Why does faith deserve respect?

I think the real question you should ask is why are you so obsessed with God and religion that you start thread after thread when you claim to have no respect for any of it?

I don't waste my time with things I claim not to care about. Why do you?

I think it's because you do care guno. You're curious about God.

I'm curious about fanatics.

What is a 'fanatic'? Anyone that believes in the possibility of intelligent design?

fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.
    synonyms: zealot, extremist, militant, dogmatist, devotee, adherent; More

Yes, I know what the word means, does that cover anyone that believes in the possibility of intelligent design, was the question. It's a word that is subjectively applied by the individual using it.

I don't watch videos, or follow links to videos on here, sorry. If you have a refutation, make it yourself or provide a link to an article from a reputable website.

Mike Huckabee, ex presidential candidate, says he wants to change the Constitution to reflect God, because it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it is to change the Bible.

Well, that was your interpretation of it, if you have a transcript, I will gladly read it. And Mike Huckabee doesn't represent all Christians in this country, regardless of his outlook. I'm guessing he didn't say that he wishes to force everyone to believe in God via law, and if he did, then he's a fool.

If the majority of Christians wanted this country to be a theocracy, it would have been so from its inception.

I think the real question you should ask is why are you so obsessed with God and religion that you start thread after thread when you claim to have no respect for any of it?

What is a 'fanatic'? Anyone that believes in the possibility of intelligent design?

fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.

Yes, I know what the word means, does that cover anyone that believes in the possibility of intelligent design, was the question. It's a word that is subjectively applied by the individual using it.

Oh, absolutely not. Most Christian's I know don't even read that book. (the Bible) LOL!

I've never really cared for the term, "intelligent design." If an intelligent designer designed our eyes, he did a pretty sloppy job.

I don't watch videos, or follow links to videos on here, sorry. If you have a refutation, make it yourself or provide a link to an article from a reputable website.

Mike Huckabee, ex presidential candidate, says he wants to change the Constitution to reflect God, because it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it is to change the Bible.

Well, that was your interpretation of it, if you have a transcript, I will gladly read it. And Mike Huckabee doesn't represent all Christians in this country, regardless of his outlook. I'm guessing he didn't say that he wishes to force everyone to believe in God via law, and if he did, then he's a fool.

If the majority of Christians wanted this country to be a theocracy, it would have been so from its inception.

I don't have a transcript, but those were pretty close to his exact words, and the crowd cheered. I do have it on video though, as previously posted.

You can go right over to youtube and type in "Mike Huckabee, Amend the Constitution to God's Standard." That was not my interpretation of it, that's exactly what he said.

Last edited:
Because faith is what causes people to act. Without it we would be dead from inaction and idleness in a short amount of time
Demonstrably false. Societies have grown and flourished without any requirement for your gawds or anyone else's gawds.

Although, I will concede that faith causes people to act. In the name of your gawds, people have acted with brutality and unimaginable horrors in wars of aggression and conquest.

Do you think the Greeks burned women at the stake? The Greeks were believers in Zeus.

see that's your problem. You assume faith in God is the only type of faith and fail to see that everything we do in life is done by faith.

that's not terribly surprising. Many people are curious about themselves.

fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
  1. 1.

Oh, absolutely not. Most Christian's I know don't even read that book. (the Bible) LOL!

I've never really cared for the term, "intelligent design." If an intelligent designer designed our eyes, he did a pretty sloppy job.

Okay, so I guess you have no interest in having any kind of an honest or serious discussion, I'm not surprised.

fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
  1. 1.

Okay, so I guess you have no interest in having any kind of an honest or serious discussion, I'm not surprised.

No, you just didn't like my answer.

fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
  1. 1.

Your 'answer' is that most Christians don't read the Bible, and that if there is a 'designer', he's not very good since he screwed up your eyes? If you think that answered the question that I asked, then there really is no point in going further. Have a nice day Carla. lol

Because faith is what causes people to act. Without it we would be dead from inaction and idleness in a short amount of time
Demonstrably false. Societies have grown and flourished without any requirement for your gawds or anyone else's gawds.

Although, I will concede that faith causes people to act. In the name of your gawds, people have acted with brutality and unimaginable horrors in wars of aggression and conquest.

Do you think the Greeks burned women at the stake? The Greeks were believers in Zeus.

see that's your problem. You assume faith in God is the only type of faith and fail to see that everything we do in life is done by faith.
Who is this "we" you have assigned yourself as spokesman for? Has the collective "we" come to agreement that you will speak on their behalf?

What I was trying to convey was that there’s an inconsistency in breaking from “reasoning” with the more “feelings” based tenets of religion. Feelings are the least reliable way to make a solid decision. I would hope that you do not make decisions that affect you or your family based upon “feelings” but with comparative analysis, risk/reward assessment and probable outcome. If something feels good, investigate it objectively. See if the good feelings are substantiated. You function with your critical faculties on an ongoing basis, and while you can misinterpret some sensory input, for the most part rationality adheres to parameters that are testable.

I also want to point out that feelings have their place in the human experience, but once a person decides to use their feelings in place of their reason to assess a truth, they abdicate any objectivity. I’ll note that while you may have feelings that lead you to a particular god(s) model, most of the globe feels differently. How do feelings arbitrate the truth between these opposing beliefs?

fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
  1. 1.

Your 'answer' is that most Christians don't read the Bible, and that if there is a 'designer', he's not very good since he screwed up your eyes? If you think that answered the question that I asked, then there really is no point in going further. Have a nice day Carla. lol

No, I said most of the Christians that I know do not read the Bible....not most Christians.

I do not believe that all Christians are fanatics, furthermore, I do believe some are very sincere in their faith. Not all Christians pretend to be superior, just some of them.

This intelligent designer would not get a very good grade on designing our eyes. He/she put the blood vessels and nerves that carry all the visual information to our brain on top of our retina. That's like putting all the wiring of a video camera on top of the lens.--Julia Sweeney

Where the blood vessels go through our retina and into our brain, it causes us to have a blind spot, which we compensate for by hallucinating. Not a very good design.

I'm going to give that intelligent designer a C-. LOL!

uchr_02_img0210.jpg

Last edited:
Delta, when you say that faith is not worthy of respect, it make me and other Christians fear that atheists in power would take away our religious liberties, close down our Churches, and forbid us to teach our faith to our children. If that is NOT your intent, then say so.

I don't respect religious people because I think it's just nonsensical to believe in magical sky people because a Bronze Age storybook written by goat herders says so. It's just foolishness so far as I'm concerned. That doesn't mean I would ever outlaw it or ban churches.

Believe what you want. Believe Pepsi is better than Coke, believe JFK was clipped because of a conspiracy between the mob and the gray aliens from Zeta Reticuli 12, believe that Nickleback is a good band. I won't stop you, but that doesn't mean I won't think you're an idiot for believing any of those things.

Funny how a certain type of atheist - the kind that like to kid themselves that their inability to comprehend faith makes them 'intelligent' - can never complete the other side of a thought.

Faith is a good thing, when it's applied to something real and tangible, otherwise it's just a gateway to insanity.

No, I said most of the Christians that I know do not read the Bible....not most Christians.

I do not believe that all Christians are fanatics, furthermore, I do believe some are very sincere in their faith. Not all Christians pretend to be superior, just some of them.

This intelligent designer would not get a very good grade on designing our eyes. He/she put the blood vessels and nerves that carry all the visual information to our brain on top of our retina. That's like putting all the wiring of a video camera on top of the lens.--Julia Sweeney

Where the blood vessels go through our retina and into our brain, it causes us to have a blind spot, which we compensate for by hallucinating. Not a very good design.

uchr_02_img0210.jpg

How do you know they don't read their Bible, is a question you ask them frequently? You follow them around 24/7 and know what they do in the privacy of their homes?

So are Christians the only group that pretend to be 'superior'? Or is that a human trait that can apply to pretty much any group? Like liberals and atheists as well? I've seen far more atheists calling out Christians and calling them stupid than the other way around, bragging how their far superior intellect won't allow them to believe in 'fairy tales'. Do you want to do a comparison of threads in this forum and see who as more 'arrogant' threads, the atheists or the Christians?

Hey, if you want to criticize your own design and claim that nothing 'intelligent' could have been behind it, that's your prerogative. It's a shame that humanity hasn't figured out a better design altogether for any human part, but then we have answers for very little, let alone life.

uchr_02_img0210.jpg
I'll vote a round of applause to the gawds for that blueprint of the cancer cell.

Clearly, a master stroke of "design".

uchr_02_img0210.jpg
I'll vote a round of applause to the gawds for that blueprint of the cancer cell.

Guess it all depends on what the creator intended when creating human life, you don't get to live forever Hollie, something will eventually kill you, and back to dust you will go.

You weren't intended to exist here forever, therefore, you were not designed to do so.

uchr_02_img0210.jpg

Clearly, the believers in "Intelligent Design" have never smelled a fart. :D

uchr_02_img0210.jpg

Haha... good one..

uchr_02_img0210.jpg

There are so many examples in nature of poor "design", you'd have to think that only incompetent gawds could be responsible.

Forum List

Back