Why does faith deserve respect?

It doesn't

It doesn't deserve any more respect than anything else. But it also doesn't deserve disrespect unless people use is abusively or are narrow minded and arrogant about it. Those who are not religious deserve as much respect for their beliefs as those who are religious, but most often, religious people don't see it that way. Therefore, they earn no respect from me.

Well, you see Esmeralda, non religious people also see it that way, we have proof of that every day here on USMB by the hateful threads started by atheists attacking Christians for their beliefs. So do you hold as much contempt for the atheists who are narrow minded and arrogant about their beliefs, or do you hold your contempt only for the religious who match that description? If you're not applying it equally both ways, why wouldn't you be?

It doesn't

It doesn't deserve any more respect than anything else. But it also doesn't deserve disrespect unless people use is abusively or are narrow minded and arrogant about it. Those who are not religious deserve as much respect for their beliefs as those who are religious, but most often, religious people don't see it that way. Therefore, they earn no respect from me.

Well, you see Esmeralda, non religious people also see it that way, we have proof of that every day here on USMB by the hateful threads started by atheists attacking Christians for their beliefs. So do you hold as much contempt for the atheists who are narrow minded and arrogant about their beliefs, or do you hold your contempt only for the religious who match that description? If you're not applying it equally both ways, why wouldn't you be?

This has nothing to do with the thread topic. Atheism is not a religion. I don't know anything about it; I do not adhere to any organized belief system. I do know that religious people have used their religion to convince me they are good people only to have them turn on me and be as vicious or more vicious than other people of I have dealth with.

According to Christianity, you are supposed to treat people the way you want to be treated, so, based on what you say here, I would not respect you as a Chrisitian. If you treat an athiest with the respect with which you want to be treated, maybe the athiest will be respectful toward you.

It doesn't

This has nothing to do with the thread topic. Atheism is not a religion. I don't know anything about it; I do not adhere to any organized belief system. I do know that religious people have used their religion to convince me they are good people only to have them turn on me and be as vicious or more vicious than other people of I have dealth with.

According to Christianity, you are supposed to treat people the way you want to be treated, so, based on what you say here, I would not respect you as a Chrisitian. If you treat an athiest with the respect with which you want to be treated, maybe the athiest will be respectful toward you.

Okay, so you're biased and can't treat people of faith equally, you give people who don't believe a pass on their behavior whenever they show the same traits as religious people that you complain about. That's all I wanted to know. honesty is in short supply these days.

It doesn't

Okay, so you're biased and can't treat people of faith equally, you give people who don't believe a pass on their behavior whenever they show the same traits as religious people that you complain about. That's all I wanted to know. honesty is in short supply these days.

Atheisam is not a faith. It has nothing to do with this topic. It isn not about being biased. I am not being dishonest. You, however, may be either ignorant or intellectually dishonest when you try to include atheism as a faith. Do your homework. It is not a faith.

It doesn't

Atheisam is not a faith. It has nothing to do with this topic. It isn not about being biased.

You hold people of faith to a different standard of behavior than those who have none, and you only point out that behavior when it is people of faith displaying it, everyone else gets a pass. I'm not arguing that 'atheism' is a religion anywhere in my posts?

Atheisam is not a faith. It has nothing to do with this topic. It isn not about being biased.

You hold people of faith to a different standard of behavior than those who have none, and you only point out that behavior when it is people of faith displaying it, everyone else gets a pass. I'm not arguing that 'atheism' is a religion anywhere in my posts?
Look, I don't really care what you think. And your repeated posts are tiresome; it's a tiresome discussion. I believe that people should act according to their stated beliefs, whatever they are, religious or non religious. People who say they are religious but do not adhere to the tenets of their religion do not have my respect: period. I don't hold them to any different standard of behavior than anyone else. but if you are in my face all the time about how religious you are, and then you don't act according to the tenets of that religion, I am not going to have any respect for you. Period. End of discussion. I have nothing else to say: stop pestering me.

The right to hold any ideas without interference, so long as they don't harm others, deserves respect. And gets it.

The ideas themselves don't have to be respected. But if those holding the ideas are leaving you alone, you leave them alone.

Now, if they try to force you to live by their crazy ideas, you push back, and one way is by pointing out how crazy the ideas are.

So you're saying that 'atheism' isn't being 'pushed' on people in here? People aren't being insulted for not believing as you do? Or it's okay to push your beliefs because they're the 'right' ones? And you think Christians are arrogant? lol

When atheists are holding trillions of dollars worth of non taxed real estate and demanding special privledge your point of WHO is pushing WHAT on WHOM might ring true but that isn't the case now is it.

Sorry you miserable Steelers fan... :lol: All your efforts over the last 2000 years have been wasted on a lie.

If for no other reason than the fact that Americans subsidize religion I believe you all should prove the existance of your gods or start paying the same rate as those that don't pretend they have all the answers.

I'm not so comfortable knowing our government is a co-conspirator in the fraud you all call heaven either. Maybe you could at least prove the existance of heaven since most of those christianity have hoodwinked have bought in on your promise of a perpetual afterlife. I would be happy to give you people free reign if you could just even prove heaven.

Look, I don't really care what you think. And your repeated posts are tiresome; it's a tiresome discussion. I believe that people should act according to their stated beliefs, whatever they are, religious or non religious. People who say they are religious but do not adhere to the tenets of their religion do not have my respect: period. I don't hold them to any different standard of behavior than anyone else. but if you are in my face all the time about how religious you are, and then you don't act according to the tenets of that religion, I am not going to have any respect for you. Period. End of discussion. I have nothing else to say: stop pestering me.

So if they have no 'stated' belief, they're not held to any standards? How bizarre is that????

So if they have no 'stated' belief, they're not held to any standards? How bizarre is that????
Go away. Goddamn, you fucking idiot. You are on ignore.

Guess you can call someone a 'fucking idiot' since I shouldn't have any standards for you since you have no 'stated religion'. Must be nice to treat people the way you do and get a pass for it! Ignore away, you think I care?

Sucks when you can't handle the truth?? lol

why? Because he is right and you don't know how to respond?

you're free to ignore whomever you want. But at least be honest about it.

That's not what she said at all.

I am being honest about it. You are crazy. You can't acuse me of being dishonest. I was completely honest about it. In what way was I dishonest? To say atheism is not a faith? That's not dishonesty, that's fact. Educate yourself. And btw, I'm not an atheist. I'm not protecting them or any other organization. I don't align myself with any group.

I am being honest about it. You are crazy. You can't acuse me of being dishonest. I was completely honest about it. In what way was I dishonest? To say atheism is not a faith? That's not dishonesty, that's fact. Educate yourself. And btw, I'm not an atheist. I'm not protecting them or any other organization. I don't align myself with any group.

I guess you're arguing with yourself or you just like to state the obvious for no reason because no one was saying that atheism was a religion.

I guess you're arguing with yourself or you just like to state the obvious for no reason because no one was saying that atheism was a religion.

She's already stated that she does not have different standards for either religious, or non religious people. You are actually just pestering her now.

She's already stated that she does not have different standards for either religious, or non religious people. You are actually just pestering her now.

She stated that she holds people to whatever their stated beliefs are, atheists don't have 'beliefs'. Not to mention that you will never see her criticizing an atheist for how they treat Christians, but she certainly takes time to call Christians out on their behavior. And I'm hardly pestering her, I'm commenting on her comments, which is what a message board is designed for. If you don't want people responding to your posts, then don't make any. Besides, she has me on ignore. lol

She stated that she holds people to whatever their stated beliefs are, atheists don't have 'beliefs'. Not to mention that you will never see her criticizing an atheist for how they treat Christians, but she certainly takes time to call Christians out on their behavior. And I'm hardly pestering her, I'm commenting on her comments, which is what a message board is designed for. If you don't want people responding to your posts, then don't make any. Besides, she has me on ignore. lol

What do you mean by atheists have no beliefs? I'm an atheist, and I have beliefs.

What do you mean by atheists have no beliefs? I'm an atheist, and I have beliefs.

And what are your beliefs rooted in, or based on?

That all depends on the belief.

I believe in good and evil. I've certainly witnessed both.

That all depends on the belief.

I believe in good and evil. I've certainly witnessed both.

But can you prove you have beliefs?

If you can't prove your beleifs you are no better than those that believe in God and Jesus therefore they must have and still do exist.

Forum List

Back