What the election showed

1. Democrats did a great organizational job to take a severely Gerrymandered House
2. Trump did a great job in organizing his base to increase the number of Senate seats
3. Republicans did what is necessary to win close contests
4. Republicans held their stronghold in the South but Dems showed that formerly solid Red states like Georgia, Texas and Arizona are up for grabs
5. For 2020, Florida and Ohio still showed they are leaning red but Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin drifted back to blue

I agree with the exception of #1. The Dems are party to the Gerrymandering and use it for their own advantage - so red herring.

No Blue Wave
No Red Wave

We are back to a rather typical split government, in name if not spirit. The best possible outcome is that the saner folks among the House Dems will lead them to actual civil bipartisanship instead of a two year production of Show Trials.

The Democrats needed to draw seven percent more votes to retake the House

In a non-Gerrymandered contest, they only need 51 percent

What the election showed last night is that Trump's election was no fluke. That Trump's base is strong and cohesive. That the white working class is still in his corner and that Trump will be a formidable candidate in 2020.

Furthermore, it also showed that pollsters continue to under estimate Trump's support. Conservatives are right on that point. Take the polls for what they are worth. Not much.

That is true
Trump called his base and they came out for him
Saved Florida, Georgia, Arizona and Texas for his party

But those states showed major cracks in the solid Republican south
And by 2020 they might get smarter

You fall for the classic mistake of assuming no political shift in these groups, and as usual assuming they are all a monolithic block.

Exactly. Before the 1960's, the immigrant communities from Europe were overwhelmingly liberal Democrat- and many ended up switching.

Ditto, with the Poor Whites of Appalachia and the South- traditionally liberal Democrats they too switched. Bill Freaking Clinton and even the hapless Mike Dukakis won West Virginia easily.

Thinking that hispanics and black are forever the property of the Democrat Party is a mistake

They will have long memories of the GOP abuse and disrespect of the Hispanic population

Your premise somehow assumes Republicans will stop pandering to the racist element of their party

What the election showed last night is that Trump's election was no fluke. That Trump's base is strong and cohesive. That the white working class is still in his corner and that Trump will be a formidable candidate in 2020.

Furthermore, it also showed that pollsters continue to under estimate Trump's support. Conservatives are right on that point. Take the polls for what they are worth. Not much.

That is true

Texas yes. Not so much in the other three, imo.
Cruz is an anomaly

He is universally hated. Voters held their noses because he is Republican

7. Obamacare is now safe

No, it will die. The tax penalty goes away in a few weeks.

And jeopardize coverage for pre-existing conditions that Republicans have to fix

A collapse in healthcare will bring down Republicans in 2020

No, that will save americans hundreds of billions.
And throw tens of millions to the wolves

You may be dying, but we are saving money

Good campaign slogan

That is true

Texas yes. Not so much in the other three, imo.
Cruz is an anomaly

He is universally hated. Voters held their noses because he is Republican
Yes, but Beto seemed to out of his way to not attract any gop votes. I just don't see Az,GA or Fl becoming more progressive. The opposite actually, imo. Tex ....maybe.

The dems path for 20 remains Mich Wisc and PA, while keeping the other states Hill managed to not lose. And I don't see Kamilla Harris or Booker expanding the map. And I don't see any dem potus candidates coming from Tex, GA or Fl. And I don't think the party will nominate a white man like Landrieu

7. Obamacare is now safe

And jeopardize coverage for pre-existing conditions that Republicans have to fix

Good campaign slogan
I'm not sure preexisting conditions is a game changer issues in Jesusland, Tex, and Fla.

7. Obamacare is now safe

A collapse in healthcare will kill the Democrats. They have control of the House of Representatives are responsible for crafting legislation that is both passable in the Senate, and signable by the President. If they neglect their duty, that's the only way healthcare will collapse.

7. Obamacare is now safe

A collapse in healthcare will kill the Democrats. They have control of the House of Representatives are responsible for crafting legislation that is both passable in the Senate, and signable by the President. If they neglect their duty, that's the only way healthcare will collapse.

Of course they won't have time to save their dying albatross, they'll have too many investigations into nothing going on.

7. Obamacare is now safe

Good campaign slogan

Giving back billions of taxes to americans so they can take care of themselves. I know. Thats horrible.

you people lack perspective which is why you all seem to think every election is historic or unprecedented

The sitting president's party loses the house in midterms 92% of the time so really this election ain't so fucking special
But you're STILL butt hurt. :biggrin:
No not really

I didn't vote because unlike you I realize that it doesn't matter who is in office

I just like to laugh at all you emotional idiots getting all worked up over something that happens 92% of the time
“No not really” means yes. :biggrin:

you people lack perspective which is why you all seem to think every election is historic or unprecedented

The sitting president's party loses the house in midterms 92% of the time so really this election ain't so fucking special
But you're STILL butt hurt. :biggrin:
No not really

I didn't vote because unlike you I realize that it doesn't matter who is in office

I just like to laugh at all you emotional idiots getting all worked up over something that happens 92% of the time
“No not really” means yes. :biggrin:
No it means no not really

I actually don't give a flying or any other kind of fuck about who gets elected

7. Obamacare is now safe

Good campaign slogan

Giving back billions of taxes to americans so they can take care of themselves. I know. Thats horrible.

Why stop there? Everyone should finance their own armed forces, rather than depend on the government to provide that....

Good campaign slogan

Why stop there? Everyone should finance their own armed forces, rather than depend on the government to provide that....

You do understand this? We pay taxes for our national defense.

"8 begins the enumerated powers of the federal government delegated to Congress. The first is the power to tax and to spend the money raised by taxes, to provide for the nation's defense and general welfare."

7. Obamacare is now safe

Good campaign slogan
I'm not sure preexisting conditions is a game changer issues in Jesusland, Tex, and Fla.
Jesusland needs Obamacare more than other states

7. Obamacare is now safe

Yeah that's certainly been what we saw. LOL

7. Obamacare is now safe

Good campaign slogan

You guys still don’t get it

You borrowed a trillion dollars to distribute to billionaires

Good campaign slogan

You guys still don’t get it

You borrowed a trillion dollars to distribute to billionaires

O stimulus: trillions to billionaires. Obamacare: billions wasted. O even voted to bailout wall street during the crash. Please.

Forum List

Back