Whatever Happened to Electric Cars?

Superchargers

A ways to go yet, but considering how quickly Tesla is putting these stations up, by 2020, you will never be more than 100 miles from one.

Two glaring problems. One, partially-charging a battery is one of the fastest ways to kill it! And two, it cannot last...it is not a sustainable business model.

That was true with nickel and nickel-cadium batteries. But partially discharging a lithium-ion battery is preferable to a complete discharge. So partially discharging the batteries and recharging them is better than completely discharging the li-ion batteries.

Not a single post of yours isn't a profane rag. So, you want to be in charge. You will some day. Hell just might need a new leader.

BTW, I happen to be a moderate like MOST Americans. In 2016, the Reps in Congress had better damn well get busy.

You reap what you sow. Your first post was belligerent and accusatory and you're surprised when you receive the same. Really......

You shot first. Then you complain when the other person shoots back. When that happens, you are just bitching.

Untrue. Your first post in this thread was an attack. Your responses were in kind. And you are the person whining. Not us.

Disagreeing isn't an attack. I realized something the other day talking to my Sister. She is hard core right wing. Everything brought up sooner or later leads to "Obamasomething" in a negative way. Sitting on my side, the hate just oozes. You don't talk with us, you talk to us. And anything that is said outside of your "Argument" is obviously an attack and deserves a whole series of Profanity. You have taken Liberal to the profane stages in your mind. So, it's equal to you yelling "N...ger" over and over. Well, profane one,, I disagree with you enough levels that forces me to "Disagree" with you.

You called anyone who didn't agree with you "stupid". That's not a disagreement, that's an attack. Thanks for playing but you are simply wrong, and intellectually dishonest to boot.

Okay, I would like to apologize to each and every stupid person on earth. I seem to have slighted them all calling you stupid. Damned, all those apology notes I have to mail is going to be murder.

And I didn't say you were stupid. If you took that meaning, "If the shoe doesn't fit, don't try it on".

GM loses money on every Volt but makes it up on the volume.

I knew a fella that had a clothing business like that.

Had.

That's par for the course with any new technology. Anything from video players to combustible engines went through the same growing pains.

How long did it take for the gaming industry to deal with those problems? Did they use taxpayer money to do it? Not long, and no, they didn't.

You reap what you sow. Your first post was belligerent and accusatory and you're surprised when you receive the same. Really......

You shot first. Then you complain when the other person shoots back. When that happens, you are just bitching.

Untrue. Your first post in this thread was an attack. Your responses were in kind. And you are the person whining. Not us.

Disagreeing isn't an attack. I realized something the other day talking to my Sister. She is hard core right wing. Everything brought up sooner or later leads to "Obamasomething" in a negative way. Sitting on my side, the hate just oozes. You don't talk with us, you talk to us. And anything that is said outside of your "Argument" is obviously an attack and deserves a whole series of Profanity. You have taken Liberal to the profane stages in your mind. So, it's equal to you yelling "N...ger" over and over. Well, profane one,, I disagree with you enough levels that forces me to "Disagree" with you.

You called anyone who didn't agree with you "stupid". That's not a disagreement, that's an attack. Thanks for playing but you are simply wrong, and intellectually dishonest to boot.

Okay, I would like to apologize to each and every stupid person on earth. I seem to have slighted them all calling you stupid. Damned, all those apology notes I have to mail is going to be murder.

And I didn't say you were stupid. If you took that meaning, "If the shoe doesn't fit, don't try it on".

You just can't help yourself can you.... Your arrogance does you a disservice.

GM loses money on every Volt but makes it up on the volume.

I knew a fella that had a clothing business like that.

Had.

That's par for the course with any new technology. Anything from video players to combustible engines went through the same growing pains.

How long did it take for the gaming industry to deal with those problems? Did they use taxpayer money to do it? Not long, and no, they didn't.

Taxpayer money??? I guess they were taxpayers and it was their money....

I'm not against their success...I am against their SUBSIDIES!

What subsidies? Please point them out.

Off the top of my head, the $7500 tax credit. (A subsidy by any other name still sucks.)

That's not a subsidy, it's....

drum-roll-please-2.gif~original

YOUR OWN MONEY!!!

Tax breaks are bad now???

I see.

Everybody pays taxes that have a little bit siphoned off and given to those who are buying EV's. As the middle class is the most affected by taxes, and it is the wealthy buying the EV's, once again it's the 99% getting screwed. The middle class is subsidizing the rich to buy their toys. It truly is as simple as that.

Lord almighty ... can we get back on topic, guys? Hug this crap out, but please quit derailing the thread with the back and forth.

It takes it over a mile to attain these speeds. At 1260 hp at 2700 lbs it's about right. It's the record holder for the mile for a production car. Meanwhile the meager Model S from Tesla will beat it hands down through the 8th mile. Which sounds more reasonable for the street?

Everybody pays taxes that have a little bit siphoned off and given to those who are buying EV's. As the middle class is the most affected by taxes, and it is the wealthy buying the EV's, once again it's the 99% getting screwed. The middle class is subsidizing the rich to buy their toys. It truly is as simple as that.

That's incorrect, the only tax credit offered was non-refundable, e.g., one that only counts as a deduction.

A refundable tax credit would be one like the EIC. That would be a gub'ment freebie.

Tesla Insane button gives unsuspecting passengers a wild ride

Watch the video about the new "Insane" setting in the Tesla Model S P85D.

My Subaru Outback accelerates just as fast when the turbo kicks in. I'm sorry but that is not impressive to anyone who has been around fast accelerating vehicles. Scaring little old ladies is cute but not hard, or impressive. If you want to see insane watch this video, 0-200 mph in 14.51 seconds.

Your Subaru will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds? Sorry, I gotta call bullshit on that. Plus, as you said "when the turbo kicks in", the Tesla does it instantly, without waiting for anything.

And no, the point of the Tesla is not to scare little old ladies. I thought the video was entertaining. I guess you didn't.

It takes it over a mile to attain these speeds. At 1260 hp at 2700 lbs it's about right. It's the record holder for the mile for a production car. Meanwhile the meager Model S from Tesla will beat it hands down through the 8th mile. Which sounds more reasonable for the street?

Tesla vs GTR in a drag race. The Tesla loses, so clearly the Hennesey which is loads faster than the GTR will slaughter the Tesla. I actually like the Model S, and have driven one. It is a great car. It truly is. What I despise is the reliance on taxpayer money to subsidize everything Tesla. The Tesla's are bout by the wealthy, but they get subsidies from the middle class to do it. That's bullshit. If you can afford to buy a Tesla in the first place you should pay full ride and let the middle class taxes go where they're needed.

That is my sole issue with the Tesla.

My Subaru Outback accelerates just as fast when the turbo kicks in. I'm sorry but that is not impressive to anyone who has been around fast accelerating vehicles. Scaring little old ladies is cute but not hard, or impressive. If you want to see insane watch this video, 0-200 mph in 14.51 seconds.

Your Subaru will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds? Sorry, I gotta call bullshit on that. Plus, as you said "when the turbo kicks in", the Tesla does it instantly, without waiting for anything.

And no, the point of the Tesla is not to scare little old ladies. I thought the video was entertaining. I guess you didn't.

No, it will do it in 4.7 seconds. However IT'S a STATION WAGON! And it costs HALF of what a Tesla does. And no, nothing on this planet goes from zero to 60 "instantly". That's a physical impossibility, the top fuel dragsters are the fastest accelerating cars in the world and they do 0-60 in .48 seconds at 5.7 G acceleration. That computes to 0-100 mph in .8 seconds.

Annnd, checking a non biased source shows the base Model S 0-60 time as 5.6 seconds. The Tesla Performance drops that to 3.9 seconds, at an additional cost of 23,000 dollars! Almost the entire cost of my Outback!

Tesla 0-60 Times Quarter Mile Times - Zero to 60MPH Zero to 60MPH

Last edited:
No one will call the 2.5i Limited "quick." We managed a 0-60-mph time of 9.6 seconds in our testing, which is 0.2 second quicker than the old car.

2015 Subaru Outback Road Test Edmunds.com

Try comparing the actual car I have. It's a 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited. Much smaller. Far more powerful and a hell of a blast to drive! The engine is derived from their World Rally Championship race cars. Same engine, just not tuned as crazily.

2006-Subaru-Outback-2.5-XT-Limited-Wagon-3.jpg

list-of-cars-by-tag-subaru-impreza-wrcsubaru-impreza-wrc-subaru-impreza-wrx_db7fc.jpg

No, it will do it in 4.7 seconds. However IT'S a STATION WAGON! And it costs HALF of what a Tesla does. And no, nothing on this planet goes from zero to 60 "instantly". That's a physical impossibility, the top fuel dragsters are the fastest accelerating cars in the world and they do 0-60 in .48 seconds at 5.7 G acceleration. That computes to 0-100 mph in .8 seconds.

Annnd, checking a non biased source shows the base Model S 0-60 time as 5.6 seconds. The Tesla Performance drops that to 3.9 seconds, at an additional cost of 23,000 dollars! Almost the entire cost of my Outback!

I did not mean it would be going 60 mph instantly. But I did mean that an electric motor does not wait for anythingto spin up, kick in, or gulp air. In fact, that is one of the common themes of people who drove them is the instant response to the accelerator.

Whether it is a station wagon or whether it is free, the claim was made that the Subaru will do that (when the turbo kicks in).

Also, the base model Tesla is not what I was referring to, nor was it what was in the video. That is a Tesla Model S P85D, with the dual electric motors. Yes, it is an expensive car. But that does not change any of the performance facts.

I did not mean it would be going 60 mph instantly. But I did mean that an electric motor does not wait for anythingto spin up, kick in, or gulp air. In fact, that is one of the common themes of people who drove them is the instant response to the accelerator.

Whether it is a station wagon or whether it is free, the claim was made that the Subaru will do that (when the turbo kicks in).

Also, the base model Tesla is not what I was referring to, nor was it what was in the video. That is a Tesla Model S P85D, with the dual electric motors. Yes, it is an expensive car. But that does not change any of the performance facts.

The zero to 60 speeds for the Subaru beat the standard Tesla. You have to spend 23,000 more to be able to beat my station wagon......so I guess yes, you are correct, but I would expect a 95,000 dollar vehicle to beat a 30,000 dollar one. Wouldn't you?

The zero to 60 speeds for the Subaru beat the standard Tesla. You have to spend 23,000 more to be able to beat my station wagon......so I guess yes, you are correct, but I would expect a 95,000 dollar vehicle to beat a 30,000 dollar one. Wouldn't you?

If that was its sole attribute, sure. But your Subaru will beat a Mercedes S550. Does that make the Mercedes worthless?

If that was its sole attribute, sure. But your Subaru will beat a Mercedes S550. Does that make the Mercedes worthless?

Not at all. Did I claim the Tesla was worthless? I just claimed it wasn't that impressive.

Forum List

Back