Zone1 Where the Rubber Meets the Road (Ethics)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Imagine that I have a car that I want to either sell or trade in on a replacement vehicle. Since I am "into" cars, i have checked the tread depth on this hypothetical car, and while they are worn evenly - which is a good thing - the tread depth is less than the minimum tread depth in Pennsylvania. This is a matter that would require replacement of the tires next April when the inspection must be renewed. In all other respects, as far as I know, the car is in perfect condition.

At two different dealerships recently I showed the dealer my car for trade, and they both indicated they would have to deduct an amount of money to replace the tires. The amount would be about $600, since the tires are 19" good tires.

But wait! I also presented my car to Carvana a few weeks ago, filling out their questionnaire, sending them pictures, and so on. They made me an offer for the car that was significantly more than either dealer offered, even enough to exceed the 7% sales tax on that amount. This was before I gave appropriate attention to the tires. Carvana, as is their habit, sent me an email offering to renew their offer (it was only good for five business days), and I took it.

If you don't know, selling a car to Carvana is extremely easy once the details are confirmed and the docs are signed. You take your car there and ten minutes later you walk out with a check in your hands.

I was tempted to tell The Dude at Carvana about the tires. I had represented in their questionnaire that the tires were "good."

Am i (morally) guilty of fraud? Do I need to tell this in Confession?

What should I do? I have deposited their check and in fact, have spent the money on a replacement vehicle.

Where you asked about the tire tread by CARAVAN? If you answered at the time honestly you didn't commit fraud.

I answered the questionnaire honestly, but later learned that I was mistaken. BEFORE I handed over my car.

Imagine that I have a car that I want to either sell or trade in on a replacement vehicle. Since I am "into" cars, i have checked the tread depth on this hypothetical car, and while they are worn evenly - which is a good thing - the tread depth is less than the minimum tread depth in Pennsylvania. This is a matter that would require replacement of the tires next April when the inspection must be renewed. In all other respects, as far as I know, the car is in perfect condition.

At two different dealerships recently I showed the dealer my car for trade, and they both indicated they would have to deduct an amount of money to replace the tires. The amount would be about $600, since the tires are 19" good tires.

But wait! I also presented my car to Carvana a few weeks ago, filling out their questionnaire, sending them pictures, and so on. They made me an offer for the car that was significantly more than either dealer offered, even enough to exceed the 7% sales tax on that amount. This was before I gave appropriate attention to the tires. Carvana, as is their habit, sent me an email offering to renew their offer (it was only good for five business days), and I took it.

If you don't know, selling a car to Carvana is extremely easy once the details are confirmed and the docs are signed. You take your car there and ten minutes later you walk out with a check in your hands.

I was tempted to tell The Dude at Carvana about the tires. I had represented in their questionnaire that the tires were "good."

What should I do? I have deposited their check and in fact, have spent the money on a replacement vehicle.
What does your heart say? Did you believe the tires were good, by not excellent when you sold the car? Or, did you purposely set out to deceive Carvana?

I answered the questionnaire honestly, but later learned that I was mistaken. BEFORE I handed over my car.
Anyone in the car buying business takes into account that the tires will probably need to be replaced. I don't think "good" is a fraudulent representation is describing operable tires. If anything, the question of their condition is a negotiating tactic for trying to reduce the offered price.

wasn't it their responsibility to find out about the tires?

Forum List

Back