Where Is The “Climate Emergency”?

Global sea surface temperature (SST)
1653931018731.png

1653931128598.png

1653931236053.png

Why the West Antarctic Ice Sheet is Unstable and Will Inevitably Collapse

‘Self-sustaining retreat’

In West Antarctica, most of the ice sheet rests on the seafloor, and the basin that it sits in grows deeper with distance from the coastline. This makes it particularly susceptible to a “self-sustaining retreat”.

The base of the ice sheet is below sea level, which means that the warm ocean can melt and thin the ice at the “grounding line” – the boundary between the grounded ice sheet and the floating ice shelf.

If we were to take only one measure of the well-being of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, it would probably be the position of the grounding line. The position of the grounding line indicates the balance between water stored in the ice sheet and water returned to the sea. Processes acting at the grounding line can also drive the grounded ice to change.

Melting alone can cause grounding line retreat and sea level rise. But melting can also initiate something called the “marine ice sheet instability”. “Marine” because the base of the ice sheet is below sea level, and “instability” for the fact that once it starts, the retreat is self-sustaining.

Here’s how it works. If changes on the floating side cause ice on the grounded side to lift off from the seafloor and float, the grounding line will retreat. Because the ice flows more rapidly when it is floating than it did when grounded, the rate of ice flow near the grounding line will increase. Faster flow means thinning, which may in turn cause more ice to lift off and float. Because greater thickness also causes the ice to flow faster, grounding line retreat into the deep can also produce faster flow.

You can see this explained in the figure below.

1653931558378.png

1653932143802.png

View attachment 651895

View attachment 651897

View attachment 651898

LOL, you still avoid the contents of Post one articles content.

Post one article remains unchallenged

Why the West Antarctic Ice Sheet is Unstable and Will Inevitably Collapse

‘Self-sustaining retreat’

In West Antarctica, most of the ice sheet rests on the seafloor, and the basin that it sits in grows deeper with distance from the coastline. This makes it particularly susceptible to a “self-sustaining retreat”.

The base of the ice sheet is below sea level, which means that the warm ocean can melt and thin the ice at the “grounding line” – the boundary between the grounded ice sheet and the floating ice shelf.

If we were to take only one measure of the well-being of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, it would probably be the position of the grounding line. The position of the grounding line indicates the balance between water stored in the ice sheet and water returned to the sea. Processes acting at the grounding line can also drive the grounded ice to change.

Melting alone can cause grounding line retreat and sea level rise. But melting can also initiate something called the “marine ice sheet instability”. “Marine” because the base of the ice sheet is below sea level, and “instability” for the fact that once it starts, the retreat is self-sustaining.

Here’s how it works. If changes on the floating side cause ice on the grounded side to lift off from the seafloor and float, the grounding line will retreat. Because the ice flows more rapidly when it is floating than it did when grounded, the rate of ice flow near the grounding line will increase. Faster flow means thinning, which may in turn cause more ice to lift off and float. Because greater thickness also causes the ice to flow faster, grounding line retreat into the deep can also produce faster flow.

You can see this explained in the figure below.

View attachment 651903

LOL, you still avoid the contents of Post one articles content.

View attachment 651904
View attachment 651909
View attachment 651910

LOL, you still avoid the contents of Post one article.

What you posted are not climate emergencies at all, but you are too invested in its stupid we are in doom propaganda to avoid the true measure of what is good or bad which you will NEVER address to the below that is from the article you are so TERRIFIED of.

First of all the IPCC doesn't see a climate emergency either:

"Let me begin with the fact that the IPCC itself doesn’t think that there is a “climate crisis” or a “climate emergency”. In the IPCC AR6 WG1, the single mention of a “climate emergency” is a far-too-gentle chiding of the media for using the term, viz:

Some media outlets have recently adopted and promoted terms and phrases stronger than the more neutral ‘climate change’ and ‘global warming’, including ‘climate crisis’, ‘global heating’, and ‘climate emergency’.

1) The arctic ice shelf in two main areas have active VOLCANOES under them which myself FlaCalTenn and others have posted actual published papers telling us that the Volcanoes are major cause of the melting and since most of it is already on the water there will be little effect on sea level change.

2) The typical misleading extinction claims since most of them were cause by humans encroaching on habitat to over hunting and other effects not the nebulous climate change claim.

"There’s no sign of the fabled “Sixth Wave Of Extinctions”.

red-list-extinct-species-720x540.jpg

3) No one here disputes that it has been warming since the 1850's 1979 and even from the 1690's. which isn't a climate emergency at all.

Really you are so determined to make a fool of yourself in public with non existent evidence of climate emergencies.

Grow up fella stop LYING about it as YOU do everyday.

LOL, you still avoid the contents of Post one article.

After 31 pages and 600 posts if the best you've got is that I'm not directly addressing Post #1 (and THAT is disputable) then you're looking a little worn thin. As to that dispute, everything I posted indicates a very real threat to human life as a consequence of anthropogenic global warming.

And, if it's really what you want - and how could I resist refuting Willis Eschenbach - here:

1653943452879.png

Deaths are at an all time low:

1653943319648.png

Pacific Typhoons are in a 70 year decline:

1653943381291.png

===

Here are all the records of landfalling hurricanes worldwide. This shows Global, North Atlantic (NATL), Western Pacific (WPAC), Eastern Pacific (EPAC), Northern Indian Ocean (NIO), and Southern Hemisphere (SH) landfalls for both major and all hurricanes.

1653943458947.png

The source study says (emphasis mine):

The collective global frequency of all global hurricane landfalls and the minor and major subsets shows considerable interannual variability but no significant linear trend (Fig. 2). Furthermore, when considering each basin individually during the entire time periods analyzed, it is not possible to ascertain a positive or negative trend in minor, major, or overall hurricane landfall frequency in all basins except the SH. In the SH a significant positive trend in major hurricane landfalls was detected; yet, the sample size is still small (Table 2). This result is not unexpected considering the known multidecadal signals in TC activity, which cannot be adequately resolved by our comparatively short historical record.

===

"Droughts in the US have been decreasing, not increasing.

1653943550510.png

There are a lot of claims that the current drought in the US west is a result of “global warming” … but that point of view is shortsighted with regard to the history of the west.

200-year-drought-720x413.png

And here is the latest study from Nature Magazine showing, guess what? Globally, droughts are decreasing, not increasing.

1653943618422.png

===

There has been no global increase in the number of wildfires … here’s the NASA satellite data.

1653943687022.png

There is a lot more like these.

:muahaha:

After 31 pages and 600 posts if the best you've got is that I'm not directly addressing Post #1 (and THAT is disputable) then you're looking a little worn thin. As to that dispute, everything I posted indicates a very real threat to human life as a consequence of anthropogenic global warming.

And, if it's really what you want - and how could I resist refuting Willis Eschenbach - here:

View attachment 652003

You still avoid discussing it and still avoid post one article because you can't address it.

You didn't refute anything since you don't address it.

:laughing0301:

What you posted are not climate emergencies at all, but you are too invested in its stupid we are in doom propaganda to avoid the true measure of what is good or bad which you will NEVER address to the below that is from the article you are so TERRIFIED of.

First of all the IPCC doesn't see a climate emergency either:

"Let me begin with the fact that the IPCC itself doesn’t think that there is a “climate crisis” or a “climate emergency”. In the IPCC AR6 WG1, the single mention of a “climate emergency” is a far-too-gentle chiding of the media for using the term, viz:

1) The arctic ice shelf in two main areas have active VOLCANOES under them which myself FlaCalTenn and others have posted actual published papers telling us that the Volcanoes are major cause of the melting and since most of it is already on the water there will be little effect on sea level change.

2) The typical misleading extinction claims since most of them were cause by humans encroaching on habitat to over hunting and other effects not the nebulous climate change claim.

"There’s no sign of the fabled “Sixth Wave Of Extinctions”.

red-list-extinct-species-720x540.jpg

3) No one here disputes that it has been warming since the 1850's 1979 and even from the 1690's. which isn't a climate emergency at all.

Really you are so determined to make a fool of yourself in public with non existent evidence of climate emergencies.

Grow up fella stop LYING about it as YOU do everyday.

Extinction Rates​

Recent studies estimate about eight million species on Earth, of which at least 15,000 are threatened with extinction. It’s hard to pinpoint the exact extinction rate because many endangered species have not been identified or studied yet. A number of scientists grapple with improving methods for estimating extinction rates.
Regardless, scientists agree that today’s extinction rate is hundreds, or even thousands, of times higher than the natural baseline rate. Judging from the fossil record, the baseline extinction rate is about one species per every one million species per year. Scientists are racing to catalogue the biodiversity on Earth, working against the clock as extinctions continue to occur.

Extinction Rates​

Recent studies estimate about eight million species on Earth, of which at least 15,000 are threatened with extinction. It’s hard to pinpoint the exact extinction rate because many endangered species have not been identified or studied yet. A number of scientists grapple with improving methods for estimating extinction rates.
Regardless, scientists agree that today’s extinction rate is hundreds, or even thousands, of times higher than the natural baseline rate. Judging from the fossil record, the baseline extinction rate is about one species per every one million species per year. Scientists are racing to catalogue the biodiversity on Earth, working against the clock as extinctions continue to occur.

You are truly a desperate to lie constantly since I pointed out that your claim that climate emergency causes the extinctions is a LIE from your own link, most of it are caused by other ways.

"The passenger pigeon is one of many hundreds of extinctions that have been caused by human activities in the past few centuries, such as:
Only one mentions climate change,

more from your link:

"Extinction Rates​

Are We Part of a Sixth Mass Extinction?​

At the end of the last ice age, 10,000 years ago, many North American animals went extinct, including mammoths, mastodons, and glyptodonts. While climate changes were a factor, paleontologists have evidence that overhunting by humans was also to blame. Early humans worked cooperatively to trap and slaughter large animals in pits. About the same time, humans began farming, settling down and making drastic changes in the habitats of other species.

Starting in the 1800s, industrialization drove up extinction rates and has continued to do so. For example, Chinese river dolphins, foothill yellow-legged frogs, and sockeye salmon are among the many species currently endangered by water pollution, dams, and other industrial pressures on rivers. Smithsonian Anthropologist Dr. Torben Rick leads an effort to understand how human activities affect biodiversity by studying interactions between humans and other species in the Channel Islands from ancient to modern times."

bolding mine

end it here with the last section of YOUR link:

"Preventing Extinction​

The science of conservation biology focuses on managing ecosystems to prevent species from going extinct. Because we can’t protect everything, conservation efforts target particular species or habitats. Smithsonian scientist Dr. Brian Gratwicke is the “amphibian avenger” for his work to save populations of frogs from extinction. The Smithsonian is part of an alliance of institutions (Global Tiger Initiative) working to save wild tigers from extinction.

The value of a species may be judged by various criteria, depending on who is making decisions about what to conserve. For example, cultural value is important in efforts to conserve populations of Pacific salmon. A Smithsonian exhibit in the Sant Ocean Hall shows how salmon for centuries have shaped a way of life for Native Americans living in the Pacific Northwest."

===

Not a fucking word about climate change in Preventing extinctions.

Climate Change has little to do with the extinctions which is dominantly made clear by your own link.

:muahaha:

Last edited:
There is no need for me to prove anything, since we have all seen the increases in temperature, the missing glaciers, etc.
Remember that the Arctic Ocean was never navigable even in summer, until 2009.
{...
Until 2009, the Arctic pack ice prevented regular marine shipping throughout most of the year. Arctic sea ice decline has rendered the waterways more navigable for ice navigation.[6][7][8][9]
...}
Now the Northwest Passage is always open.
is florida under water yet? is all the polar ice gone? your prophet algore said those things would happen by now, was he lying or just stupid?

You'll have to show me where I stated that increased extinctions were being caused by global warming because I'm quite certain I never said any such thing. The theme in this thread is whether or not we are facing a climate emergency. It's not my fault if you've chosen to use a definition of that term so narrow that it fails by default. That would be YOUR lie.

View attachment 651895

View attachment 651897

View attachment 651898
where were those sea level measurements taken? I live near the ocean and the coast is exactly where it was 100 years ago.

is florida under water yet? is all the polar ice gone? your prophet algore said those things would happen by now, was he lying or just stupid?
Here is a link to the agency Dade County was forced to create to cope with sea level rise flooding

Here is PIOMAS's latest Arctic sea ice volume graphic. Note that the bottom of this graphic is zero ice in the Arctic.

1653946733957.png

Al Gore provided a very useful service to us all. However, he is not a climate scientist. If you actually disagree with the conclusions of the world's climate scientists, it would be a good idea for you to challenge what THEY say, not Al Gore. I have to warn you, however, that that will be a little more difficult. If you don't know what they say - which looks likely - visit www.ipcc.ch. Look for "The Physical Science Basis" or "Summary for Policymakers", depending on your technical level.

where were those sea level measurements taken? I live near the ocean and the coast is exactly where it was 100 years ago.
They were taken all over the planet. I also live near the ocean. People here are experiencing increased tidal flooding.

View attachment 651895

View attachment 651897

View attachment 651898
It's called an interglacial cycle.

Forum List

Back