Why Do Democrats Oppose Voter ID?

1) I think that forcing people to produce a picture ID will NOT eliminate voter fraud or even curtail it.

2) It will mostly serve to reduce the amount of voters who would normally vote democrat, thus giving me great pause as to the actual motivations central to this issue.

3) I believe that most dems have taken up this issue because they understand that it is being used as a tool by the right to shrink the dem voter base.

It will mostly serve to reduce the amount of voters who would normally vote democrat,

How will it do that?

Because you'll actually have to be alive to vote.

So, how many "dead people" have actually voted???

I'm going with NONE! :biggrin:

Conservatives are always crowing about their devotion to the original intent of the founders...

...what did the founders say about the requirement of photo ID?

What did the founders say about Blacks and Women voting?

and this was never an issue until the democrats started pushing all this same day registration and polls should be open 32 hours a day, 9 days a week for 6 months prior to an election. allow no registration for a period of a couple week before polls open so that the integrity of the roles can be worked to check for felons, verify addresses and the like and I am will to compromise on the ID thing some.

I was a member of a site in 2012 that very obviously had some paid democratic posters. Just to toy with them on election day, I made it sound like my area had gone heavily for Obama in 2008 with record black turn out but nobody was showing up in 2012. They spent the better part of the day trying to coax my location out of me presumably so they could send word for the local party to get everybody out to the polls. They each denied being paid posters but never returned to the site once Obama was called the winner. It was pretty obvious to most members all along from their posts that they were just talking points spreaders.

Sure they did!

:cuckoo:

Well I wouldn't expect you to be bright enough to recognize a paid poster, but both parties astroturf, as well as others. Any time you see a post of someone bullish on buying gold or talking about an impending economic collapse, look at their post history. That is where I see it most persistently.

BTW, someone in this conversation used to work for a PAC that practically had offices in the DCCC and knows how the game is played from the inside :bye1:

1) I think that forcing people to produce a picture ID will NOT eliminate voter fraud or even curtail it.

2) It will mostly serve to reduce the amount of voters who would normally vote democrat, thus giving me great pause as to the actual motivations central to this issue.

3) I believe that most dems have taken up this issue because they understand that it is being used as a tool by the right to shrink the dem voter base.

It will mostly serve to reduce the amount of voters who would normally vote democrat,

How will it do that?

Because you'll actually have to be alive to vote.

So, how many "dead people" have actually voted???

I'm going with NONE! :biggrin:

You must be a typical, low-info, Dem voter.

WikiLeaks: Indian politicians 'bought votes with cash tucked inside newspapers'
Indian political leaders admitted widespread electoral corruption and told American diplomats how they had bought votes with cash tucked inside morning newspapers, according to cables disclosed by WikiLeaks.

Yup, that voter ID stuff is FOOLproof.

How many of those people that voted weren't who they said they were?

Voter ID isn't an attempt to legislate morality or to restrict bribery. It's to make sure that people are casting their ballot for who they intend to, or not voting at all if that's their choice.

I can't see why GHANA has figured out that honest elections are key to maintaining the rule of law but AMERICA hasn't. Ghana uses BIOMETRIC SCANS to confirm ID. All we're asking for is ink on paper, and Democrooks and bleeding heart liberals act like it's the end of the world.

Conservatives are always crowing about their devotion to the original intent of the founders...

...what did the founders say about the requirement of photo ID?

What did the founders say about Blacks and Women voting?

They didn't say anything about either blacks or women voting... As BOTH Blacks and Woman voted all over the colonies... not every colony/state provided for women to vote, but all states provided for free men to vote.

There was no need of an ID, because votes were held in local precincts where everyone knew everyone PERSONALLY... . Where someone was caught voting AS SOMEONE else... the penalty was HARSH. Most states required a month in the stocks, others tarring and feathers, and a month in the stocks.

Tar and Feathering went the way of the wind, because few survived. But it didn't go slowly, lasting well into the 19th century, with the last known instance being of a teenage boy who stole a barrel of apples in 1837 Maryland.

Democrats stand where Republicans used to stand, which is to be against national i.d. cards. Remember when Republicans used to rail against "Big Brother" forcing you to have photo i.d.?

People who don't drive and aren't students don't have photo i.d.

By forcing them to pay for photo i.d., it amounts to a poll tax on those people. That's wrong and Democrats are now the only party that still understands that.

How will it do that?

Thank you for the question.

People who don't drive (like poor people) generally don't even have an ID.

Blacks and Hispanics, other minorities and disabled or homeless people would not be permitted to vote.

Redesign the EBT Card so the it can also be used as a picture ID. This would solve that problem plus cut down on EBT Card fraud.

Democrats stand where Republicans used to stand, which is to be against national i.d. cards. Remember when Republicans used to rail against "Big Brother" forcing you to have photo i.d.?

By forcing them to pay for photo i.d., it amounts to a poll tax on those people. That's wrong and Democrats are now the only party that still understands that.
And I suppose they don't cash checks either, or travel by air? In today's world it is impossible to live without a photo id even if you live off the grid.

Why would requiring ID to vote shrink ANY legal voter base? Oh , that's right it wouldn't. Are you suggesting that the Dems voter base is made up of illegal voters?

"Why Do Democrats Oppose Voter ID?"

Because there's no objective, documented evidence that voter fraud by identity exists to the extent that the outcome of any election was changed.

Because voters provide identification when they register to vote, where to require voters to 'prove' who they are at every election absent evidence that a given voter is indeed attempting to commit fraud, assumes the voter is 'guilty' and must prove himself innocent. That's not how our legal system works.

And because of the above, voter ID laws manifest an undue burden to the fundamental right to vote, as the state has failed to meet its requirement to justify placing restrictions on that right, rendering voter ID laws invalid and un-Constitutional.

well, much as the right is losing the battle over gay marriage, you are losing this battle, so both sides need to shut the fuck up about the two issues.

BULLSHIT.

When I was 15, before I had any perceived need for ID I got a state ID for no other purpose than my own feeling of having something official in my wallet in 1988. I had a student ID from my high school, but it was a bullshit laminate I could have made myself.

Furthermore anyone who buys cigarettes, beer, lotto tickets, registers for student loans, cashes checks, applies for welfare, food stamps or a job has to have ID. You can't be a living breathing human being in the modern world without legitimate government ID.

Has anyone ever read the DOJ's, specifically the Civil Rights Department's take on voter ID laws? This pertains to Georgia and other states:

Some snippets:

It bears noting in this regard that an investigative report by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in November 2000 found that 5,412 votes had been cast in the name of deceased individuals in Georgia elections since 1980 -- some on multiple occasions -- and more than 15,000 dead people remained on the active voting rolls statewide at that time. See Jingle Davis, Even Death Can’t Stop Some Voters Records: Illegally Cast Ballots Not Rare, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, November 6, 2000

DDS has racial data on nearly 60 percent of its license and identification holders. Of those individuals, 28 percent are African-American, a percentage slightly higher than the African-American percentage of the voting age population in Georgia. These data indicate that, of the DDS applicants who register to vote, African-American Georgians hold DDS identification at a slightly higher rate

This is rather enlightening:

Election data from Georgia as well as other states with voter identification requirements likewise reveals that, contrary to the presumptions of some, voter identification provisions have had no adverse impact on African-American voter turnout. For example, in the November 2000 election, the first presidential election in which Georgia’s original identification requirement was in effect, the Census Bureau reported that turnout of eligible African-American voters increased from the 1996 election, from 45.6% to 49.6%. White voter turnout, on the other hand, declined slightly from 52.3% to 52.2% after the voter identification requirement. In the November 2004 presidential election, when the new identification requirements of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (“HAVA”) were first effective nationwide,5 the Census Bureau reported that the turnout among African-American voters in Georgia went up again, from 49.6% to 54.4%.

Florida, for example, passed an identification requirement in 1998. Yet African-American turnout in the presidential election, as a percentage of registration, actually increased from the 1996 to the 2000 election, and, significantly, at a higher rate than white turnout. After Alabama passed an identification requirement in 2002, the turnout rate of its African-American voters as a percentage of registration rose by 8.3 percentage points from the 2000 to the 2004 presidential election, or over twice the rate of increase among white voters, and the turnout rate among African-American voters in Alabama actually exceeded that of white voters.

A lot more information here:

Request Rejected
Request Rejected

I don't know why the links say request rejected, but the go to the DOJ and a PDF file from the DOJ.

Has anyone ever read the DOJ's, specifically the Civil Rights Department's take on voter ID laws? This pertains to Georgia and other states:

Some snippets:

It bears noting in this regard that an investigative report by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in November 2000 found that 5,412 votes had been cast in the name of deceased individuals in Georgia elections since 1980 -- some on multiple occasions -- and more than 15,000 dead people remained on the active voting rolls statewide at that time. See Jingle Davis, Even Death Can’t Stop Some Voters Records: Illegally Cast Ballots Not Rare, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, November 6, 2000

DDS has racial data on nearly 60 percent of its license and identification holders. Of those individuals, 28 percent are African-American, a percentage slightly higher than the African-American percentage of the voting age population in Georgia. These data indicate that, of the DDS applicants who register to vote, African-American Georgians hold DDS identification at a slightly higher rate

This is rather enlightening:

Election data from Georgia as well as other states with voter identification requirements likewise reveals that, contrary to the presumptions of some, voter identification provisions have had no adverse impact on African-American voter turnout. For example, in the November 2000 election, the first presidential election in which Georgia’s original identification requirement was in effect, the Census Bureau reported that turnout of eligible African-American voters increased from the 1996 election, from 45.6% to 49.6%. White voter turnout, on the other hand, declined slightly from 52.3% to 52.2% after the voter identification requirement. In the November 2004 presidential election, when the new identification requirements of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (“HAVA”) were first effective nationwide,5 the Census Bureau reported that the turnout among African-American voters in Georgia went up again, from 49.6% to 54.4%.

Florida, for example, passed an identification requirement in 1998. Yet African-American turnout in the presidential election, as a percentage of registration, actually increased from the 1996 to the 2000 election, and, significantly, at a higher rate than white turnout. After Alabama passed an identification requirement in 2002, the turnout rate of its African-American voters as a percentage of registration rose by 8.3 percentage points from the 2000 to the 2004 presidential election, or over twice the rate of increase among white voters, and the turnout rate among African-American voters in Alabama actually exceeded that of white voters.

A lot more information here:

Request Rejected
Request Rejected

I don't know why the links say request rejected, but the go to the DOJ and a PDF file from the DOJ.

And yet the racist liberals INSIST that blacks are too lazy, too stupid, or too incompetent to get ID.

Pitiful

If Democrats were genuinely concerned about the rights of people with non state issued ID, they would not limit the cause to fighting voter ID. For starters, they would lift the requirement of ID for access to government buildings and air travel. Why they might want to lift the ID requirement for access into the Democrat National Convention.
At the end of the Civil War some of the Southern states went to elaborate lengths to keep the ex-slaves from voting. One technique was an education test with such questions as what was the Confederate president's name as compared to another question: name the wives of the presidents of the United States. Quite effective. Preventing people in certain areas from voting is also effective.

Forum List

Back