What Will Happen to the Post Office

As long as we have hacks like Federal Express fucking up the simple act of package delivery, the USPS will remain the go-to system. I send and receive packages pretty regularly here in the sticks and I'd say 75% of incoming and 100% of outgoing is via the Post Office, which make no mistake is unquestionably the best in the world.

How does FEDEX fuck up package delivery? Privatizing the Post Office would lead to lower prices and faster, more reliable delivery - also less junkmail.

The vast majority of snail mail I get via USPS is junk mail, and the only thing I've sent recently via USPS is a mail in ballot. I don't send or received a single other thing of importance via USPS. I have, however, received a couple of notices to keep my car the proper distance from my mailbox or they'll hold my mail at the post office. :confused:

As long as we have hacks like Federal Express fucking up the simple act of package delivery, the USPS will remain the go-to system. I send and receive packages pretty regularly here in the sticks and I'd say 75% of incoming and 100% of outgoing is via the Post Office, which make no mistake is unquestionably the best in the world.

How does FEDEX fuck up package delivery? Privatizing the Post Office would lead to lower prices and faster, more reliable delivery - also less junkmail.

The vast majority of snail mail I get via USPS is junk mail, and the only thing I've sent recently via USPS is a mail in ballot. I don't send or received a single other thing of importance via USPS. I have, however, received a couple of notices to keep my car the proper distance from my mailbox or they'll hold my mail at the post office. :confused:
you bet.....i had a guy who parked right in front of his curbside box and was so close you could not even open the box......he actually complained that he got no mail because he was expecting a check.....poor fucker.....lots of stories like this.....was your box curbside?.....

I ship a lot of packages & The US Post Office beats FedEx all day long on price & reliability on it's flat rate box shipping, plus they supply the boxes & pick up daily.

The Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses relying on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

I ship a lot of packages & The US Post Office beats FedEx all day long on price & reliability on it's flat rate box shipping, plus they supply the boxes & pick up daily.

The Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses relying on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

Horseshit. Every study done shows the Post Office to be far slower and far less reliable.

The Post Office is a government run monopoly. I thought libs were opposed to monopolies.

FedEx and UPS have gone down in service. Both routinely deliver partial shipments (3 out of 5 boxes, etc.) to my place of business. My UPS driver will often tell me that he can't find one or two of the boxes that are supposed to be on his truck then he'll deliver them them the next day. Bad service!

Horseshit. Every study done shows the Post Office to be far slower and far less reliable.

The Post Office is a government run monopoly. I thought libs were opposed to monopolies.
I ship and receive about 400 small packages a year through the US Postal service and could not be happier or more pleased with their quality of delivery service, timeliness, and pricing! I've had 2 lost packages in 3.25 years, and they both showed up a few days later. Small businesses can afford and rely on it to get the job done when shipping small packages from 1lb - 6 lbs.

You are a Dipshit! Shipping by US post office is easier, faster & cheaper than FedEx, UPS or DHL.

Ship a heavy box 10"x7"x5" for $5.25 by US post office & it will get there in 2 days.

Send only a little 6 pound box by FedEx Ground & it will take 3 or more days & they will fee you to death. Transportation Charge $9.66 + Volume Discount -$0.77+ Residential $3.35 + Fuel Surcharge $0.93 + DAS Resi $3.40 = Total charges $16.57 Double these charges if you send it Express.

Send a letter by US Post Office & it only cost 49 cents. FedEx will be more than 20+ times higher.

Last edited:

You are a Dipshit! Shipping by US post office is easier, faster & cheaper than FedEx, UPS or DHL.

Ship a heavy box 10"x7"x5" for $5.25 by US post office & it will get there in 2 days.

Sent only a little 6 pound box by FedEx & it will take 3 or more days & they will fee you to death. Transportation Charge $9.66 + Volume Discount -$0.77+ Residential $3.35 + Fuel Surcharge $0.93 + DAS Resi $3.40 = Total charges $16.57

So all those Fortune 1000 companies that use FEDEX are stupid?

I ship and receive about 400 small packages a year through the US Postal service and could not be happier or more pleased with their quality of delivery service, timeliness, and pricing! I've had 2 lost packages in 3.25 years, and they both showed up a few days later. Small businesses can afford and rely on it to get the job done when shipping small packages from 1lb - 6 lbs.

Another drone pipes up to defend the government postal monopoly.

How positively boring.

UPS & FedEx are losing. Last yeay all my FedEx & UPS Christmas gifts were delayed over a week. This year I used only the post office.

Sent only a little 6 pound box by FedEx & it will take 3 or more days & they will fee you to death. Transportation Charge $9.66 + Volume Discount -$0.77+ Residential $3.35 + Fuel Surcharge $0.93 + DAS Resi $3.40 = Total charges $16.57

They are, actually. I get checks Fed Exed to me all the time when sending it though the mail is a much cheaper option.

They are, actually. I get checks Fed Exed to me all the time when sending it though the mail is a much cheaper option.

That's probably because they want proof that the check arrived, and they want it to arrive on time.

The US Postal Service is doing fine job with packages, and they have improved greatly over the years...Corporations are stupid if using FedX or UPS for small packages, but who cares with them, the stock holder pays for it or their consumer, but still money that could have been more profits for the stock holder...

Though very large corporations get a discount with FedX and UPS...so maybe they can get better prices than I could as a very small business?

Lower gasoline prices is going to help all three of these businesses, especially the postal service who does not have a gasoline/service charge when gasoline prices go up.

There is room for all 3 package services....it helps keep all 3 competitive and the more competition the more cost effective conscious, all three of them become....

That's probably because they want proof that the check arrived, and they want it to arrive on time.
I don't think so. There is sometimes a valid reason to fed ex the check, for instance, if there is a deadline that I must have it by. This is often not the case and simply mailing it would do and the fact that I deposit it would alert them to the fact that it arrived.

having the post office killed by privatization is not wise at this time and I think it's invaluable just to have a force that can physically make the rounds if nothing more. Just me I suppose.

The US Postal Service is doing fine job with packages, and they have improved greatly over the years...Corporations are stupid if using FedX or UPS for small packages, but who cares with them, the stock holder pays for it or their consumer, but still money that could have been more profits for the stock holder...

Though very large corporations get a discount with FedX and UPS...so maybe they can get better prices than I could as a very small business?

Lower gasoline prices is going to help all three of these businesses, especially the postal service who does not have a gasoline/service charge when gasoline prices go up.

There is room for all 3 package services....it helps keep all 3 competitive and the more competition the more cost effective conscious, all three of them become....

The issue isn't whether FEDEX and UPS should deliver packages. The issue is whether they should deliver First Class mail. None of the defenders of the Postal System have given any reason why they shouldn't.

having the post office killed by privatization is not wise at this time and I think it's invaluable just to have a force that can physically make the rounds if nothing more. Just me I suppose.

If privatization would kill it, then it shouldn't continue to exist. It would only die if it isn't providing a better service than competing alternatives.

I don't think so. There is sometimes a valid reason to fed ex the check, for instance, if there is a deadline that I must have it by. This is often not the case and simply mailing it would do and the fact that I deposit it would alert them to the fact that it arrived.

Cashing it and the time it arrived are two separate things.

Forum List

Back