Whatever Happened to Electric Cars?

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Aug 27, 2014
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills
From the Blaze tonight:

Bammy promised in his 2011 State of the Union Address, that by 2015, electric cars would swarm this country's landscape thicker than illegal aliens. Yet 99.7% of the hundreds of thousands of electric cars he promised, are nowhere to be found. Yet one more idiotic pipedream by Bammy's warmies. Oh, and you the taxpayer forked over a $7,500 subsidy for every one that was sold. Just makes you feel green and cozy all over, don't it?

The car industry bought all the patents they could to shut down competition to oil and hybrid vehicles, and Tesla focuses on the luxury market.
Idiot.
Car companies produce electric cars.

What has done them in is gasoline at 1.89 or whatever.

The car industry bought all the patents they could to shut down competition to oil and hybrid vehicles, and Tesla focuses on the luxury market.

Are you stoned? That is the most preposterous thing I've heard in at least a year.

Idiot.
Car companies produce electric cars.

What has done them in is gasoline at 1.89 or whatever.
Thanks for showing me how far out of reality you are.

Electric cars are more expensive to buy, and even hybrids put most out of pocket when compared to the start up costs of oil vehicles.

The oil price is not a constant, and in many parts of the world including Europe and Asia the oil price is still high.

That you started out claiming the oil price, and not the price of vehicle puts people off, really shows the high horse you are up on.

Are you stoned? That is the most preposterous thing I've heard in at least a year.
Fact. Unless you are calling the Tesla board, liars: All Our Patent Are Belong To You Tesla Motors

You claimed the car industry bought all the patents which is patently ridiculous. Tesla is one company following a business model. They're not even the most expensive EV out there either. The Merc SLS E Cell is over 300,000.

Fact. Unless you are calling the Tesla board, liars: All Our Patent Are Belong To You Tesla Motors

You claimed the car industry bought all the patents which is patently ridiculous. Tesla is one company following a business model. They're not even the most expensive EV out there either. The Merc SLS E Cell is over 300,000.

Nope. Read my post again. It says 'all the patents' then the operative word 'could'.

Meaning that companies bought all the patents they COULD buy - not that they bought all the patents (but as as many as they COULD).

Please read my posts, rather than misrepresenting them.

The Chevy Blaze was going to be GM's salvationmobile. It was going to make the warmies swoon and GM would never again have to hold out its tin cup to the US taxpayer. How'd that work out?
In the dustbin, like a lot of electric vehicles. It wasn't down to the oil price, but the cost of the car itself. As a consumer would you rather have a car for 16k-20k or have to pay 40k for a hybrid equivalent. How about a fully electric vehicle at even higher prices?

Apart from a feel good 'saved the environment' myth, electric cars have no real benefit. In fact when you think about it, they are using electricity off the power grid, and most of that electricity comes from non-renewable sources.

Electric cars don't 'save' anything - they just put the pollution at the power station rather than on the roads.

Nope. Read my post again. It says 'all the patents' then the operative word 'could'.

Meaning that companies bought all the patents they COULD buy - not that they bought all the patents (but as as many as they COULD).

Your post is ridiculous no matter how you wish to parse the words therein. That's the point I made.

The Chevy Blaze was going to be GM's salvationmobile. It was going to make the warmies swoon and GM would never again have to hold out its tin cup to the US taxpayer. How'd that work out?
In the dustbin, like a lot of electric vehicles. It wasn't down to the oil price, but the cost of the car itself. As a consumer would you rather have a car for 16k-20k or have to pay 40k for a hybrid equivalent. How about a fully electric vehicle at even higher prices?

Apart from a feel good 'saved the environment' myth, electric cars have no real benefit. In fact when you think about it, they are using electricity off the power grid, and most of that electricity comes from non-renewable sources.

Electric cars don't 'save' anything - they just put the pollution at the power station rather than on the roads.

All very true. I own stock in TransCanada, the Keystone Pipeline Company. The useful idiots around here don't want to acknowledge that TransCanada has set a goal of 50 mpg for its own petroleum-powered service fleet by 2020. It was that same determination by American auto manufacturers after the $5.00+ per gallon petro shock we all went through a few years back, that drove them into manufacturing much more fuel-efficient cars & trucks; not necessarily smaller or cheaper in all cases, but more fuel-efficient vehicles. We had to. The transfer of wealth from the US to Canada during that period was the largest between this country and any other in our history. The Canadian dollar reached parity with the greenback and the Canadians were smug in the fact that they sat on a sea of shale oil that along with North Dakota's shale oil reserves could keep this continent burning for a century or more. On top of the geopolitics driving oil prices down, is that part of the equation as well. Our technical prowess dictated that we didn't need as much oil, so demand dropped. We can do almost anything in this country that we really want too. We just have to want to.

Your post is ridiculous no matter how you wish to parse the words therein. That's the point I made.
So you believe there are no patents, and that the major stumbling block to development was not patent issues and cost of production - despite the car industry manufacturers saying it was. Your response is as ridiculous as your mispresenration of my post.

All very true. I own stock in TransCanada, the Keystone Pipeline Company. The useful idiots around here don't want to acknowledge that TransCanada has set a goal of 50 mpg for its own petroleum-powered service fleet by 2020. It was that same determination by American auto manufacturers after the $5.00+ per gallon petro shock we all went through a few years back, that drove them into manufacturing much more fuel-efficient cars & trucks; not necessarily smaller or cheaper in all cases, but more fuel-efficient vehicles. We had to. The transfer of wealth from the US to Canada during that period was the largest between this country and any other in our history. The Canadian dollar reached parity with the greenback and the Canadians were smug in the fact that they sat on a sea of shale oil that along with North Dakota's shale oil reserves could keep this continent burning for a century or more. On top of the geopolitics driving oil prices down, is that part of the equation as well. Our technical prowess dictated that we didn't need as much oil, so demand dropped. We can do almost anything in this country that we really want too. We just have to want to.
Well realistically there is only one viable alternative to oil vehicles and that's hydrogen fuel cell technology, which is still too expensive to produce on the same scale.

At worst estimates oil is alleged to 'run out' in 50-100 years, which is more than enough time to move to hydrogen vehicles and develop them.

There is no urgency to move to electric vehicles, or to produce them, as there is no need for them. People are quite happy with oil vehicles, and so are car manufacturers.

A lot of problems with Tesla have to do with the automotive retail lobby throwing wrenches in their spokes. Auto manufacturers and the auto retailers that sell their end product at dealerships aren't vertically integrated. They're independent companies. Tesla wants to end that. They want absolute control of the product from raw steel to the sale of the vehicle, to 100% of warranty and service work. History has proven that doesn't work very well, and the one getting screwed in the end is the customer of course.

If anyone believed that electric cars would overtake gas powered cars in less than a decade, I have a bridge I would love to sell you.

But there have been advances. And there are over 100,000 production electric vehicles on the road now. Not bad considering the entire industry is just a few years old.

If anyone believed that electric cars would overtake gas powered cars in less than a decade, I have a bridge I would love to sell you.

But there have been advances. And there are over 100,000 production electric vehicles on the road now. Not bad considering the entire industry is just a few years old.
They won't overtake oil vehicles, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will eventually though.

Forum List

Back