• McCain

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Obama

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Tie

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
It was boring, I actually fell asleep.

They both seemed nervous, which I guess is normal for their first debate, though I would have thought with all of McCain's "experience" talking in front of national audiences he would have been more up for it.

McCain came off as a know-it-all unwilling to actually make a coherent statement and Obama looked pained at McCain's dithering answers.

I think it was a Tie, in actuality, but that kind of makes it a victory for Obama, because it was McCain's strong suit to be discussing foregin policy, not to mention, Obama maintained a more presidential posture, while McCain gave into his feelings, showing a poor temperament. Yes, Obama seemed agitated, and perhaps that is something he needs to work on, but just because McCain got under his skin, doesn't mean that he won, or more importantly, would be a better a President. Also, given McCain's polling before the debate, he really needed to hit this one out of the park, and he didn't.

I mean, Obama had to deal with an opponent who showed no signs of respect, and seemed only wanted to hurt him, personally. McCain made it personal.

Last edited:
If he can't look his presidential opponent in the eyes, how is he supposed to negotiate nuclear arms deals with Russia or find ways to eliminate terrorism by working with Pakistan?

Exactly. That is the pertinent information here.

I think it was a Tie, in actuality, but that kind of makes it a victory for Obama, because it was McCain's strong suit to be discussing foregin policy, not to mention, Obama maintained a more presidential posture, while McCain gave into his feelings, showing a poor temperament. Yes, Obama seemed agitated, and perhaps that is something he needs to work on, but just because McCain got under his skin, doesn't mean that he won, or more importantly, would be a better a President. Also, given McCain's polling before the debate, he really needed to hit this one out of the park, and he didn't.

I mean, Obama had to deal with an opponent who showed no signs of respect, and seemed only wanted to hurt him, personally. McCain made it personal.
Good points. This is the debate McCain was afraid to attend, remember. One has to wonder why, it seemed pretty soft-ball to me.

It seemed to me that McCain's forte is war and winning, war and winning... . There appeared to be no concern about world opinion of the US, which I consider to be important as no one wants to align with a bully. I think Obama showed great restraint as McCain spun his web of deliberate misinterpretation. Obama's panoramic view of the Middle East far outshined McCain's narrow scope. Negotiation doesn't seem to exist in McCain's vocabulary. I give the debate edge to Obama. JMHO

I pick McCain, and yes, I'm partial.

I do believe Obama is a likable fellow, but when it comes to running a country he's inexperienced and has not really even done much as a senator yet. He's just to young, ideals are fine and good, but this is a dangerous world we live in whether people want to believe it or not.
McCain is the best of the two evils ... once again, and his experience is what we need in the White House.
It was refreshing to see such a civil debate.
Maybe I'll vote for Obama in 16 years after McCain and Palin have done both their terms as President.:tongue:

Last edited:
Yes. He tried to get out of it and then when he finally psyched himself up to attend, he couldn't bring himself to address Obama directly. He couldn't even look at him. Classic fear.

moving the goalposts, moving the goalposts, moving the goalposts, moving the goalposts :lol::lol::lol:

I gotta give it to McCain.

i just couldn't watch it live....couldn't stomach it....

watched the 24/7's afterwards, then finally caught a good deal of it on replay...., wish i hadn't.... i hate the divisive stuff....:(

I switched back and forth between the Phillies game and CNN, because CNN had the focus group graph at the bottom. I noticed the indies and even the republicans weren't showing much enthusiasm when McCain spoke.

In fact, I saw indies line moving DOWN more than up with McCain.

I switched back and forth between the Phillies game and CNN, because CNN had the focus group graph at the bottom. I noticed the indies and even the republicans weren't showing much enthusiasm when McCain spoke.

In fact, I saw indies line moving DOWN more than up with McCain.

Interesting. I just watched NBC, and they didn't have all that.

Wonder why the republicans weren't showing much enthusiasm while McCain spoke?

Forum List

Back