What’s Islam Got to Do With It?

I didn't realize they had military courts in NY. I thought this was being tried in a civilian court. What did I miss?

You didn't miss anything.

The Obama administration said Friday that it will prosecute Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the self-described mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks, in a Manhattan federal courtroom, a decision that could mean one of the highest-profile terrorism trials in history would be set just blocks from where al Qaeda hijackers destroyed the World Trade Center.

Attorney General Eric Holder said he would instruct prosecutors to seek death sentences for Mohammed and four others accused as Sept. 11 co-conspirators who would be tried alongside him.

But while the civilian system would handle those cases, he said five other detainees would be prosecuted before a military commission. Those facing a military trial include Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, who is accused of planning al Qaeda's 2000 bombing of the Navy destroyer Cole in Yemen.

"Today's announcement marks a significant step forward in our efforts to close Guantanamo and to bring to justice those individuals who have conspired to attack our nation and our interests abroad," Holder said.

Anger over decision
The administration's decision to bring five Sept. 11 detainees onto U.S. soil from Guantanamo for prosecution in the civilian legal system drew immediate fire from some members of Congress as well as relatives of the nearly 2,900 victims who perished in the attacks.

They argued that al Qaeda suspects do not deserve the protections afforded by the American criminal justice system, that bringing them into the United States would heighten the risk of another terrorist attack, that civilian trials increase the risk of disclosing classified information, and that if the detainees were acquitted they could be released into the population.

Five 9/11 suspects to face trial in U.S.

Would he have done it if he were not a Muslim? Probably not. Therefore, it has it's part in the tragedy. Having said that, was it the only factor? No.

So, Islam is not to blame but this dude's perverted view of Islam was a significant factor. Apart from that - he was a recent convert to cowardice.
Have to disagree here as the facts unfolded he is a Islamic fundamentalist .
Those who embrace Islam and become believers are killers according to the Quran.

The Noble Quran : Surat 9

111. Verily, Allâh has purchased of the believers their lives and their properties; for the price that theirs shall be the Paradise. They fight in Allâh's Cause, so they kill (others) and are killed. It is a promise in truth which is binding on Him in the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel) and the Qur'ân. And who is truer to his covenant than Allâh? Then rejoice in the bargain which you have concluded. That is the supreme success[].

112. (The believers whose lives Allâh has purchased are) those who repent to Allâh (from polytheism and hypocrisy, etc.), who worship Him, who praise Him, who fast (or go out in Allâh's Cause), who bow down (in prayer), who prostrate themselves (in prayer), who enjoin (people) for Al-Ma'rûf (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all what Islâm has ordained) and forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism of all kinds and all that Islâm has forbidden), and who observe the limits set by Allâh (do all that Allâh has ordained and abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which Allâh has forbidden). And give glad tidings to the believers

Would he have done it if he were not a Muslim? Probably not. Therefore, it has it's part in the tragedy. Having said that, was it the only factor? No.

So, Islam is not to blame but this dude's perverted view of Islam was a significant factor. Apart from that - he was a recent convert to cowardice.
Those who embrace Islam and become believers are killers according to the Quran.

111. Verily, Allâh has purchased of the believers their lives and their properties; for the price that theirs shall be the Paradise. They fight in Allâh's Cause, so they kill (others) and are killed. It is a promise in truth which is binding on Him in the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel) and the Qur'ân. And who is truer to his covenant than Allâh? Then rejoice in the bargain which you have concluded. That is the supreme success[].

112. (The believers whose lives Allâh has purchased are) those who repent to Allâh (from polytheism and hypocrisy, etc.), who worship Him, who praise Him, who fast (or go out in Allâh's Cause), who bow down (in prayer), who prostrate themselves (in prayer), who enjoin (people) for Al-Ma'rûf (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all what Islâm has ordained) and forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism of all kinds and all that Islâm has forbidden), and who observe the limits set by Allâh (do all that Allâh has ordained and abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which Allâh has forbidden). And give glad tidings to the believers
As usual Mr Fitnuts is taking verses out of context.

Once again, these verses were targeted to a specific group of people, during a specific time, after a specific war.

These verses were about Muhammad chastising a group of muslims that he refered to as the "Hypocrites".

Muhammad had called on the muslims to form an army to go fight the Byzantine army at Tabuk. Many muslims had made excuses and stayed home. When he returned home with the army, he admonished them with these verses.

These verses were only directed to this group of people and no one else. Period.

Mr Fitnuts knows he is taking verses out of histirical context and trying to apply them to today. He is being very misleading and deceitful in using this tactic.

Medicalizing mass murder not only exonerates. It turns the murderer into a victim, indeed a sympathetic one.

But the law will exercise its judgement as to whether or not murder was committed. And it should be able to do so without comments like these in the media. It's times like these that the true nature of any criminal justice system is tested. Given that the defendant has now been charged I would have thought that the matter would be sub judice and speculative comment like this would be prohibited as it could prejudice a fair trial.

Do you need the law to tell you that murder was committed?

Once again, these verses were targeted to a specific group of people, during a specific time, after a specific war.

These verses were about Muhammad chastising a group of muslims that he refered to as the "Hypocrites".

Muhammad had called on the muslims to form an army to go fight the Byzantine army at Tabuk. Many muslims had made excuses and stayed home. When he returned home with the army, he admonished them with these verses.

These verses were only directed to this group of people and no one else. Period.

Mr Fitnuts knows he is taking verses out of histirical context and trying to apply them to today. He is being very misleading and deceitful in using this tactic.
I'm sorry the present tense suggest otherwise.

I'm sorry the present tense suggest otherwise.

The translation to english only makes it sound as though it is in present tense. :cool:

Forum List

Back