What's the Best War Movie?

Gallipoli
You beat me to it!

Someone needs to re-tell the story of Gallipoli. It's tragic, and heroic, under the worst conditions. And it made Ataturk a household name in Türkiye.

Ever notice how there's never been a movie about Ataturk, who deserves one more than most? The Greeks. The Armenians. They block every attempt by someone in Hollywood. In the late 1990s Antonio Banderas was set to play him, but the Hellenic Society pressured the studio into dropping it. Banderas and wife Melanie Griffith were subjected to hate mail and death threats and quickly backed out out of fear. The movie was being produced by Sir Lawrence Olivier's son.

As I said, it was not about the War in Vietnam, it was an adaptation of a novel set in Vietnam. It was not intended to be historically accurate.
I know that, it's not my point. Talk to people who were never there and never knew anyone that was and their take is that the movie reflected what happened in Nam on a daily basis, especially those who were involved with the anti-Vietnam war movement, they believed it to be a true representation.
It's not Sci-Fi but it is fiction.
I was involved in the anti war movement and I did not think that. Try speaking for yourself and not for others.
Then why do so many perceive it to be a real depiction of the war? I wasn't speaking for you specifically, you are one of the few who actually know the origin of the movie. So I'll toss it back in your court, Try speaking for yourself and not for others.............
Many people do not realize that no movie is true. Some are based on true stories.
I can assure you that We Were Soldiers is true because I lived every moment of the story. There were a few Hollywoodisms because otherwise it would have been a dull movie about day to day events.
Thank you for proving my point. And thank you for your service.

Ok I crawled thru the whole thread and everybody has covered my favorite "best of the best". Top of my list has always been the Dirty Dozen.

Kudos to Sunni Man for putting up Zulu. It's beyond awesome. :)

Only one I can add this morning would be Night of the Generals. Although there are no battle scenes, I still hope it qualifies as a war movie.

The plot revolves around murder and the plot to assassinate Hitler by his Generals.

Fabulous cast includes Omar Sharif, Peter O'Toole, Donald Pleasance and Tom Courtenay.

220px-Night_Generals.jpg

A bit off my thread, but I just watched three awesome TV shows about WWII yesterday:

Rat Patrol
12o'clock High
Blacksheep Squadron

All based on true stories

A bit off my thread, but I just watched three awesome TV shows about WWII yesterday:

Rat Patrol
12o'clock High
Blacksheep Squadron

All based on true stories
I got the complete series set of dvds for Rat Patrol for christmas. Looking forward to watching it.

I gotta go with:

I like The Pianist a lot, which was a pretty brutal war movie.

I didn't add Inglorious Bastards because I didn't think it really qualified as a war movie. It was more a movie about the holocaust with no real war scenes at all.

I gotta go with:

I didn't add Inglorious Bastards because I didn't think it really qualified as a war movie. It was more a movie about the holocaust with no real war scenes at all.
It was a great movie, magical realism being my favourite genre, whether novels or movies.

IB just rocks, I watch it several times a year!!!

I gotta go with:

It was a great movie, magical realism being my favourite genre, whether novels or movies.

IB just rocks, I watch it several times a year!!!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I loved that movie. It was awesome! I just was kind of hesitant to refer to it as a "war" movie, because it's really more like a comedy and a character study, IMO. It really wasn't as much about the war, as it was about people corroborating in little schemes and things. I absolutely loved Brad Pitt in the movie. He was so funny. Arrivederci! :lol:

We Were Soldiers

Because I participated in that battle. I was with those guys from April 1964-Sept 1965 and knew most of them. Many are dead because of various cancers from Agent Orange so there's not many of us around. I got it in the prostate. On Nov 14 at 0620 hours we will celebrate our 50th anniversary at the Wall in Arlington. All of you here are invited to attend.
I just noticed a mistake in dates. Should be April '64-Sept '66.

Battle of Britain has by far the best aerial fighting on film and there is a ton of it. Very well done movie all around.

Forum List

Back