CDZ Who set the medical field up when it comes to it's outrageous cost ??

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by beagle9, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,540

Hospital administrators, around 40 grafty Congresses, Insurance lobbyists, State comptrollers, and Pharmaceutical lobbyists. That's who's involved and a minimum of how long the cost has been snowballing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +560
    I have no faith in humanity working "not for profit". We just need to regulate them and start deciding how we are going to deal with increasing medical costs.

The crux of the matter is, if Donald Trump needs gene therapy and a new set of lungs every 5 years he can afford it and will get it.

If Dan Marino does, he can afford it once, maybe twice, but the second time you and me are going to have to pay extra because his insurance company bit the bullet and wasn't charging him enough.

Extend that to the guy working on your car. If he needs a kidney are you going to say:
    "tough go die"

are you going to pay for it like we sorta have been for a bunch of years (sort of, it helps to be upper middle class at least I suspect)

or are you gonna admit you are gonna help him pay for it ahead of time and create a healthcare system?

3. beagle9

beagle9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,660
    . We just need a healthcare system that works for all of humanity here, and we need to quit with this one human being being more important than the other when it comes to how much healthcare one can afford than another can afford. We are all God's children in my opinion, and we have enough God given sense to stop the insanity. I am willing to contribute to a system that covers all Americans equally in this country. What ever that system is, I am pledging to contribute to it. We all deserve a chance, and money should never be an obstacle that stands between the life and death of a human being getting a fair chance like anyone else would.

4. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,576
    There isn't going to be such a healthcare system. What there will be is what we have now: "one size fits most/many."

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,739
    Pharma prices in general are for book-keeping purposes only. The "retail price" does not exist. It's all inflation to counter the beatings and shakedowns that the INSURERS do to providers. Not only applies to Pharma prices, but also applies to Doctor services.

Insurance companies negotiate on "discounts" with providers. Only way for providers to negotiate AGAINST these horrid discounts is to jack their "retail" or rack prices. So that inflation is NOT THE COST to anybody.

When I get an insurance "discount" from CVS --- doesn't mean that ANYONE PAID the difference in cost. I've investigated and asked. Walgreens/CVS gets NO reimbursement on 80% of what they sell at "discount" to you. IN FACT -- I got stuck because of ObamaCare and had to find a way around the "RETAIL" prices on drugs that CVS was asking. I told them that NOBODY ever pays that cost. Embarrassed good friends behind the counter with people waiting. They pulled me aside, gave me a "GoodRX" discount card and SUDDENLY --- the drug was CHEAPER TO ME than anything an Insurance company had ever negotiated.

GoodRX and others have figured out that there is no real "retail" or list price for drugs. They do this because they NEGOTIATE with the pharmacies directly in response for providing advertising for them. Something the insurers do not do. IN FACT -- pharmacies LOVE GoodRx because INSURERS are in COMPETITION with them as MOST insurers push their own "by mail" pharmacies.

WalMart ALSO figured this out. Which is why the cheapest place in America to buy Pharma is at Walmart.

This applies to your GP doc as well. He/She have been PUMMELED TO DEATH on pricing discounts. They make LESS than veterinarians for similar services and yet vet services are CHEAPER to the uninsured. So they RAISE their rates to negotiate with the insurers and then TRY TO convince "non-insured" patients that those rates for services are real. But they are not. NOBODY pays them. It's ALL negotiable.

And the BEST KIND OF NEGOTIATING, is to have the REAL prices of products and services governed by OPEN competition in a free market WITHOUT so many intermediaries. Right now -- even DOCs, don't know what stuff cost..

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,540
    A medicine I could get 2 years ago for $16 cash is now $56.

So I find someone with insurance can get it for $11 and pay them $20.

Such bullshit it is.

Big Pharma is so locked into the government it's not even funny or right

7. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,739
    SERIOUSLY -- try the Pharma cards like GoodRx. They fixed a LOT of that. Same thing as having an insurer -- "discount" it for you... No questions. No personal details. No nagging you with emails and advertising.

8. beagle9

beagle9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,660
    . The system needs fixing, and the inconsistencies worked out for all involved.. It shouldn't be that a person should have to hear information on the street so to speak, but rather that everyone knows exactly what is going on, and the correct information is obtained as is needed by the system being set up this way.

9. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,455

No, most of the health insurance plans come from nonprofits such as the Blue Cross Blue Shield companies, Kaiser Permanente or government programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, or the VA. Of the 154 health plans in the United States with at least 100,000 enrollees, 97 (or 63%) are nonprofit, 41 are for-profit (27%), and 16 (10%) are government.

Being nonprofit does not mean you don't make money; that is revenues exceeds expenses. Nonprofit simple means no one owns a the business in the way that shareholders own a for-profit corporation. Thus income can not be distributed to owners. All income is retained within the organization to expand and enhance services.

In a nonprofit corporation Income cannot personally benefit any individual, as it does in a profit-driven corporation. Salaries are not considered personal benefits because they are necessary for operation of the corporation. However, an excessive salary may cause a corporation to lose its nonprofit status making it subject to taxes.
    http://www.nonprofithealthcare.org/resources/BasicFacts-NonprofitHealthPlans.pdf
    Government funds nearly two-thirds of U.S. health care costs: American Journal of Public Health study | Physicians for a National Health Program

10. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,455
    I've used GoodRx several times. It's a good supplement for most insurance formulates because formulates always leave stuff out that doctors prescribe. However, nothing beats the savings you get by ordering generic equivalents from Canada for US brand name drugs with no US generics. I save about 60% of the US drug price every month on two drugs, over $250 a month.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017