Whatever Happened to Electric Cars?

Right now, many have all kinds of "Reasons" not to own a second car that is electric.

No, the Electric would be hard pressed to drive cross country. This is why you have a second car that is used for that.

Yes, the pure electric car costs more due to the expensive batteries. But Telsa and Sony are teaming up on a factory to manufacture those batteries at a much lower cost rate than today. Most batteries are imported from China or India and both keep the prices artificially inflated.

Yes, Lithium Batteries are a bit dirty to make. This is why Tesla is seriously looking at some western states that have millions of unused desolate desert areas that can be used. Arizona, Utah and NM are receptive. This truly creates jobs. And it enables us to have lower priced lithium products.

The fact remains that the Big 3 are still pushing gas over electric or diesel hard. The General public is stupid.
When prices come down, ranges increase, and charging is as easy and fast as filling up a tank, then I will certainly consider buying an electric. I love the quietness of the car and lack of pollution, but I'm not going to pay five or ten thousand dollars more for a car that I have to drive 5 miles to a charging station and wait 4 hours for a charge. Till then, I'll stick with my hybrid.

The range for the Teslas is about 250 miles. A Charging station takes about 30 minutes. Thank you for showing me that "Excu........." er Reasons abound The reason the electrics from the main auto makers is so low (about 40 to 50 miles of real driving) is that they are cutting costs of batteries. Tesla doesn't cut corners. By cutting the cost of their batteries they can drop the price and sell their superior batteries at a reduced cost to other manufacturers. And break the stranglehold that China has.

But reasons are quickly becoming excuses.

The claimed range for the S is 285 miles. Actual achieved range by Motor Trend was 225 miles. That was with easy driving. Speed it up and you lose half the range in hurry. Drive it really fast and you have a range of 90 to 100 miles. The rapid charge from the charging station does not give you a full charge either. The Rapid charge is a half charge, the full charge still takes hours.

Rapid charging at a Tesla EV Supercharge station
Drive it really hard, and you will probably spend some time as the guest of whatever county you are in, in whatever state you are in.

Then why have the ability to do so? I speed everywhere. Even when I'm driving the Outback I speed. It drives well, is fun and we have good roads to do it. I do have a Valentine radar and laser detector though. Every quick driver I know does!

Right now, many have all kinds of "Reasons" not to own a second car that is electric.

No, the Electric would be hard pressed to drive cross country. This is why you have a second car that is used for that.

Yes, the pure electric car costs more due to the expensive batteries. But Telsa and Sony are teaming up on a factory to manufacture those batteries at a much lower cost rate than today. Most batteries are imported from China or India and both keep the prices artificially inflated.

Yes, Lithium Batteries are a bit dirty to make. This is why Tesla is seriously looking at some western states that have millions of unused desolate desert areas that can be used. Arizona, Utah and NM are receptive. This truly creates jobs. And it enables us to have lower priced lithium products.

The fact remains that the Big 3 are still pushing gas over electric or diesel hard. The General public is stupid.
When prices come down, ranges increase, and charging is as easy and fast as filling up a tank, then I will certainly consider buying an electric. I love the quietness of the car and lack of pollution, but I'm not going to pay five or ten thousand dollars more for a car that I have to drive 5 miles to a charging station and wait 4 hours for a charge. Till then, I'll stick with my hybrid.

with the advancement of using ammonia to hold hydrogen

for hydrogen use on demand

the amount of hydrogen will be so available

that the consumer will be able to have the option

having either a electric or combustion engine/motor

The range for the Teslas is about 250 miles. A Charging station takes about 30 minutes. Thank you for showing me that "Excu........." er Reasons abound The reason the electrics from the main auto makers is so low (about 40 to 50 miles of real driving) is that they are cutting costs of batteries. Tesla doesn't cut corners. By cutting the cost of their batteries they can drop the price and sell their superior batteries at a reduced cost to other manufacturers. And break the stranglehold that China has.

The claimed range for the S is 285 miles. Actual achieved range by Motor Trend was 225 miles. That was with easy driving. Speed it up and you lose half the range in hurry. Drive it really fast and you have a range of 90 to 100 miles. The rapid charge from the charging station does not give you a full charge either. The Rapid charge is a half charge, the full charge still takes hours.

So you have to cruise at 65 mph. And you can only go 225 real miles. And the 220 charging station (you can have one of those in the trunk) gets you to 80 % in a half hour and an hour for full charge (go eat lunch). And the 110 volt takes 4 hours for a full charge. It's called planning. Imagine the planning our Grand Parents had to do when the only thing available for long distance was a horse. In my lifetime, dirt roads were the norm and only major US Highways were paved. The Interstate was still a dream. BTW, I am not just talking here. My major vehicle for short distances is an Electric equal to about 800 mpg. This is a NO EXCUSE area.

I took a couple of classes with Peter Lehman at Humboldt State University in the early '90s. He was one of the pioneers of the hydrogen fuel cell. He had a lab up in Trinidad, CA where solar power was used to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen. Interesting stuff. The only problem with hydrogen is its volatility.

On a different note, regarding EV, I think the Tesla is well positioned to become a status car. Everyone is familiar with boorish behavior at the gas station. People talk on their phone while you're waiting to pull up to the pump, or worse.

The EV executive has his own fueling station at his house. He need not mingle with the groundlings.

Today, Tesla stock was up another 2.5%. It's been up over 7% since I recommended it less than a week ago.

So you have to cruise at 65 mph. And you can only go 225 real miles. And the 220 charging station (you can have one of those in the trunk) gets you to 80 % in a half hour and an hour for full charge (go eat lunch). And the 110 volt takes 4 hours for a full charge. It's called planning. Imagine the planning our Grand Parents had to do when the only thing available for long distance was a horse. In my lifetime, dirt roads were the norm and only major US Highways were paved. The Interstate was still a dream. BTW, I am not just talking here. My major vehicle for short distances is an Electric equal to about 800 mpg. This is a NO EXCUSE area.

I drive 400 miles. Refuel. Eat lunch. Drive another four hundred miles. All in the time it takes you to go 450 miles. Planning? Yes I plan to be on the road for as little time as possible so I can spend the maximum amount of time at MY DESTINATION!

I drive 400 miles. Refuel. Eat lunch. Drive another four hundred miles. All in the time it takes you to go 450 miles. Planning? Yes I plan to be on the road for as little time as possible so I can spend the maximum amount of time at MY DESTINATION!

I see you drive 400 miles every day, right? Ever think about moving a bit closer to that job? Now, if you are in sales, that might be a problem. As I stated, you have two cars. One is your home car (electric) and the other is a fuel efficient Gas or Diesel car for long hauls. I have two normal vehicles, one electric and the other gas. But if it were important to run very long distances, I would fire up the 30 foot RV with the 80 gallon tank which goes almost 600 miles on a fillup. But for a trip to the Grocery Store, fire up the electric at an equivalent of about 800 mpg.

The Gas prices won't stay where they are. Give it another 18 months and it's going back to about 3.50 a gallon like it was.
At that point, our oil fields go back to work hard and we become the #1 Oil Producer in the World. And at that point, the electric starts making sense fast.

Now, about the Hydrogen. One of the problems they are having right now is getting the seals to not allow the helium from trickling away. It ends up in the wheel wells, trunk and anywhere else it can find. Hydrogen is a very small molecule and is hard to contain. and very explosive. I don't see it as an alternative to Gas Cars right now.

the real breakthrough for any electric vehicle to get any range

is to be able to produce electricity not simply store it for usage

i mean that is not really the breakthrough since trains have been doing it for a long time

the breakthrough comes when it can be done without the aid of fossil fuels

Most trains that don't do on-board generation use overhead trolley wires or third rails. Not the utmost in convenience for most places in the first case though perhaps a good means of limiting population growth in the second.

If I am not mistaken, aren't most diesel locomotives actually moved by an electrical engine? I thought the diesel generated electricity and that powered the train.

I see you drive 400 miles every day, right? Ever think about moving a bit closer to that job? Now, if you are in sales, that might be a problem. As I stated, you have two cars. One is your home car (electric) and the other is a fuel efficient Gas or Diesel car for long hauls. I have two normal vehicles, one electric and the other gas. But if it were important to run very long distances, I would fire up the 30 foot RV with the 80 gallon tank which goes almost 600 miles on a fillup. But for a trip to the Grocery Store, fire up the electric at an equivalent of about 800 mpg.

The Gas prices won't stay where they are. Give it another 18 months and it's going back to about 3.50 a gallon like it was.
At that point, our oil fields go back to work hard and we become the #1 Oil Producer in the World. And at that point, the electric starts making sense fast.

Now, about the Hydrogen. One of the problems they are having right now is getting the seals to not allow the helium from trickling away. It ends up in the wheel wells, trunk and anywhere else it can find. Hydrogen is a very small molecule and is hard to contain. and very explosive. I don't see it as an alternative to Gas Cars right now.

No, I don't have a commute any more. I do however live approx. 30 miles from the nearest supermarket. My family likes living remotely. We worked hard so we don't have to be around people. When we are in Paris (our other home) we either take the Metro (the best in the world) or we drive our Golf TDI to wherever we're going. And, even if you get gas back up to 3.50 a gallon, the payoff for the EV is still over 7 years. Most people lease them do to that fact. At the current prices the payoff is on the order of 25 years, so well beyond the life expectancy of the vehicle.

In other words, if you are wealthy enough, you can afford to have an EV. Most people aren't.

i mean that is not really the breakthrough since trains have been doing it for a long time

Most trains that don't do on-board generation use overhead trolley wires or third rails. Not the utmost in convenience for most places in the first case though perhaps a good means of limiting population growth in the second.

If I am not mistaken, aren't most diesel locomotives actually moved by an electrical engine? I thought the diesel generated electricity and that powered the train.

That is correct.

with the advancement of using ammonia to hold hydrogen

for hydrogen use on demand

the amount of hydrogen will be so available

that the consumer will be able to have the option

having either a electric or combustion engine/motor
Yes, this could be a game changer but, there is no prototype. The group in the UK have a simple method of cracking the ammonia to release hydrogen and nitrogen. The rest is just ideas. If it really works in a vehicle, we're still years before you will see one at a local dealer, but it does seem like good idea.
Hydrogen breakthrough could be a game-changer for the future of car fuels

You are correct. They get three advantages from this setup. The Diesel gets to run at it's most efficient RPM. And the Induction Motors can be used for breaking. And it gets rid of the clutch and transmission.

The fact remains that the Big 3 are still pushing gas over electric or diesel hard. The General public is stupicd.

Why do liberals always want to bring us back. to the 1940s?

The fact remains that the Big 3 are still pushing gas over electric or diesel hard. The General public is stupicd.

Are you aware of just how stupid your post is? Liberal = Progressive. Meaning, striving for change.

It's your bunch that wants us to stay in the 40s since the White Man ruled without peer. And a Conservative is resistant to change.

Now, you are trying to go back to the Lincoln Republicans that your bunch threw under the Bus.

Get used to it. Change is going to happen. What I am saying, we all need to be more self reliant and stop listening to the talking heads. Learn to think for yourself. I would think that you actually did that at one time but maybe not.

Electric Vehicles are here to stay. You saying they aren't doesn't change a thing. The Electric Car was not even looked at for almost 100 years. It gave the Gas Car a huge advantage. In the very near future, prices on the batteries (an electric car battery costs in the upwards of 30,000 bucks now) will continue to fall and be made in the Good Old USA. I know that is contrary to your beliefs that it's better if it's produced overseas but the Made In USA is making quite a swing. It's good for the American Tax Payer but bad for your buddies with their nozzles securely crammed into the corporate feeding trough. And that should not be a left or a right thing but an American thing. Are you trying to be UnAmerican? Is that the way of the extreme right? Must be.

Are you aware of just how stupid your post is? Liberal = Progressive. Meaning, striving for change.

It's your bunch that wants us to stay in the 40s since the White Man ruled without peer. And a Conservative is resistant to change.

Now, you are trying to go back to the Lincoln Republicans that your bunch threw under the Bus.

Get used to it. Change is going to happen. What I am saying, we all need to be more self reliant and stop listening to the talking heads. Learn to think for yourself. I would think that you actually did that at one time but maybe not.

Electric Vehicles are here to stay. You saying they aren't doesn't change a thing. The Electric Car was not even looked at for almost 100 years. It gave the Gas Car a huge advantage. In the very near future, prices on the batteries (an electric car battery costs in the upwards of 30,000 bucks now) will continue to fall and be made in the Good Old USA. I know that is contrary to your beliefs that it's better if it's produced overseas but the Made In USA is making quite a swing. It's good for the American Tax Payer but bad for your buddies with their nozzles securely crammed into the corporate feeding trough. And that should not be a left or a right thing but an American thing. Are you trying to be UnAmerican? Is that the way of the extreme right? Must be.
No you are the fucking moron, who dont know shit about batterys and electricity it is a fucking pipe dream if you think there will be leaps and bounds in that tech because it already has been around for over 130 years and still crap.

and by your stupid fucking post we have to be like our grandparents and fucking "plan" suck it I am not waiting around for a fucking charge

And again you dumb ass liberals think we could go back to the 40s of high wages And taxes

For the life of me I will never understand why you dumb fuck Progressives can not figure out the following

1. It was after WWII Europe was in ruins

2. We didn't have the regulations we have today a monkey could make money back then

3.we didn't have the tax loop holes back then like we have today

We live in a global economy now ass hats, high wages are never coming back for lowly machine operators, get used to it were not going back to the 40s

Electric cars are always going to suck, you drive that clown car I won't

Hydrogen is way better

And p.s. Telsa was am inventor who died along time ago. This Telsa is a electric car company with all the talent put together couldn't carry Telsa left nut

Last edited:

No you are the fucking moron, who dont know shit about batterys and electricity it is a fucking pipe dream if you think there will be leaps and bounds in that tech because it already has been around for over 130 years and still crap.

and by your stupid fucking post we have to be like our grandparents and fucking "plan" suck it I am not waiting around for a fucking charge

And again you dumb ass liberals think we could go back to the 40s of high wages And taxes

For the life of me I will never understand why you dumb fuck Progressives can not figure out the following

2. We didn't have the regulations we have today a monkey could make money back then

We live in a global economy now ass hats, high wages are never coming back for lowly machine operators, get used to it were not going back to the 40s

Hydrogen is way better

And p.s. Telsa was am inventor who died along time ago. This Telsa is a electric car company with all the talent put together couldn't carry Telsa left nut

The team that built the Tesla were paying homage to the great inventor. They are not claiming to BE him.

Ok, so you don't like EVs. If I get to the point where a luxury sedan is a good fit for me, I will own a Tesla.

Hydrogen is way better

The team that built the Tesla were paying homage to the great inventor. They are not claiming to BE him.

Ok, so you don't like EVs. If I get to the point where a luxury sedan is a good fit for me, I will own a Tesla.
I know that but these asshats want to imply it is based on him

I already posted in here I wouldn't mind having one as a fourth vehicle, but my third one this summer will be a 2015 mustang convertible , I need a couple more grand

From the Blaze tonight:

Bammy promised in his 2011 State of the Union Address, that by 2015, electric cars would swarm this country's landscape thicker than illegal aliens. Yet 99.7% of the hundreds of thousands of electric cars he promised, are nowhere to be found. Yet one more idiotic pipedream by Bammy's warmies. Oh, and you the taxpayer forked over a $7,500 subsidy for every one that was sold. Just makes you feel green and cozy all over, don't it?

what amazes me you republican Idiots never used google, bing, yahoo or what ever search engine there is out there to do some simple research ... so I'll help ya tom sweetnam .... especially this one who made a ignorant rant here about Obammy ... all I did was typed in "car companies that have electric cares released in 2015" ....

to tom Sweetnam .... SURPRISE!!!!! all the car companies are releasing a electric car this year... like Ive always said republicans are just plain stupid and lazy

Last edited:

Forum List

Back