What Was Jimmy Carter's Greatest Achievement?

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
Carter was presdient for 4 years. He signed many pieces of legislation and made many orders. What is he remembered for today? I can think of the Iran hostage crisis, Desert One, the malaise speech, and mandatory draft registration (I was in the first year of those who had to register). Other than that, not much.

Bonus: What will Obama be remembered for?

Carter was presdient for 4 years. He signed many pieces of legislation and made many orders. What is he remembered for today? I can think of the Iran hostage crisis, Desert One, the malaise speech, and mandatory draft registration (I was in the first year of those who had to register). Other than that, not much.

This is easy….he held the office until Ronald Reagan could win it. Then Reagan fixed the mess ups and put us back on top.

For Carter, I can't decide between abandoning Taiwan and giving away the Panama Canal.

For Obama, I can't decide between abandoning Iraq and giving Iran nuclear weapons.

For the most embarrassing First Lady.

1st-ladies.jpg

Last edited:
1. Energy. The country had no comprehensive energy plan. There was no coherent way to reduce foreign imports (costing the United States $45 billion annually), shift to more abundant energy sources, conserve energy use, or provide fair incentives to encourage domestic energy production. The President proposed a National Energy Plan designed to achieve these goals by:
• reducing the growth rate in energy consumption to 2 percent per year;
• reducing gasoline consumption by 10 percent;
• cutting imports of foreign oil to less than 6 million barrels a day, about half the amount that would otherwise be imported;
• establishing a strategic petroleum reserve supply of at least 1 billion barrels, which could meet all domestic needs for 10 months;
• increasing coal production by more than two-thirds, to over 1 billion tons a year;
• insulating 90 percent of American homes and all new buildings;
• using solar energy in more than 2 1/2 million homes.
The National Energy Plan was the President's most important domestic priority during the year. A House-Senate conference committee is now considering the plan, with final congressional passage expected early next year.
• tax reduction of $4.9 billion for the working poor, through an increase in the Earned Income Tax Credit;
• fiscal relief to the States and local governments of $2.1 billion;
3. Social Security. The social security system was in serious danger of having its major trust funds depleted in 1979 (disability fund) and in 1983 (old age and survivors fund). The system was projected to have an estimated deficit of 8.2 percent of taxable payroll over the next 75 years. Since 1975, expenditures by social security have exceeded income, and unless changes were made in the way the system is financed, that trend would continue and worsen.
1. Accessibility by the President. The President made himself more accessible to the American people than any President in modern history and set a tone for the rest of his administration by the following:
• holding a regular news conference every 2 weeks;
• meeting regularly for interviews with non-Washington editors;
• holding town hall meetings in Clinton, Mass., and Yazoo City, Miss.
• visiting each Cabinet department and answering questions from its employees;
• holding a radio call-in show at the White House and a television call-in show in Los Angeles;
• providing complete financial disclosure of his income and assets;
• making three trips to different parts of the country, stayed in the homes of citizens and met with a broad range of citizens and officials;
• holding public policy conferences on energy, water policy, and the problems of the poor.
3. Ethics Legislation. The President proposed ethics legislation requiring public financial disclosure by all public officials, strengthening restrictions on post-Government service activities of Federal officials, and establishing an Office of Ethics in the Civil Service Commission. It has passed the Senate and is making good progress in the House.
Need I do on.

Carter was among the top five worst presidents.

One positive achievement he made was the largest military pay raise in history.

Stagflation. Amnesty for draft dodgers. Long gas lines. Three Mile Island. Invasion of Afghanistan.

Carter had no positive achievements and neither does Obama but our enemies had many under these two bastards.

The obama may well end up remembered for giving away the internet like carter gave away the Panama Canal- only worse.

Forum List

Back