Why did we stop wearing hats?

They usually trace it to JFK who didn't normally wear one

men-street-style-retro-looks-3.jpg

In every old movie, you could see similar images as the above. I was just wondering, what happened that most people stopped wearing these kinds of hats. and when?

I still do! But then I'm old!

Celebrities control fashion. JFK did not wear a hat and so goes the fashion. In 1934 Clark Gable starred in Frank Capra's It Happened one Night. There was a scene in which he took off his shirt and did not wear an undershirt. Later that year, it was noted that there had been a sharp downturn in men's undershirt sales.

Last edited:
Social conformity and social conditioning.

Hats have been banned in schools for several generations, so we are raised up not used to wearing them. If someone tries to wear a casual wear heat in public, they look out of place, so therefore no one does it.
I don't mind looking out of place.

I also don't mind being the only one armed with a full sized 45ACP under my cut-off sweatshirt either.

I also don't mind being the only one armed with a full sized 45ACP under my cut-off sweatshirt either.

Aren't you cool?
Yay though I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil,
For there is nothing on this Earth that I cannot kill.
I don't care about "cool".
I care about alive.

Aren't you cool?
Yay though I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil,
For there is nothing on this Earth that I cannot kill.
I don't care about "cool".
I care about alive.
Then I guess the appropriate comment is; aren't you scared?

I adore fedoras .... I think men wearing fedoras are so dandy!!!!I have some pictures with fedoras myself ...but I love caps too ...vintage caps

me here wearing a cap (I cut my hair though, long hair is not so fashionable now....I have a wavy bob now :p )

This sort of cap....a 1920s kind of cap

does anybody here collects vintage hats?

Americans don't toil in the sun like they used to, therefore hats are worn less... I wear a baseball style hat everyday....but they are not good for working in the hot sun, since they don't cover parts of the head or neck that is need shaded......

Forum List

Back