come into a bit of unexpected money, of which he had days before, spent about $1200 on the rifle he was using to shoot at the beer bottles. He imagined that with an expensive rifle, he'd be able to become a great marksman. He was apparently rather brought down by the fact that I was able to shoot better with my dad's old .22 than he could with his expensive new rifle; and a few days later, sold his new rifle for about half of what he had paid for it.

What a tard....

I'd give the anti-gun leftists here an AR-15 or AK47 and I get my .22 for a 100 yard shootout, baby!

I'd win.
I'd rather have a Browning .22LR semi rifle....

Why? Does Browning make some kinda super-awesome .22 I never heard of within 40 years?

Near as I can tell the top 3 are Ruger, Marlin, and Mossberg, in no particular order.

Marlin
Ruger
Mossberg

If you want order.

How can a relatively low powered rifle do the most collateral damage? Could be that you just don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Here's an AR-15 round compared to a typical hunting round, the 30-06, which are available in semi auto as well.

223-30-061.jpg

AR is on the left like you.
The automatic feature has provided collateral damage in many cases

Really?
What cases?
The AR-15 was designed as a semi-automatic version of the M-16 which is build as a war weapon. The M-16 is an effective war weapon but an acknowledged down side is the collateral damage that happens with Automatic and semi-automatic weapons. Look at Iraq and Afghanistan.

Read the article attached in reference specifically to AR-15.
NSW Police move to semi-automatics could cause 'collateral damage': expert

Why does someone want a Lamborghini? A car is used to get from place to place you don't need anything that high end to do this. I am not trying to draw a comparison between guns and cars just pointing at that why people want something is a matter of personal preference. Personally I prefer a pistol but that's just me.

Forum List

Back