Who do you think won the debate?

• McCain

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Obama

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Tie

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
I switched back and forth between the Phillies game and CNN, because CNN had the focus group graph at the bottom. I noticed the indies and even the republicans weren't showing much enthusiasm when McCain spoke.

In fact, I saw indies line moving DOWN more than up with McCain.

That is why I don't like the graph. It's like the network saying "Ok, here is what you should think". Plus, I don't know anything about those people. At least with our unscientific poll, we somewhat know the lay of the land.

In this poll from 2 days ago, USMB is split right down the middle, just like the rest of the country.

At least I know where the dems stand on what they want, I didnt hear any clear explanation of what the Republicans want.

What issue(s), did Obama give you a clear explanation of and what issue(s) were you expecting McCain to clarify?

Personally, I was disappointed because I didn’t hear much new information offered up by either of these buffoons.

As far as knowing “where the Dems stand on what they want”, nothing’s changed in my mind. Does anybody really believe that Obama can or will change the spots of the “Tax and Spend” Democratic Party? I think not, but if he wins, I’d support him for trying.

I switched back and forth between the Phillies game and CNN, because CNN had the focus group graph at the bottom. I noticed the indies and even the republicans weren't showing much enthusiasm when McCain spoke.

In fact, I saw indies line moving DOWN more than up with McCain.

I noticed this too and it was really striking. It was a serious drop on the little line every time Obama finished and McCain started. In fact, I was pretty sure that the next day most would be touting an Obama victory, but I guess I was wrong. I pretty much thought he canned McCain on almost every question, even if I completely disagreed with some of the garbage he was talking about.

I noticed this too and it was really striking. It was a serious drop on the little line every time Obama finished and McCain started. In fact, I was pretty sure that the next day most would be touting an Obama victory, but I guess I was wrong. I pretty much thought he canned McCain on almost every question, even if I completely disagreed with some of the garbage he was talking about.

This is a crazy election. I agree with McCain on most of his issues besides his foreign policy, but I can't stand the guy. I don't trust him. I think he's lying, and it's really irritating when he has that little grin on his face like a 10 year old when someone else is speaking. He does it all the time. It's a real turn off, if you ask me.

I don't want just about ANY of Obama's domestic policies, but I'll admit that it wouldn't bother me that much if he won. I will NEVER vote for McCain. EVER. I'm writing in Ron Paul, that was probably always going to be my move, but if Obama wins I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I can't stand Palin either. She's too religious for me. Saying anything is "god's will" is automatically going to lose my vote, ESPECIALLY saying it in regards to a war.

I'll take 4 years of liberalism if it means the Republican Party gets their act together and figures out how to put a REAL conservative on a ticket. They DESERVE it. It's not like it's been very conservative with Bush anyway.

I'll take 4 years of liberalism if it means the Republican Party gets their act together and figures out how to put a REAL conservative on a ticket. They DESERVE it. It's not like it's been very conservative with Bush anyway.

I agree - I have figured out (duh) that power draws corrupt politicians and so all sorts of crap got into the republican party in the last fifteen years. Now that Dems are moving ahead crap will be attracted to that party. Finally "get" the whole pendulum thing. The dems will go down hard in a few years, but they deserve a shot since the repubs blew it.

I didn't answer the original question either. I think Obama won this debate.

Granted, I didn't watch much of it, but I saw the meat and potatoes. McCain says the same tired crap every single time he speaks. His monotonous tone, his lack of enthusiasm, and his general boringness kills it for me. I'm tired of hearing about his veto pen that he knows damn well he'll never have the balls to use. I'm tired of hearing about his "reform" when it's well known he's got lobbyists lined up on his dick. I'm tired of hearing about how he'll cut wasteful spending, when we all know he won't be vetoing MOST of the bills he says he will, because there needs to be earmark reform FIRST, and no one in congress is going to do it. He's talking out his ass.

I'm sure Obama is talking out his ass as well, but I'm not on his side of the aisle anyway. I'm holding my own side to account here, and we picked a HORRIBLE candidate to sit in the Oval Office.

I think the American people actually won the debate, here is why;
Each candidate was very effective at presenting his views on the issues that were presented. Each candidate has views and philosophies that are fundamentally different. The fact is that these differences were very well presented. That is the intended purpose of the debates, to present the positions of the candidates. The purpose is not to "win" the debate. The purpose is supposed to be to present the candidates views on the issues. In this regard, I think the debate was a good one. The proof of that is that the people who had already made up their minds are claiming victory for their candidate of choice. I take this to mean that both men were effective at presenting their position, and that the people that had already made up their minds both recognize that and do not understand how anyone could agree with the other candidate's views.
I beleive this is a clear demonstration of how divided this country has become.
No matter who you support, the fact is that both men presented their views in a clear and polite manner. IMHO both men are to be commended on their knowledge and statesmanship. Both men demonstrated they are qualified for the job. The debate was a success in demonstrating a clear difference of political philosophy between the two.
We the people actually won the debate because, unlike past debates, the difference between the two becomes more pronounced. It is hard to believe, but we actually won something- how about that for change.

Each candidate was very effective at presenting his views on the issues that were presented. Each candidate has views and philosophies that are fundamentally different. The fact is that these differences were very well presented. That is the intended purpose of the debates, to present the positions of the candidates. The purpose is not to "win" the debate. The purpose is supposed to be to present the candidates views on the issues. In this regard, I think the debate was a good one. The proof of that is that the people who had already made up their minds are claiming victory for their candidate of choice. I take this to mean that both men were effective at presenting their position, and that the people that had already made up their minds both recognize that and do not understand how anyone could agree with the other candidate's views.
No matter who you support, the fact is that both men presented their views in a clear and polite manner. IMHO both men are to be commended on their knowledge and statesmanship. Both men demonstrated they are qualified for the job. The debate was a success in demonstrating a clear difference of political philosophy between the two.
We the people actually won the debate because, unlike past debates, the difference between the two becomes more pronounced. It is hard to believe, but we actually won something- how about that for change.

Well that's a pretty reasonable god damned attitude! Where the hell did you come from?!?

:D

-Joe

Last edited:

That's a great post :clap2: Especially for your first one.

Never looked at him once! Like he was afraid he would forget his script ... or lines. /shrug

You mean the way Oblabla couldn't remember John McCain's name and kept calling him "Tom" and "Jim" as he sweated up a storm and nearly locked his eyes up in side his head LOL.

BTW what does "Kilt" mean in Obama's universe. As in " They are "Kilt".

This was a big win for McCain. Hussein Obama really hurt himself by looking so inexperienced. He's behind the eight-ball now and will be even further behind after Biden follows in Comrade's footsteps.

SpewsWeak admits McCain won:

Stumper : McCain Won. But Will It Matter?

Ouch.

Though their premise is correct, the debates aren't usually a game-changer.

Thanks for the link.

I think this paragragh sums it up pretty well:

"Tonight, John McCain was the more effective combatant.

There are two reasons why. The first is that he constantly--obsessively, really--spiked his responses with small but pointed jabs at Obama that unfailingly related to subjects he (McCain) wanted to talk about, whatever the original topic of discussion. This tactic had a dual effect. First, Obama couldn't help but take the bait; he must've said "that's not true," "let me correct the record" or "I just have to respond" a dozen times over the course of the evening. Second, Obama's defensiveness immediately shifted the conversation to McCain's home turf--where it remained, often for minutes at a time."

Last edited:
Let's be honest here... if 24 think Obama won and 11 think that it was a tie that's basically like saying Obama won considering that McCain should've won handily on this topic.

That's what every major pundit is saying today... if it's a virtual tie then the win goes to Obama.

Obama had to show up, look Presidential, show that he knew what he was talking about (or at least appear to know) and not make any major mistakes. He also needed to tie McCain to Bush, which he did successfully by reminding everyone that McCain voted in favor of Bush's budgets and with Bush's failed policies 90% of the time.

Let's be honest here... if 24 think Obama won and 11 think that it was a tie that's basically like saying Obama won considering that McCain should've won handily on this topic.

That's what every major pundit is saying today... if it's a virtual tie then the win goes to Obama.

Obama had to show up, look Presidential, show that he knew what he was talking about (or at least appear to know) and not make any major mistakes. He also needed to tie McCain to Bush, which he did successfully by reminding everyone that McCain voted in favor of Bush's budgets and with Bush's failed policies 90% of the time.
Yep. What are the next two debates about? One is about the economy, IIRC. This was supposed to be Johnnyboys one easy shot.

Forum List

Back