Where does your self-worth come from?

What do you believe makes you valuable?

• Your intelligence / intellect

• Your physical beauty / good looks

• Your skills, talents and abilities

• Your personal success and achievements

• Your character (honesty, kindness, etc)

• The love, attention and adulation from others

• The knowledge that you were created by God, loved by God, and valued by God

• Other (explain)

• Nothing, humans have no inherent value

Results are only viewable after voting.
Even if that honor is arbitrary?

So would you think a person who kills his daughter because he believed her choices violated his sense of honor that honor was the single most important thing in this man's life has a very high value?

Yup.

This thread is about "self worth"...not how others see you.

My worth includes doing something or things that I am sure I am here for, and doing what I believe what God wants. I speak to things that are not popular to hear even if some are alienated, but these things need to be heard.

I love that, that's how I see it too. Exactly.

It's the potential. Everyone has it. Not everyone lives up to it be we all have it.
Human potential is indisputable, but the thread is specifically about "self-worth" which is how each of us perceives our own worth. That runs the full spectrum of "I am priceless" to "I am a piece of crap".

So you don't believe you exist?
Of course I do

I don't think I am separated from the rest of the universe. I don't think I am some little isolated ego (self) wrapped in a skin suit that is existing in this universe because of the acts of an outside force.

It's like asking does a wave exist in the ocean. The answer is of course it does but is the wave separate from the ocean? No because the wave would not exist if it was separate from the ocean.

The idea of the self is illusion because you did not define yourself. You have been told literally since the day you were born who you were by your parents, siblings , extended family, and then your peers, the education system and then the society itself.

So how do you determine your self "worth" based on an idea that really isn;t yours?

To me self worth is someone telling themselves they deserve to be here that they are worthy of existence.

It may even be conceit.

But if you think like Taoists do then you see you , we, everyone are just products of nature and the universe and therefore we all belong and by the very fact of our existence we are worthy.

Since you brought that up.... I actually have unlearned most of what I was taught all my life. In fact, the older and wiser I get, the more I'm realizing that just about everything we're taught in this world is a lie.

But unlike some of the philosophies you seem to be into, I believe in truth, and the things I've been learning (after unlearning so many lies) have been beneficial and have added so much value to my life, and have changed me for the better. But now we're getting really off topic. :) And I actually gotta get going now, so I'll try to get back to this thread later.

Truth is slippery. And where did you get the idea I don't believe in truth?

Yup.

But that is a huge part of self worth.

You have been told who you are since the day you were born so if your own perception of self is not solely yours then neither is your idea of self worth

It seems to me that everything that happens in our life has an effect on self-esteem.
It can only if you let it.....
Even if that honor is arbitrary?
singular , but not easily insulated....
I actually have unlearned most of what I was taught all my life. In fact, the older and wiser I get, the more I'm realizing that just about everything we're taught in this world is a lie.
yes, it's a painful truth
'self' and 'others' are the crux Thunk
The idea of the self is illusion because you did not define yourself. You have been told literally since the day you were born who you were by your parents, siblings , extended family, and then your peers, the education system and then the society itself.
spot on
Truth is slippery
yes

Anecdotally , i learned as a crippled child how one's honor is internal.

It's the only thing in this existence they can't take from you

The world may put you down, you friends may spit on you , you're family disown you, the media piss on you.....

Yet they can only take your honor away if you let them

~S~

Do you believe you are valuable? If so, what do you believe makes you valuable? I’m not asking what society believes makes you valuable, but what do you personally believe makes you valuable?

I’m going to post a poll, because why not?

(Btw, to the mods, if I posted this in the wrong section, feel free to move it, I wasn't sure if this was the right section)

There is one unbelievably stupid bullshitter who posts here who has made it entirely clear that he measures the value of ALL human life based on nothing but money.

Of course I do

I don't think I am separated from the rest of the universe. I don't think I am some little isolated ego (self) wrapped in a skin suit that is existing in this universe because of the acts of an outside force.

It's like asking does a wave exist in the ocean. The answer is of course it does but is the wave separate from the ocean? No because the wave would not exist if it was separate from the ocean.

So how do you determine your self "worth" based on an idea that really isn;t yours?

To me self worth is someone telling themselves they deserve to be here that they are worthy of existence.

It may even be conceit.

But if you think like Taoists do then you see you , we, everyone are just products of nature and the universe and therefore we all belong and by the very fact of our existence we are worthy.

I never claimed that I "exist separate from the rest of the universe."

I don't even know what you mean by that. How is that even possible? haha.

As for your statement "an idea that really isn't yours"... that doesn't make sense either. Is this getting back to your belief that we have no free will? I don't want to misstate your position, so please clarify and explain. Thanks.

I have no idea where it comes from, it just is. It doesn't depend on anything or anyone, it's just there.
Has your self-worth always been the same, your entire life? For example, many teenagers go through a period of time where they feel they're worthless... some even resort to things like "cutting" or they develop eating disorders, and in the worst case scenario, they might try killing themselves. But often later in life, they develop a health sense of self-worth. So obviously there was something that changed their self-worth as they matured. Are you saying you've always had the same sense of self-worth, and you don't know what it's based on?

Has your self-worth always been the same, your entire life? For example, many teenagers go through a period of time where they feel they're worthless... some even resort to things like "cutting" or they develop eating disorders, and in the worst case scenario, they might try killing themselves. But often later in life, they develop a health sense of self-worth. So obviously there was something that changed their self-worth as they matured. Are you saying you've always had the same sense of self-worth, and you don't know what it's based on?
We saw with the Pandemic (or Plandemic if you prefer) and the lockdowns how suicidal thoughts spiked, particularly amongst the youth. Add to that many advocate that humans are a "plague on this planet" and it would be better if human presence diminished drastically, so it's no wonder youth have low self-worth, far worse than when we were teenagers. Plus the peer pressures that are on social media that we didn't have to experience in our teenage years. Fear, no hope, bullying. It's no wonder perceived self-worth is low these days.

As a Christian, I'm sure you would agree that we were designed to be in a loving relationship with our Creator, and when people try to fill that 'God-shaped void' inside us with ANYTHING other than God (including even a romantic partner or other people) it's like putting the wrong type of fuel into a car. It just doesn't work. It goes against how we were designed, and it goes against the reality... our value doesn't come from those temporary things that can be lost, it comes from being created and loved by God.
Bears repeating.

I was thinking about temporary things the other day, almost to a point to if I were to craft a sermon on this, topic of the temporary, so I'm glad you responded with this.

I never claimed that I "exist separate from the rest of the universe."

I don't even know what you mean by that. How is that even possible? haha.

As for your statement "an idea that really isn't yours"... that doesn't make sense either. Is this getting back to your belief that we have no free will? I don't want to misstate your position, so please clarify and explain. Thanks.

The crux of the experiments is that people make unconscious choices well before they are aware that the choice was made and your conscious mind makes you believe you made that choice but that happens after you already made it.

And when I say your idea of who you are isn;t really yours I mean exactly that.

You did not choose to be born, you did not choose your parents or your siblings and immediate family but from the day you were born these people were telling you who you were and what they expected of you long before you could even speak.

This conditioning along with your genetics were not chosen by you and you cannot delete it and all these influences from just your immediate family contribute and may even define aspects of yourself that you did not choose to possess.

If all these factors contribute to any decision you make then at least part of that decision was not your idea.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back