Why Does Congress Refuse to Declare War

Congress gave permission to president Bush to use ground Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. The permission still stands for president Obama. Harry Truman did not seek permission from Congress to send Troops to Korea. He used the UN for cover and the legality is still being questioned. Bill Clinton didn't seek permission from Congress to use American bombers on a defensless country in Europe. He used NATO for cover. President Obama did not have permission from congress to use American Military technmology to kill Kadhafi's family or aid the so-called rebels. He used NATO for cover.

Was the permission before or after the fact? I really do not know as for all intents it seems the President can declare war.

Also did Ronald ask for permission to invade Grenada? Bomb Libya?

Reagan's use of ground troops in Grenada was subject for a congressional hearing and he was vindicated but the Black Caucus apparently felt some kinship with the Cubans and tried an impeachment resolution. Bush gave Saddam a year to comply with UN sanctions and he had permission from congress well in advance of the Troop deployment. Reagan's attack on Kadhaffi was in response to the Lockerbee bombing. Obama didn't get much criticism in (democrat dominated congress) or the liberal media when he put pressure on Scotland to release the Lockerbee bomber on alleged humanitarian grounds which later were proved to be false. The irony was that Libya posed no threat to the US when Obama authorized Military technology in an attempted assassination of the leader of a sovereign nation. I forgot that Bill Clinton sent Cruise Missiles flying all over the place in Africa and the Mid-east in a vain attempt to show he was in charge after the string of bombings of US embassies in Africa. An asprin factory in Sudan was secretly compensated by the US after Clinton ordered it destroyed.

Congress gave permission to president Bush to use ground Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. The permission still stands for president Obama. Harry Truman did not seek permission from Congress to send Troops to Korea. He used the UN for cover and the legality is still being questioned. Bill Clinton didn't seek permission from Congress to use American bombers on a defensless country in Europe. He used NATO for cover. President Obama did not have permission from congress to use American Military technmology to kill Kadhafi's family or aid the so-called rebels. He used NATO for cover.

Was the permission before or after the fact? I really do not know as for all intents it seems the President can declare war.

Also did Ronald ask for permission to invade Grenada? Bomb Libya?

Reagan's use of ground troops in Grenada was subject for a congressional hearing and he was vindicated but the Black Caucus apparently felt some kinship with the Cubans and tried an impeachment resolution. Bush gave Saddam a year to comply with UN sanctions and he had permission from congress well in advance of the Troop deployment. Reagan's attack on Kadhaffi was in response to the Lockerbee bombing. Obama didn't get much criticism in (democrat dominated congress) or the liberal media when he put pressure on Scotland to release the Lockerbee bomber on alleged humanitarian grounds which later were proved to be false. The irony was that Libya posed no threat to the US when Obama authorized Military technology in an attempted assassination of the leader of a sovereign nation. I forgot that Bill Clinton sent Cruise Missiles flying all over the place in Africa and the Mid-east in a vain attempt to show he was in charge after the string of bombings of US embassies in Africa. An asprin factory in Sudan was secretly compensated by the US after Clinton ordered it destroyed.

Got it. I dont even remeber congress giving Ronald a hard time. Guess after that there really can't be any Republican objection to the "new" Presidental power to declare war without going back on the hero.

The cruise missle 90's. Clinton was in love with them things.

I figure since the 80's we must have spent out tax dollars covertly in Libya trying to foster an uprising kinda like them poor Kurds. May as well support it or imagine the bad press lol.

Are most members inactual agreement the President has too much power to go to war? I fully believe Obama should have had to at least sit with and get the approval of a Congressional foreign relations board to do unto Libya something which we would declare war for if it were done to us.

Nah, vote by a closed session of Congress. Screw it. Whoever can make it to DC in six hours if they were not there or vote via internet. Make the chaps earn their pay.

War has been going out of fashion since Vietnam, and Afghanistan and Iraq have put the kibosh on it coming back in style for some time. They also tend to be unpopular vis-a-vis reelection.

Why seek a declaration of war when you can get other nations to help pay for it. I don't know if you noticed, but our economy sucks ass right now. Our National debt will soon surpass our GDP. Not to mention that we still have troops in Germany, Japan, Iraq and Afghanistan. Our military (and it budget) is spread kinda thin as is. BTW, declare war on who and what reason? A group? The entire country? An organization? and what act of war or threat did they commit on the US? How much more will you have to borrow from China to fund this war Obama should be asking congress and the broke American taxpayer to fund? How soon do you want to see the Dollar become worthless and the US become a third world country? We need to get out of these foreign affairs and fix ourselves domestically.

Exactly who would you want us to declare war on?

I think he is asking why we engage in wars. Like Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Libya. Yet Congress has not Officially Declared a war since WWII. Why not, I assume is what he wants to know.

I think he answered his own question. They are Cowards, They know if they do not officially Declare war it gives them Political cover and keeps all the Heat on the Executive, If Congress Officially Declares war they lose their cover. Plain and simple.

I think he is asking why we engage in wars. Like Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Libya. Yet Congress has not Officially Declared a war since WWII. Why not, I assume is what he wants to know.

I think he answered his own question. They are Cowards, They know if they do not officially Declare war it gives them Political cover and keeps all the Heat on the Executive, If Congress Officially Declares war they lose their cover. Plain and simple.

If you babies think Congress has the power to declare war on it's own you are younger and stupider than you look. Congress authorizes the president's request to declare war.

The U. S. house demanded that Obama explain his authority to engage U.S. military in combat in Libya. Obama's response: he is authorized by the United Nations.

A president who yields U.S. sovereignty to a one-world government is in my opinion impeachable. Where, when and whether or not the U.S. military should be used is a decision constitutionally invested in the house of representatives. I would immediately commense impeachment proceedings against Obama in the house for violation of the constitution and the war powers act, and then let the senate decide whether to remove him.

The people we have been bombing and shooting. Or do we just continue as we have because it's too much of a hassle to follow the constitution.

Who are the people that we're bombing and shooting? And who is it that benefits from the deaths of those we bomb and shoot? Can you tell me what the goal of our bombing and shooting is? Can you tell me why WE'RE bombing and shooting?

Last edited:

If you babies think Congress has the power to declare war on it's own you are younger and stupider than you look. Congress authorizes the president's request to declare war.
That isn't true. Congress has the constitutional power to declare war. Let us look at Article I section 8 of the Constitution.
constitution said:
The Congress shall have the power....To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;
You can't get much clearer than that.

Forum List

Back