Why did Hitler declare war on the U.S.?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Hitler is often described as a "mad man" whose declaration of war against the U.S. was the worst strategic blunder of WW2. But I am wondering if there may have been a rational basis for his decision.

In December 1941 the German army was at the gates of Moscow, poised for what it seemed to be an imminent defeat of the USSR. In that event, Germany would have established an impregnable Fortress Europe for years to come. In contrast Germany's ally Japan was about to be squashed by the far greater industrial resources of the U.S., possibly creating a new world empire even more threatening to Germany than that of the British.

By quickly declaring war against the U.S. could Hitler have decided that drawing off U.S. resources to fight an unwinnable war in Europe would extend the war with Japan (possibly to a stalemate) and eventually lead to a comprehensive peace treaty?

There is almost no documentation of Hitler's thinking on this matter, but being a monster does not necessarily make one a moron. Any thoughts on this theory?

Because Germany, Italy and ja6pan were members of the axis and a declaration of war against om0ne member of the axis was a declaration against all three per their agreement. I don't think Hitler was in any way happy about Japan picking the fight with America at that time but I'm sure we were in his sights for the future, just not right then. He'd intended to bump off Great Britian first then take on America once he had a chance to prepare.

I agree with this:

Germany and Italy were under no obligation to declare war on the U.S. Their treaty with Japan was a defensive treaty, since Japan attacked us, it did not apply. Japan likewise was under no obligation to declare war on the USSR when Germany launched Barbarossa.

It's hard to say what Hitler was thinking (or if he was thinking at all) but a theory that makes sense to me is that he hoped Japan would be so grateful for Hitler's show of support in declaring war on the US that they would return the favor by declaring war on the USSR and attacking them from Manchuria.

Why did Germany and Italy declare war on the United States? | Yahoo Answers

Because Germany, Italy and ja6pan were members of the axis and a declaration of war against om0ne member of the axis was a declaration against all three per their agreement. I don't think Hitler was in any way happy about Japan picking the fight with America at that time but I'm sure we were in his sights for the future, just not right then. He'd intended to bump off Great Britian first then take on America once he had a chance to prepare.

Hitler broke all his other agreements....why not this one?

Hitler had no chance of attacking America

He couldn’t cross 30 miles of English Channel, how could he cross 3000 miles of Atlantic Ocean?

I agree with this:

Germany and Italy were under no obligation to declare war on the U.S. Their treaty with Japan was a defensive treaty, since Japan attacked us, it did not apply. Japan likewise was under no obligation to declare war on the USSR when Germany launched Barbarossa.

It's hard to say what Hitler was thinking (or if he was thinking at all) but a theory that makes sense to me is that he hoped Japan would be so grateful for Hitler's show of support in declaring war on the US that they would return the favor by declaring war on the USSR and attacking them from Manchuria.

Why did Germany and Italy declare war on the United States? | Yahoo Answers
You would think Hitler would have a clear agreement that Japan would declare war on the USSR and launch an invasion BEFORE he agreed to declare war.

He couldn’t cross 30 miles of English Channel, how could he cross 3000 miles of Atlantic Ocean?
You are thinking of trump!

Because Germany, Italy and Japan were members of the Axis and a declaration of war against one member of the Axis was a declaration against all three per their agreement.
Incorrect. ... :cool:

The Axis pact was a "defensive" agreement. They were to help each other if attacked by another country.

Since Japan was the aggressor and had attacked America.

Germany did not have an obligation under the pact to declare war on the U.S.

You'd need to ask your democrat friends that one. They're good at not living up to their word etc. Just like all of those assholes in Congress who swore a solemn oath to uphold our constitution.

I knew one of you would bring Trump into this, you can't help it.

Hitler is often described as a "mad man" whose declaration of war against the U.S. was the worst strategic blunder of WW2. But I am wondering if there may have been a rational basis for his decision.

In December 1941 the German army was at the gates of Moscow, poised for what it seemed to be an imminent defeat of the USSR. In that event, Germany would have established an impregnable Fortress Europe for years to come. In contrast Germany's ally Japan was about to be squashed by the far greater industrial resources of the U.S., possibly creating a new world empire even more threatening to Germany than that of the British.

By quickly declaring war against the U.S. could Hitler have decided that drawing off U.S. resources to fight an unwinnable war in Europe would extend the war with Japan (possibly to a stalemate) and eventually lead to a comprehensive peace treaty?

There is almost no documentation of Hitler's thinking on this matter, but being a monster does not necessarily make one a moron. Any thoughts on this theory?

You're right, being a monster doesn't necessarily make one a moron. However, heavy drug usage can cause one to have serious errors in their judgement.

Hitler was hopped up on lots of drugs, everything from opiates to methamphetamine. Check out the History Channel sometime when a show called "High Hitler" comes on. It details it quite nicely.

Because we declared war on Japan...

... an' Germany was inna defense pact with `em...

... kinda like Russia is in one with Iran.

You're right, being a monster doesn't necessarily make one a moron. However, heavy drug usage can cause one to have serious errors in their judgement.

Hitler was hopped up on lots of drugs, everything from opiates to methamphetamine. Check out the History Channel sometime when a show called "High Hitler" comes on. It details it quite nicely.
Other than being stupid, you believe this why?

The real reason was that Hitler wanted the Japs to open a large Eastern offensive against the Soviets. By declaring war on the US that not only strengthened the alliance but knew that would tie up American troops in Europe that would make his Jap buddies happy.

The Japs never did what Hitler wanted and he got his hands full with the Americans in Europe.

He wasn't a military genus.

Because Germany, Italy and Japan were members of the Axis and a declaration of war against one member of the Axis was a declaration against all three per their agreement.
Incorrect. ... :cool:

The Axis pact was a "defensive" agreement. They were to help each other if attacked by another country.

Since Japan was the aggressor and had attacked America.

Germany did not have an obligation under the pact to declare war on the U.S.
Japan did nothing when Germany went to war with England and France

The real reason was that Hitler wanted the Japs to open a large Eastern offensive against the Soviets. By declaring war on the US that not only strengthened the alliance but knew that would tie up American troops in Europe that would make his Jap buddies happy.

The Japs never did what Hitler wanted and he got his hands full with the Americans in Europe.

He wasn't a military genus.
Quite a risk for Hitler
You think he would wait for Japan to actually open that front.

You'd need to ask your democrat friends that one. They're good at not living up to their word etc. Just like all of those assholes in Congress who swore a solemn oath to uphold our constitution.
What a totally worthless post

Who said Trump? I didn't see anyone else say Trump. Maybe you're having complications from your TDS. It seems Trump is on your poor pitiful mind constantly, 24-7. That's what derangement is ya know. He owns your soul. LOL
HE's in there in your head pounding Trump, TRump, TRUmp, TRUMP, TRUMP.

Who said Trump? I didn't see anyone else say Trump. Maybe you're having complications from your TDS. It seems Trump is on your poor pitiful mind constantly, 24-7. That's what derangement is ya know. He owns your soul. LOL
HE's in there in your head pounding Trump, TRump, TRUmp, TRUMP, TRUMP.
I don't have TDS. Look...

screenshot_910.png

Because the US declared war on Japan and Germany. After of course pushing Japan into attacking Pearl Harbor and then also allowing it to happen.

Forum List

Back