Who Will Lose Their Job to the Machines?

Who Will Lose Their Job to the Machines

William Lee invented a stocking frame knitting machine in 1589. After traveling to London to present his invention to Queen Elizabeth I, she responded, “Thou aimest high, Master Lee. Consider thou what the invention could do to my poor subjects. It would assuredly bring to them ruin by depriving them of employment, thus making them beggars.” The Queen denied him the patent. Why? Because job security is not a new concern.

The researchers estimated that about 47% of the U.S. workforce was at risk.

http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf

Over 700 jobs and their risks.

See? It's not immigrants who Red States should be concerned about.

dear the wheel plow hammer screw PC car and electric motor have displaced billions of workers and still we have only 5% unemployment.

Do you now see how stupid the liberal is?? What other conclusion is possible??
47% of the unemployed have stop looking for work

William Lee invented a stocking frame knitting machine in 1589. After traveling to London to present his invention to Queen Elizabeth I, she responded, “Thou aimest high, Master Lee. Consider thou what the invention could do to my poor subjects. It would assuredly bring to them ruin by depriving them of employment, thus making them beggars.” The Queen denied him the patent. Why? Because job security is not a new concern.

http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf

dear the wheel plow hammer screw PC car and electric motor have displaced billions of workers and still we have only 5% unemployment.

Actually 47% of the adult population in this country is without employment. 95% of those by choice...Welfare leeches.
That's impossible.
In the month of April 2015, there were 148,523,000 people employed. The total adult population is 242,542,000. Therefore 61% of adult thepopulation is working and 39% are not working, simple math.
US Employment and Jobs Department of Numbers
Total population by child and adult populations KIDS COUNT Data Center

Actually 47% of the adult population in this country is without employment. 95% of those by choice...Welfare leeches.
That's impossible.
In the month of April 2015, there were 148,523,000 people employed. The total adult population is 242,542,000. Therefore 61% of adult thepopulation is working and 39% are not working, simple math.

- They don't require a math test to join the Tea Party.

Some years ago I happened to pick up an interesting book entitled
"The End Of Work,"
by Jeremy Rifkin. It's an interesting read and some would say: prophetic.
Jeremy Rifkin The Foundation on Economic Trends Books

That's impossible.

- They don't require a math test to join the Tea Party.
Can they spell "math"?

A
Rat
In
The
House
Might
Eat
The
Ice
Cream

When I was a kid in like the first grade, a teacher told us this as a way to remember how to spell some of the difficult words, like arithmetic. And to a first grader, that was a hard word.

"The End Of Work," by Jeremy Rifkin. It's an interesting read and some would say: prophetic.
I read a couple reviews and hope to read the book. The end of work has been the goal of humans for centuries but now it appears it maybe within our grasp, the Utopian world of leisure doesn't look so good.

The work ethic is strongly rooted in all societies. The more people in the workforce that become redundant the more social problems were're going to have. I think we're going to have some major changes.

"The End Of Work," by Jeremy Rifkin. It's an interesting read and some would say: prophetic.
I read a couple reviews and hope to read the book. The end of work has been the goal of humans for centuries but now it appears it maybe within our grasp, the Utopian world of leisure doesn't look so good.

The work ethic is strongly rooted in all societies. The more people in the workforce that become redundant the more social problems were're going to have. I think we're going to have some major changes.

Perhaps the work ethic is something that can be transfered into a computer program and accessed by humans as needed. Work in a virtual reality environment my be just as fulfilling as that in the material world! SOme video game simulations are already approaching that possibility!

Just because you may not have to shuck peas doesn't mean you won't stop working. I suspect some will, but most won't.

Well , eventually everyone will loose their jobs to robots and computers, but that's still a bit far away in the future fifty to seventy years in the future.
Society will have to reacomodate for this new situation.

Well , eventually everyone will loose their jobs to robots and computers, but that's still a bit far away in the future fifty to seventy years in the future.
Society will have to reacomodate for this new situation.
Anti education Republicans will be completely left out.

Perhaps the work ethic is something that can be transfered into a computer program and accessed by humans as needed. Work in a virtual reality environment my be just as fulfilling as that in the material world! SOme video game simulations are already approaching that possibility!
Yes, I suppose you could pay people based on their performance on Sims or Pokemon, but I don't see that is any better than sending them a check every month. People will always find some leisure activity to occupy their time but I really don't think Pokemon or any other computer game is going to give people a sense worth that a job provides.

Just because you may not have to shuck peas doesn't mean you won't stop working. I suspect some will, but most won't.
I think we would probably end up with some sort of job sharing where most people worked only a few days a week. In Mexico a few years ago, there was some sort of incentive for employers to hire more people with less hours of work in order to increase employment.

I think we would probably end up with some sort of job sharing where most people worked only a few days a week. In Mexico a few years ago, there was some sort of incentive for employers to hire more people with less hours of work in order to increase employment.
Still, technology costs money. If someone wants something they will get creative and find a way to earn it.

Yes, I suppose you could pay people based on their performance on Sims or Pokemon, but I don't see that is any better than sending them a check every month. People will always find some leisure activity to occupy their time but I really don't think Pokemon or any other computer game is going to give people a sense worth that a job provides.

The kind of virtual reality I had in mind is far more complex than Pokeman or any other mere video game. I envision a virtual world similar to that depicted in a movie called "The Matrix" or the training simulator aboard the Captain Kirk's Enterprise.. Sure, right now we can shrug it off as science fiction and likely improbable for the near future but I can see it coming. By the time machines are doing everything for us, the effects of Moore's Law will have unleashed technological wonders we can now only dream of!

The kind of virtual reality I had in mind is far more complex than Pokeman or any other mere video game. I envision a virtual world similar to that depicted in a movie called "The Matrix" or the training simulator aboard the Captain Kirk's Enterprise.. Sure, right now we can shrug it off as science fiction and likely improbable for the near future but I can see it coming. By the time machines are doing everything for us, the effects of Moore's Law will have unleashed technological wonders we can now only dream of!
But wouldn't it be just be pastime?

I see where you're going with this. I agree, a sense of purpose has to be included in a program that would synthesize work ethic.

If everyone could choose a program centered around what they really like to do, I suspect that physical labor would probably be the least desired. Cerebral pursuits would likely be the most popular regardless of cognitive ability. Just think of being able to Captain your own starship and visit myriad worlds just like Kirk. You and a group of friends could go anywhere and do anything you desire and never leave the virtual world right at home. You would, of course, have to return to your own bodies once in a while to bathe and to eat or take care of some other physical needs.

Consider also that in the virtual world you won't age.

Physics was a past time to Einstein and Galileo.

If robots are going to replace 47% of the jobs, than we don't need these high levels of immigration to begin with.

But yea, better stop technological innovation, remember all those jobs the production line cost? :lol:

These researchers know nothing of economics or history.

If robots are going to replace 47% of the jobs, than we don't need these high levels of immigration to begin with.
Republicans are too old, too fat and not educated. We need immigrants in Red States.

Republicans are too old, too fat and not educated. We need immigrants in Red States.
I agree, we need more illiterate mexican indians, I won't rest until we replicate mexico city's slums here.

Forum List

Back