Whatever Happened to Electric Cars?

From the Blaze tonight:

Bammy promised in his 2011 State of the Union Address, that by 2015, electric cars would swarm this country's landscape thicker than illegal aliens. Yet 99.7% of the hundreds of thousands of electric cars he promised, are nowhere to be found. Yet one more idiotic pipedream by Bammy's warmies. Oh, and you the taxpayer forked over a $7,500 subsidy for every one that was sold. Just makes you feel green and cozy all over, don't it?

You must not live in an area that has people who want an electric car.

I do. They're all over the place and very common here. In fact, my husband drives a Volt.

I drive a hybrid but when I replace it I will buy an electric car. I don't like the body of the Leaf so I will probably get a Tesla.

You should go to Maui. They have even more electric cars on the road there than we do here. It seemed like it happened over night, I was there in January 2014 and saw some electric cars. I was back in July 2014 and they were everywhere.

Yes we got a tax credit of 7500 dollars in 2013 because my husband bought an electric car. We will get another credit when I replace my Prius with an electric car.

I guess you only approve of tax credits for rich business but not for Americans who do all they can to not pollute our environment or give our money to rich middle eastern nations.

Don't be a self-righteous prig. I own a ranch in Southern Colorado at 8100' above sea level, in the foothills of the San Juan Mountains, that's so remote the nearest big box shopping mall is 150 miles distant, and the closest Interstate Highway is 102 miles distant. If you don't have a full-size, V-8, 4X4 vehicle here, where winters last at least 6 months and are severe, you're risking your life quite literally. Think outside the box. We don't all live in Hawaii. "Trendy" in my part of the world is 5" of lift and a set of chains that won't fall apart after a year. Electric cars? It'll be another half century at least before they supplant internal combustion engines as a major means of transport.
Sweetie Pie, you are just being silly. A four wheel drive pickup EV would be far superior to an ICE in rough conditions. And the big vans and pickups have acres of room underneath for batteries. Having all your torque on the bottom is the ideal situation for a four wheel drive.

From the Blaze tonight:

Bammy promised in his 2011 State of the Union Address, that by 2015, electric cars would swarm this country's landscape thicker than illegal aliens. Yet 99.7% of the hundreds of thousands of electric cars he promised, are nowhere to be found. Yet one more idiotic pipedream by Bammy's warmies. Oh, and you the taxpayer forked over a $7,500 subsidy for every one that was sold. Just makes you feel green and cozy all over, don't it?

I do. They're all over the place and very common here. In fact, my husband drives a Volt.

I drive a hybrid but when I replace it I will buy an electric car. I don't like the body of the Leaf so I will probably get a Tesla.

You should go to Maui. They have even more electric cars on the road there than we do here. It seemed like it happened over night, I was there in January 2014 and saw some electric cars. I was back in July 2014 and they were everywhere.

Yes we got a tax credit of 7500 dollars in 2013 because my husband bought an electric car. We will get another credit when I replace my Prius with an electric car.

I guess you only approve of tax credits for rich business but not for Americans who do all they can to not pollute our environment or give our money to rich middle eastern nations.

Don't be a self-righteous prig. I own a ranch in Southern Colorado at 8100' above sea level, in the foothills of the San Juan Mountains, that's so remote the nearest big box shopping mall is 150 miles distant, and the closest Interstate Highway is 102 miles distant. If you don't have a full-size, V-8, 4X4 vehicle here, where winters last at least 6 months and are severe, you're risking your life quite literally. Think outside the box. We don't all live in Hawaii. "Trendy" in my part of the world is 5" of lift and a set of chains that won't fall apart after a year. Electric cars? It'll be another half century at least before they supplant internal combustion engines as a major means of transport.
Sweetie Pie, you are just being silly. A four wheel drive pickup EV would be far superior to an ICE in rough conditions. And the big vans and pickups have acres of room underneath for batteries. Having all your torque on the bottom is the ideal situation for a four wheel drive.

They don't have near the range. Traversing rough terrain is the equivalent of driving your EV really, hard. It absolutely kills the battery. There's a EV version of the Polaris RZR that has a range of 45 miles on a good day. The RZR can go 150 miles easy before a refill and of course, you can carry extra fuel with you so you can get back. Cost of the RZR is 16,000, while the EV version is 19,000.

From the Blaze tonight:

They don't have near the range. Traversing rough terrain is the equivalent of driving your EV really, hard. It absolutely kills the battery. There's a EV version of the Polaris RZR that has a range of 45 miles on a good day. The RZR can go 150 miles easy before a refill and of course, you can carry extra fuel with you so you can get back. Cost of the RZR is 16,000, while the EV version is 19,000.

the real breakthrough for any electric vehicle to get any range

is to be able to produce electricity not simply store it for usage

i mean that is not really the breakthrough since trains have been doing it for a long time

the breakthrough comes when it can be done without the aid of fossil fuels

Then why saying the ranges are the same? It's an apple and oranges comparison.

Because they ARE! Hell the Volts range is 40 miles in electric only so it has less than half the range of the old EV's. If the roads were better back then they could have built them to go faster, but the roads were crap so they didn't bother. You are correct on the differences, I have already acknowledged those, but the fundamental range IS THE SAME!
Yes, they could have been built to go faster and give up range or they could have built to go slower and have longer ranges just as designers do today. In fact. there was one built that was designed to do 120mph. However, the batteries had to be charged with each run

What you seem to be skirting around is the fact that the lead liquid acid batteries of a hundred years ago had very limited capacity compared with Lithium ion batteries of today. Most of the electric cars of a hundred years ago, could only deliver 18 to 35hp with a top speed of 15 to 20mph with a 40 mile range. To get the ranges available today, these vehicles would have to be designed to run at speeds slower than a fast walk.

There is no way you could achieve the overall performance of the today's EV's with batteries available 100 years ago. The Tesla Model S has a range of 265 miles, top speed of 125 mph, and 0 to 60 in 5.9 secs. The trade off being it has a $80,000 price tag.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that I have been agreeing with you on these facts. However the TESLA has NEVER attained the predicted ranges save under extremely favorable testing conditions. Real world experience is the range is closer to 225 miles. Less if you drive it in any sort of sporty fashion. Much less in point of fact. Figure in a sporty driving mode you'll get at best 100 miles from a charge. If the Top Gear experience with the Roadster is any gauge then figure you'll get one quarter of what TESLA claims you'll get if you are driving it hard.

"Your mileage will vary. When we attempted our first range test of the Model S, a long haul from Fontana to El Segundo via San Diego, we had to plug it in less than 2 miles from our destination, logging only 233.7 miles against the EPA's estimate of 265 miles on a single charge. A subsequent round-trip from Las Vegas to L.A. by our team validated the range, in the same way other media achieved what Broder could not. Of course, those stories didn't get quite the same amount of publicity, but it doesn't matter how big--or fraught with error--the Times story may appear. It's but one data point in what I hope will be a long and interesting trail left by the Model S and future Tesla EVs."

Read more: Tesla Model S Your Mileage May Vary - The Lohdown - Motor Trend
Although I wouldn't buy one because I live in a Condo with no way to charge it and no nearby charging stations, I sure would like to drive one. 0 to 60 in as little as 3.2 secs is incredible for an EV.

Did Bear ever say how you could charge your car in a condo? I seem to recall him saying you could do it if you knew how.
No.

I've approached our Board with no results. I was told if enough owners get EV's then it would be considered. Fat chance of that happening with no charging station within 5 miles.

From the Blaze tonight:

i mean that is not really the breakthrough since trains have been doing it for a long time

The problem is it takes some fuel source such as hydrogen to generate enough electricity and for that you have to develop the infrastructure of fueling stations. Maybe cold fusion might turn out to be the answer.

The problem is it takes some fuel source such as hydrogen to generate enough electricity and for that you have to develop the infrastructure of fueling stations. Maybe cold fusion might turn out to be the answer.

Well, cold fusion is a non starter. Currently there are no lab experiments that have ever worked. If hydrogen fuel cells do make the cut, then the infrastructure will fairly quickly develop to service them. That's the way of the world.

Most trains that don't do on-board generation use overhead trolley wires or third rails. Not the utmost in convenience for most places in the first case though perhaps a good means of limiting population growth in the second.

hydrogen refueling stations are already established

with thousands more planned

i envision a time when the "refueling stations" are a thing of the past

a time when hydrogen can be produced in the vehicle itself

taken from everyday things like water or ammonia

Most trains that don't do on-board generation use overhead trolley wires or third rails. Not the utmost in convenience for most places in the first case though perhaps a good means of limiting population growth in the second.

--LOL

Another liberal green failure I'm shocked /sarcasm. Libs its not okay to fail, get it through your thick skulls there's no consolation prize for failing.

Well that would be blockbuster

Well that would be blockbuster

it is on its way

ammonia is looking very promising in the short term

Right now, many have all kinds of "Reasons" not to own a second car that is electric.

No, the Electric would be hard pressed to drive cross country. This is why you have a second car that is used for that.

Yes, the pure electric car costs more due to the expensive batteries. But Telsa and Sony are teaming up on a factory to manufacture those batteries at a much lower cost rate than today. Most batteries are imported from China or India and both keep the prices artificially inflated.

Yes, Lithium Batteries are a bit dirty to make. This is why Tesla is seriously looking at some western states that have millions of unused desolate desert areas that can be used. Arizona, Utah and NM are receptive. This truly creates jobs. And it enables us to have lower priced lithium products.

The fact remains that the Big 3 are still pushing gas over electric or diesel hard. The General public is stupid.

Right now, many have all kinds of "Reasons" not to own a second car that is electric.

No, the Electric would be hard pressed to drive cross country. This is why you have a second car that is used for that.

Yes, the pure electric car costs more due to the expensive batteries. But Telsa and Sony are teaming up on a factory to manufacture those batteries at a much lower cost rate than today. Most batteries are imported from China or India and both keep the prices artificially inflated.

Yes, Lithium Batteries are a bit dirty to make. This is why Tesla is seriously looking at some western states that have millions of unused desolate desert areas that can be used. Arizona, Utah and NM are receptive. This truly creates jobs. And it enables us to have lower priced lithium products.

The fact remains that the Big 3 are still pushing gas over electric or diesel hard. The General public is stupid.

No, stupid, the General Public doesn't have 30K+ to purchase a limited use vehicle.

No, stupid, the General Public doesn't have 30K+ to purchase a limited use vehicle.

well put

When prices come down, ranges increase, and charging is as easy and fast as filling up a tank, then I will certainly consider buying an electric. I love the quietness of the car and lack of pollution, but I'm not going to pay five or ten thousand dollars more for a car that I have to drive 5 miles to a charging station and wait 4 hours for a charge. Till then, I'll stick with my hybrid.

When prices come down, ranges increase, and charging is as easy and fast as filling up a tank, then I will certainly consider buying an electric. I love the quietness of the car and lack of pollution, but I'm not going to pay five or ten thousand dollars more for a car that I have to drive 5 miles to a charging station and wait 4 hours for a charge. Till then, I'll stick with my hybrid.

The range for the Teslas is about 250 miles. A Charging station takes about 30 minutes. Thank you for showing me that "Excu........." er Reasons abound The reason the electrics from the main auto makers is so low (about 40 to 50 miles of real driving) is that they are cutting costs of batteries. Tesla doesn't cut corners. By cutting the cost of their batteries they can drop the price and sell their superior batteries at a reduced cost to other manufacturers. And break the stranglehold that China has.

But reasons are quickly becoming excuses.

The range for the Teslas is about 250 miles. A Charging station takes about 30 minutes. Thank you for showing me that "Excu........." er Reasons abound The reason the electrics from the main auto makers is so low (about 40 to 50 miles of real driving) is that they are cutting costs of batteries. Tesla doesn't cut corners. By cutting the cost of their batteries they can drop the price and sell their superior batteries at a reduced cost to other manufacturers. And break the stranglehold that China has.

The claimed range for the S is 285 miles. Actual achieved range by Motor Trend was 225 miles. That was with easy driving. Speed it up and you lose half the range in hurry. Drive it really fast and you have a range of 90 to 100 miles. The rapid charge from the charging station does not give you a full charge either. The Rapid charge is a half charge, the full charge still takes hours.

Rapid charging at a Tesla EV Supercharge station

The claimed range for the S is 285 miles. Actual achieved range by Motor Trend was 225 miles. That was with easy driving. Speed it up and you lose half the range in hurry. Drive it really fast and you have a range of 90 to 100 miles. The rapid charge from the charging station does not give you a full charge either. The Rapid charge is a half charge, the full charge still takes hours.

Rapid charging at a Tesla EV Supercharge station
Drive it really hard, and you will probably spend some time as the guest of whatever county you are in, in whatever state you are in.

Forum List

Back