U.S. Army to Introduce XM7 Rifle, Marking the End of the Iconic M16 Series

Doc7505

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2016

U.S. Army to Introduce XM7 Rifle,

Marking the End of the Iconic M16 Series

7 Apr 2024 ~~

After over five decades of faithful service, the M16 series, an icon of American military might and a direct descendant of the AR-15 designed by Eugene Stoner will be succeeded by Sig Sauer's advanced XM7 rifle. The M16, first introduced in 1964, has been the most-produced 5.56x45mm weapon, marking a significant chapter in the annals of U.S. military history. The latest variant, the M16A4, known for its three-round burst feature, will soon yield to the cutting-edge design of the XM7, a testament to the relentless pursuit of small arms excellence.

Commentary:
XM7

TypeAssault rifle
Place of originUnited States
In service2022–present
Used byUnited States Army
Designed2019
ManufacturerSIG Sauer
Weight8.38 lb (3.8 kg), 9.84 lb (4.46 kg) (with suppressor)
Length36 in (914.4 mm) (with suppressor)
Barrel length13 in (330.2 mm)
Cartridge6.8×51mm
ActionShort-stroke gas-operated piston, rotating bolt
Muzzle velocity915 m/s (3,001.97 ft/s)
Feed system20-round detachable SR-25 pattern box magazine, 25-round detachable SR-25 pattern box magazine (optional)

The M4, M249 weapons fire a lighter 5.56mm round which years of Army studies found to be inadequate against proliferating Russian and Chinese body armor.
The XM7’s suppressor is quite effective in reducing the noise of firing the gun, a feature that, along with its increased range, not only increases shooter concealment potential but helps members of a squad communicate verbally in the midst of combat.
Despite that advantage, losing the weight may be more important to soldiers physically stressed by long days of combat engagement and maneuver.
The 6.8x51mm cartridge is similar to the .270/308 Winchester, firing a 135gr. FMJ Ball ammo at 2,750 ft/sec.

It looks a lot like the M-16
XM7 Rifle.png

It's still a 8-9# weapon not counting all the optics that will be stuck atop it.

At least it does not shit where it eats and uses a much more effective cartridge.
Larger caliber (.27 caliber), larger bullet weight (85 - 130 grains) and an impressive 2500-3000 FPS velocity. Be interesting to see the performance of this round.

It's still a 8-9# weapon not counting all the optics that will be stuck atop it.

At least it does not shit where it eats and uses a much more effective cartridge.
Its the cartridge. Personal armor is getting better.

Needs an underslung personal drone launcher (with antipersonelle charge) tied to the optic.

Next up...phased plasma rifles. 🤔

The M-14 used a piston operated by gas. The M-16 used direct impingement of gas on the bolt carrier group to operate. The gas makes the interior workings absolutely filthy.
So just so I understand, the XM7 is returning to the M14 style of gas-operated piston and abandoning the impingement system. Is that correct?

~~~~~~
Personally, I like the use of the 6.8x51mm cartridge. It shoots flatter and more effective range.
However. will Joey XiBaiDung's DEI army handle the heavier and more powerful M-7?
Seriously gender neutral and trans-genders in the military may balk at the weight and power of the new weapon for their dainty physiques....
:abgg2q.jpg:

Last edited:
Necked down .308, a little less punch than a .270 but a great round, I think. Lot better penetration than a 5.56.

The gun is pricey as hell (for me anyway) at a little more than $4K and only available in 7.62x51 for civilians last time I checked.

Maybe the price will come down in a few years or other makers will copy...

Necked down .308, a little less punch than a .270 but a great round, I think. Lot better penetration than a 5.56.

The gun is pricey as hell (for me anyway) at a little more than $4K and only available in 7.62x51 for civilians last time I checked.

Maybe the price will come down in a few years or other makers will copy...
Clones in 556 no doubt, and 22LR for sure

Forum List

Back