What Was Jimmy Carter's Greatest Achievement?

If I had to name a single greatest achievement by Jimmy Carter, I would say the Iran Hostage Crisis

Carter ignored the war hawks screaming that our honor was destroyed, that we needed strong military action, bomb them, invade Iran, make them pay

If Carter had listened, he would have appeared to be a strong, decisive President who takes no shit from nobody....It would have gotten him a second term
It also would have probably gotten the hostages killed

Instead, Carter took the insults about his manhood. He worked behind the scenes to negotiate a release

All hostages were returned safely.
LOL! You live in a fantasy world.
In the real world Carter sat by impotently, finally ordering a military strike that was a desperate failure, owing to his cutting the military after Vietnam, and did nothing effective. The Iranians were scared of Reagan and they released the hostages the day he became president.

Carter showed admirable restraint that resulted in all the hostages being returned safely

As the TV networks ticked off the days and Carters approval plummeted during an election year the easy response would have been to play John Wayne and order military action against Iran. It would have given Carter the tough guy cred that would have easily defeated Reagan. It would have also resulted in the death of many of the hostages

Carter realized the safety of the hostages was more important than his own political ambitions

It was his finest hour
Repeating yourself isnt arguing. You are still wrong.
Carter was too afraid to order decisive action and as a result appeared weak and vacillating. When he did finally order military action it was a total clusterfuck.
The Iranians appreciated strength and despised weakness. They still do. So their fear of Reagan led them to release the hostages.

Did their "Fear" of Reagan lead to Iran Contra? Seems Reagan was willing to give them anything to get the release of seven hostages.
Carter gave up nothing to get the release of fifty two hostages
Lemme check.
Yup, you're still smoking crack.

If I had to name a single greatest achievement by Jimmy Carter, I would say the Iran Hostage Crisis

Carter ignored the war hawks screaming that our honor was destroyed, that we needed strong military action, bomb them, invade Iran, make them pay

If Carter had listened, he would have appeared to be a strong, decisive President who takes no shit from nobody....It would have gotten him a second term

Instead, Carter took the insults about his manhood. He worked behind the scenes to negotiate a release

In the real world Carter sat by impotently, finally ordering a military strike that was a desperate failure, owing to his cutting the military after Vietnam, and did nothing effective. The Iranians were scared of Reagan and they released the hostages the day he became president.

Carter showed admirable restraint that resulted in all the hostages being returned safely

As the TV networks ticked off the days and Carters approval plummeted during an election year the easy response would have been to play John Wayne and order military action against Iran. It would have given Carter the tough guy cred that would have easily defeated Reagan. It would have also resulted in the death of many of the hostages

Carter realized the safety of the hostages was more important than his own political ambitions

It was his finest hour
Carter was too afraid to order decisive action and as a result appeared weak and vacillating. When he did finally order military action it was a total clusterfuck.
The Iranians appreciated strength and despised weakness. They still do. So their fear of Reagan led them to release the hostages.

Did their "Fear" of Reagan lead to Iran Contra? Seems Reagan was willing to give them anything to get the release of seven hostages.
Lemme check.
I accept your concession

How many hostages were Killed under Raygun compared to Carter?

The military planned the rescue operation not the President.

Congress mandated cuts to the military.

It was his finest hour

Lemme check.

We were having a pretty solid discussion until you decided to slip on your own vomit. Why don't you run along and go cornhole a canoer or whatever it is you do in your free time.

Our special forces capability in the 70s is nothing compared to today. They split up the team so that all services were represented and nobody took all the credit. The equipment was poorly suited for the environment or the mission
Even the bin Laden mission which was looked at as such a success was almost a colossal failure as one helicopter crashed on the wall. Thankfully, nobody was killed

LOL! Deflect and spin. It's all you've got Yeah, Carter had no responsibility at all. Yet Bush bungled Iraq.
You're a fucking hypocrite and a tool.

Our special forces capability in the 70s is nothing compared to today. They split up the team so that all services were represented and nobody took all the credit. The equipment was poorly suited for the environment or the mission
Even the bin Laden mission which was looked at as such a success was almost a colossal failure as one helicopter crashed on the wall. Thankfully, nobody was killed
Yeah the military, esp SF, really thrived under Bush. Too bad Obama has reversed all that and rendered the military nearly helpless.

Yeah the military, esp SF, really thrived under Bush. Too bad Obama has reversed all that and rendered the military nearly helpless.

Really now?

Why is it Obamas special forces killed bin Laden and Bush couldn't even find him?

Creating more debt than every president before him combined, withough ever getting a budget passed.

Hey be careful...

They start to attack when you tell this kind of FACT!!

There are a LOT of facts to go around

"In February 2001, Republican President George W. Bush stated:

Many of you have talked about the need to pay down our national debt. I listened, and I agree. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to act now, and I hope you will join me to pay down $2 trillion in debt during the next 10 years. At the end of those 10 years, we will have paid down all the debt that is available to retire. That is more debt, repaid more quickly than has ever been repaid by any nation at any time in history.

* From the time that Congress enacted Bush's first major economic proposal (June 2001) until the time that he left office (January 2009), the national debt rose from 53% of GDP to 74%, or an average of 2.7 percentage points per year.

* During eight years in office, President Bush vetoed 12 bills, four of which were overridden by Congress and thus enacted without his approval. These bills were projected by the Congressional Budget Office to increase the deficit by $26 billion during 2008-2022"

The debt to GDP ratio went from 74% in 2009 to 103% at present. That is an average of 4.8 % per year.

Maybe a better question to ask is this:

What was George W. Bush's biggest fiasco?

A. Was it the debacle that was/is Iraq in his hunt for nonexistent WMDs?

B. Was it his botched federal response to a natural disaster that everyone saw coming on TV. I mean, it's NOT like it was an earthquake that came as a complete surprise.

C. Was it the financial meltdown which was the biggest disruption of the economic lives of Americans (not to mention the rest of the world) since the Great Depression?

My vote goes for A. since many thousands of American soldiers and marines lost their lives, 10s of thousands of Americans were wounded and maimed, and over hundred thousand Iraqis have been killed.

And let's not forget that W was the conservatives' hero, and champion, and the one who was going to put American on the right track again. Of course, NOW, conservatives say this: George W. Bush? Well he wasn't REALLY a conservative. That reminds me of the old tagline from Mission Impossible when the voice on the tape said the following:

"As always should any member of your IMF force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow all knowledge of your actions." Conservatives are now disavowing Bush's conservatism.

The bottom line is that we do NOT need any more conservative leadership in this country, period!

and what about Al Sharptons greatest accomplishment? I think it was the time he crapped 9 pounds of poop in his boxers when he got the runs in downtown Harlem and couldnt find a vacant mens room or a tree.

I think you're confusing that with Sarah Palin when she cut and ran from her job.

Actually, I think she did the right thing rather than being constantly distracted by endless legal attacks from the left which in the end, panned out to be baseless.

Some people will do their elected jobs regardless the legal attacks, they end up admired and not scorned as Ms Palin has discovered.

She should have started a Palin defense fund like Bill Clinton did to pay the lawyers to defend against frivolous partisan lawsuits. But she had too much class to sink to that level. Of course Clinton lost in court because they were not frivolous in his case.

Creating more debt than every president before him combined, withough ever getting a budget passed.

Hey be careful...

They start to attack when you tell this kind of FACT!!

There are a LOT of facts to go around

"In February 2001, Republican President George W. Bush stated:

Many of you have talked about the need to pay down our national debt. I listened, and I agree. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to act now, and I hope you will join me to pay down $2 trillion in debt during the next 10 years. At the end of those 10 years, we will have paid down all the debt that is available to retire. That is more debt, repaid more quickly than has ever been repaid by any nation at any time in history.

* From the time that Congress enacted Bush's first major economic proposal (June 2001) until the time that he left office (January 2009), the national debt rose from 53% of GDP to 74%, or an average of 2.7 percentage points per year.

* During eight years in office, President Bush vetoed 12 bills, four of which were overridden by Congress and thus enacted without his approval. These bills were projected by the Congressional Budget Office to increase the deficit by $26 billion during 2008-2022"

The debt to GDP ratio went from 74% in 2009 to 103% at present. That is an average of 4.8 % per year.

What do you say we keep this conversation intellectually honest? Do I really have to remind you that the House of Representatives has been under Republican control from 1997 to 2009 and again from 2012 to 2016. That's sixteen years of spending control and while historically, Democrats have been the big spenders, we can hardly put the blame solely on Obama when spending bills originate in the House.

Now, all that said, the biggest share of blame should go to tax cuts which kept the government from paying down the debt and prevented income from generating and spending on social programs, without sufficient income to sponsor them has been our burden . If we learned anything, it was tax cuts do not create jobs and some social programs like Medicare and Social Security Disability need to be reformed. It takes three to tango when it comes to the national debt the President, the Senate and the House and that should be our focus going forward.

Maybe a better question to ask is this:

What was George W. Bush's biggest fiasco?

A. Was it the debacle that was/is Iraq in his hunt for nonexistent WMDs?

B. Was it his botched federal response to a natural disaster that everyone saw coming on TV. I mean, it's NOT like it was an earthquake that came as a complete surprise.

C. Was it the financial meltdown which was the biggest disruption of the economic lives of Americans (not to mention the rest of the world) since the Great Depression?

My vote goes for A. since many thousands of American soldiers and marines lost their lives, 10s of thousands of Americans were wounded and maimed, and over hundred thousand Iraqis have been killed.

And let's not forget that W was the conservatives' hero, and champion, and the one who was going to put American on the right track again. Of course, NOW, conservatives say this: George W. Bush? Well he wasn't REALLY a conservative. That reminds me of the old tagline from Mission Impossible when the voice on the tape said the following:

"As always should any member of your IMF force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow all knowledge of your actions." Conservatives are now disavowing Bush's conservatism.

The bottom line is that we do NOT need any more conservative leadership in this country, period!
I'm still pissed that he engaged in torture

Carter was presdient for 4 years. He signed many pieces of legislation and made many orders. What is he remembered for today? I can think of the Iran hostage crisis, Desert One, the malaise speech, and mandatory draft registration (I was in the first year of those who had to register). Other than that, not much.

Bonus: What will Obama be remembered for?

Seriously?

Camp David Peace Accords.

Notice that there hasn't been war between Egypt and Israel since then?

Certainly not perfect- but probably the only successful Middle Eastern peace negotiation made since the end of WW2.
130729140854-06-middle-east-peace-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

It was his finest hour

Complete fucking bullshit. You live in a fucking Marvel Comic book.
The hostages were released under the terms of a treaty worked out over a couple of months It's a real document with signatures on it. And none of those signatures is Reagan's or any of his people. Warren Christopher got it done. It would have happened on the 19th if the airport was operational at night.

Countries in the real world (qv) don't just up and take actions because they "like" or "don't like" who got elected six thousand miles away. The world hasn't worked that way since the week after the wheel was invented. You're a fucking retard.

Giveaway of the Panama Canal.

"Giveaway" huh?
Diga me Tonto -- where did we "get" Panama?
For that matter where did Panama come from?

Last edited:

It was his finest hour

Complete fucking bullshit. You live in a fucking Marvel Comic book.
The hostages were released under the terms of a treaty worked out over a couple of months It's a real document with signatures on it. And none of those signatures is Reagan's or any of his people. Warren Christopher got it done. It would have happened on the 19th if the airport was operational at night.

Countries in the real world (qv) don't just up and take actions because they "like" or "don't like" who got elected six thousand miles away. The world hasn't worked that way since the week after the wheel was invented. You're a fucking retard.

I don't believe they are Marvel but they are out there

S52_th.gif

Forum List

Back