“What Republican can win 270 electoral votes in 2016?”

We in the GOP will change by reaching out to women, Hispanics and other minorities, and put away the social traditionalist agenda.

Simply this: there are far more votes to court successfully than what we lose with pissy older white far right conservatives.

Get over it, guys: it is happening now, and you will love Christie, regardless of what you think now.

The republican party won't find itself emblazoned upon my voter registration card until they publicly acknowledge that George Bush Sr was right when he said that Trickle-down Economics is Voodoo Economics, and change their fucking message.

Until that happens, it matters not whose name is on the ballot or what demographics are solicited, more than half of us know it's a scam.

The next presidential election will be all about the democrats. How much is obama despised? How much the publuc wants to punish the democrats for it?

There are three more years for obama to fuck up. Another one or two major ones like Syria and nothing will be able to save them. What are the odds that obama will get through the next three years smoothly?

That is what you ran on in 2012. Didn't work then won't work in 2016
In 2012 obama could still claim he was ending wars. The media was entirely in his lap. The media is starting to break ranks and no one knows what is going to happen in the middle east in three years.

In 2012 no one knew how bad obamacare would really be.

See how the mid terms go. See if obama gets pantsed.

God I love this

Republicans trying the same "Obama fail" strategy that nobody outside of FoxNation believed

Today? Almost anyone. After three more years of obama world class fuck ups? Any republican would.

The democrat brand is just starting its disintegration. Give it awhile.

Saved the auto industry.

Took out Bin Laden

Brought us back from the GOP recession.

Got millions more Americans health care.

Moved Student loans away from the banks

Moved us out of two wars.

Equal pay for women.

I think we need more "fuck ups" like that.

That is what you ran on in 2012. Didn't work then won't work in 2016
In 2012 obama could still claim he was ending wars. The media was entirely in his lap. The media is starting to break ranks and no one knows what is going to happen in the middle east in three years.

God I love this

Republicans trying the same "Obama fail" strategy that nobody outside of FoxNation believed

I have to tell you something. A friend of mine who moved to Arizona about 8 years ago was visiting. Him and his wife left just today to go back. He was saying so many of the right wing talking points I see all the time on the USMB I finally asked him, "What do you watch in Arizona? Fox news?" And he said, Fox is the most popular station in Arizona. Everyone watches it.

This is hilarious. I asked him if he ever uses Google and he said he uses it when he wants to prove to his wife that she is wrong about something, but when he's wrong, he doesn't tell her.

My friend and his wife are in an interracial marriage with him being black. I showed him Fox suing for the right to lie. The study that said people who watch Fox know less than people who don't watch news. I showed him a bunch of their lies. Including these famous pictures:

DF_0937-Fox-alters-photos-of-critics-2.jpg

DF_0936-Fox-alters-photos-of-critics.jpg

Questioning the integrity of scientists.

35f2c931e2f2b784d34a45c7626c87e6.gif

Fox showed the picture on the top instead of the picture on the bottom:

chris_lanes_murderers.jpg

SuspectsOklaShooting.jpg

My friend says he has a few people to educate when he gets back to Arizona. I told him to be careful. He said only the week before coming up here, him and his wife were chased from an RV showroom. He said the overt hostility made them leave even though no one actually said anything threatening.

I'm thinking America will be ready for a serious, prudent and forthright President, a leader.

Gov. Jed Bush, Senator John Thune, Gov. Bob McDonnell are interesting.

The Republican Party has a wealth of talent. The Rino upper crust chooses ... unwisely.

On what planet would running another Bush as a presidential candidate a good idea?

God I love this

I have to tell you something. A friend of mine who moved to Arizona about 8 years ago was visiting. Him and his wife left just today to go back. He was saying so many of the right wing talking points I see all the time on the USMB I finally asked him, "What do you watch in Arizona? Fox news?" And he said, Fox is the most popular station in Arizona. Everyone watches it.

This is hilarious. I asked him if he ever uses Google and he said he uses it when he wants to prove to his wife that she is wrong about something, but when he's wrong, he doesn't tell her.

My friend and his wife are in an interracial marriage with him being black. I showed him Fox suing for the right to lie. The study that said people who watch Fox know less than people who don't watch news. I showed him a bunch of their lies. Including these famous pictures:

DF_0937-Fox-alters-photos-of-critics-2.jpg

DF_0936-Fox-alters-photos-of-critics.jpg

Questioning the integrity of scientists.

35f2c931e2f2b784d34a45c7626c87e6.gif

Fox showed the picture on the top instead of the picture on the bottom:

chris_lanes_murderers.jpg

SuspectsOklaShooting.jpg

My friend says he has a few people to educate when he gets back to Arizona. I told him to be careful. He said only the week before coming up here, him and his wife were chased from an RV showroom. He said the overt hostility made them leave even though no one actually said anything threatening.

I am a black guy who lives in Arizona and I know what your friend is talking about. Go to a gun shop here. Same situation as he had in the RV place. Same crap.

This is an old white hard right leaning state. It really is. This is why Ol Sheriff Joe keeps getting re elected, time and time again.

Today? Almost anyone. After three more years of obama world class fuck ups? Any republican would.

Saved the auto industry.

Took out Bin Laden

Brought us back from the GOP recession.

Got millions more Americans health care.

Moved Student loans away from the banks

Moved us out of two wars.

Equal pay for women.

I think we need more "fuck ups" like that.

bush was better. He got Bin laden right? He went after him right after 9/11. Right?

Can a Republican Win 270 Electoral Votes in 2016...or Ever? - The Daily Beast

Conservative Republicans uphold their conservative principles as a shiny badge of honor never to be tarnished. I, too, am a conservative Republican. However, I think like Ronald Reagan, who when trying to get legislation passed in 1983 said the following:

“I have always figured that a half a loaf is better than none, and I know that in the democratic process you’re not going to always get everything you want.”

Sadly, I also agree with former senator and 1996 GOP presidential nominee Bob Dole, who appeared this past May on Fox News Sunday to discuss the growing conservative tilt among Republican primary and base voters when he stated that “Reagan wouldn't have made it” in today’s Republican Party.

That might actually be true, for at my conservative event, as I listened to speeches from a host of elected leaders, only one mentioned the “C word”: compromise. Instead of “compromise,” all I heard was “we must battle and fight to uphold the principles of conservatism.”

Now, I also believe in fighting for conservative principles, but realizing that conservatives are an ever shrinking minority within the electorate, it is imperative that Republicans nominate a presidential candidate (and other leaders) who can attract moderate voters by stating that he or she, like Reagan, are willing to accept a “half loaf instead of a whole” in order to solve the difficult issues facing our nation.

Otherwise, the GOP will remain locked out of the White House and leave our nation stuck in neutral with a gridlocked government. There is danger ahead for conservatives when core conservative principles are used as roadblocks to any progress.

This is an excellent article. There are some hard home-truths that need to be faced and dealt with before Republicans can even think about taking back the White House. I am hoping that since there is a veritable shit-ton of Republicans who want their party back, they will find a way to make it happen. Because this "I'm more conservative!" "No, I'M more conservative!" game is doing nothing to win moderates, and you need the moderates. You cannot win without them.

I disagree.

In our system and our electorate; a great many voters vote against the opposite party's candidate as much as they vote for theirs.

Getting to 270 is not that hard in a two person track meet; you only have to run faster than one other gal/guy.

You put an R next to Fred Flintstone's name, he gets 35% of the vote on the strength of that alone. You put a D next to Barney's name, he gets 35% from the other side.

What Republican can actually beat a Democrat? Several. Jeb Bush comes to mind. Chris Christie is another.

You didn't read the article, did you.

If you want to explore this new reality, check out 270towin.com. There you can play around with the interactive map and plot out your favorite candidate’s path to 270.

For instance, let’s look at Wisconsin, with its 10 electoral votes. Every four years the Republican mindset says Wisconsin will be a swing state. Then, a few months into the campaign the state loses it’s coveted “battleground” status as polls begin to show its “blue” reality. The truth is that not since 1984, when Reagan won in a landslide against Walter Mondale, has Wisconsin seen red.

Or take Pennsylvania, with 20 electoral votes, and New York, with 29—both have been blue since Bill Clinton won them in 1992, and blue they will remain.

Then there’s the mega-rich electoral state of California with its 55 votes that turned red for the last time in 1988 when George H.W. Bush won that “California guy” Reagan’s “third term.”

After totaling the electoral votes in all the terminally blue states, an inconvenient math emerges, providing even a below average Democrat presidential candidate a potential starting advantage of 246. Here are the states and their votes:

CA (55), NY (29), PA (20), IL (20), MI (16), NJ (14), WA (12), MA (11), MN (10), WI (10), MD (10), CT (7), OR (7), HI (4), ME (4), NH (4), RT (4), VT (3), DE (3), DC (3).

Let me repeat, if only for the shock value: 246 votes out of 270 is 91 percent. That means the Democrat candidate needs to win only 24 more votes out of the remaining 292. (There are a total of 538 electoral votes.)

So tell me: What is the 270 path that you've found, keeping in mind that we're already 91% of the way there as Democrats.

Last edited:
It's interesting that as the middle class shrinks because of liberal policies and legislation, the country is being swallowed by debt, the U. S. standing in the world diminishes, more Americans are being made slaves to government entitlements and American morality fades to black...that dimwitted Democrats believe winning elections is all that truly matters.

If what you said were true...I'd be voting Republican.

......not because of liberl policies and legislation.....

.......we are not being swallowed by debt.....

......our standing in the world is better now than 5 years ago......

.........nobody is being made a slave to entitlements.....

........American morality is just fine......

.....Democrats are no more interested in winning elections than Republicans.....

Nope. Nothing you said was true. Way to go!

Reality alludes You...enjoy...:lol:

Reality doesn't have a voice - but it apparently eludes you. Enjoy. ;)

Interestingly, for the rightwing jabbering, not one of them could name a Republican that has any chance of winning.

And I can make this thread even more interesting.

Name and produce ten pieces of legislature that was introduced and backed by Republicans where the American people would benefit by the passing thereof, with no included effort to benefit corporations, over the past five years.

I'm thinking America will be ready for a serious, prudent and forthright President, a leader.

The Republican Party has a wealth of talent. The Rino upper crust chooses ... unwisely.

Oh, I'm sorry. Well - two out of three ain't bad.

Gov. Robert McDonnell shouldn?t stick Va. taxpayers with his legal bills in gifts case - Washington Post

It wasn’t enough for Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell to embarrass the state, weaken the Republican Party and cripple his political career by accepting largesse from businessman Jonnie Williams Sr.

Now, he and Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli have managed to stick state taxpayers with part of the legal bills for trying to fix the problem.

The state is picking up the tab for tens of thousands of dollars in private lawyers’ fees for helping the governor and his staff deal with the controversy over suspicious gifts and payments from Williams to McDonnell and his family.

The public shouldn’t let them get away with it. We should demand that the governor’s private defense fund pay for all the legal work related to McDonnell’s involvement in the gifts case.

The official explanation for making the state pay is that the gifts scandal is inseparable from what should have been a routine case over whether the governor’s former chef, Todd Schneider, pilfered food and toiletries from the mansion.

We in the GOP will change by reaching out to women, Hispanics and other minorities, and put away the social traditionalist agenda.

Simply this: there are far more votes to court successfully than what we lose with pissy older white far right conservatives.

Get over it, guys: it is happening now, and you will love Christie, regardless of what you think now.

It’s not so much a matter of ‘reaching out,’ but one of just stopping the ignorance and hate.

Once republicans stop opposing the equal protection rights of same-sex couples to marry, opposing a woman’s right to privacy with regard to contraception, and opposing the due process rights of immigrants, those voters will consider voting for republicans again.

[
If you voted for Reagan, then Obama, you obviously don't know wtf you're talking about.

No, the real problem is, Ronald Reagan wouldn't be welcomed in today's Republican Party.

The REAL Ronald Reagan-

Appointed moderates to 2 of his 3 SCOTUS nominations.
Gave amnesty to 3 million illegal aliens.
Raised taxes after cutting them. (Hense, why Bush gave his "Read my lips" pledge.)
Expanded government
Failed to disband any of the agencies he promised to disband.

In short, the Real Ronald Reagan would be the RINO Ronald Reagan.

So you whacks make up a mythical Ronald Reagan. The one who won the Cold War. (Although that didn't end until Bush-41).
He appointed S.C. justices based on qualifications, not litmus tests like Democrats do. He followed the Constitution, something you wouldn't understand.

Gave amnesty, yes, with an agreement to strengthen the borders, which Democrats have undermined ever since.

Reluctantly agreed to let Congress raise taxes on alcohol and tobacco (sin taxes), not income as part of a deal to cut spending 2 to 1. The Democrats raised the taxes, then refused to honor their commitment to cut spending (like they always do). Reagan's biggest mistake as President was believing Democrats were honorable people and would keep their word about anything.

You're right about government expanding under Reagan (as it has with ALL presidents).

It was Reagan's policies that brought down the Soviet Empire, even Bush 41 acknowledges that. As I said, you don't know wtf you're talking about.

6 Shocking Ways Conservatives Helped Cause the Economic Destruction of America | Alternet

Ronald Reagan's Legacy | Op-Eds & Columns

His death has unleashed a torrent of commentary on the significance of this revolution, and so it is important to set the record straight. His economic policies were mostly a failure. Partly this was because he had promised something arithmetically impossible: to increase military spending, cut taxes, and balance the budget. He kept the first two promises, delivering the largest peacetime military build-up in American history, and cutting taxes massively, mostly for upper-income households.

But budget deficits soared to record heights. The national debt doubled, as a percentage of the economy, before Mr. Reagan's successors were able to bring it under control. This "military Keynesianism" did pull the economy out of the 1982 recession, but the 1980s still chalked up the slowest growth of any decade in the post-World War II era. And income was redistributed to the wealthy as never before: during the 1980s, most of the country's income gains went to the top 1 or 2 percent of households.

Mr. Reagan also helped redistribute American income and wealth with a bold assault on American labor. In 1981 he summarily fired 12,000 air traffic controllers who went on strike for better working conditions. This ushered in a new and dark era of labor relations, with employers now free to "permanently replace" striking workers. The median real wage failed to grow during the decade of the 1980s.

The Reagan revolution caused even more economic damage internationally, for example by changing policy at the International Monetary Fund and World Bank. Thus began the era of "structural adjustment" -- a set of economic policies that has become so discredited worldwide that the IMF and World Bank no longer use the term. The 1980s became "the lost decade" for Latin America, the region most affected by Washington's foreign economic policy. Income per person actually shrank for the decade, a rare historical event, and the region has yet to come close to its pre-1980s growth rates.

It’s not so much a matter of ‘reaching out,’ but one of just stopping the ignorance and hate.

Once republicans stop opposing the equal protection rights of same-sex couples to marry, opposing a woman’s right to privacy with regard to contraception, and opposing the due process rights of immigrants, those voters will consider voting for republicans again.

"Consider," yes. Much, much damage has been done, and nobody with a brain in their head is going to vote for a return to the 1950's (and probably earlier).

On what planet would running another Bush as a presidential candidate a good idea?

After Obama, even a fat, ugly, skank, like Hillary looks good to Democrats..:lol:

Obama has successfully made Bush look golden in comparison.

Obama's an embarrassment to all Americans.

Last edited:

You didn't read the article, did you.

If you want to explore this new reality, check out 270towin.com. There you can play around with the interactive map and plot out your favorite candidate’s path to 270.

For instance, let’s look at Wisconsin, with its 10 electoral votes. Every four years the Republican mindset says Wisconsin will be a swing state. Then, a few months into the campaign the state loses it’s coveted “battleground” status as polls begin to show its “blue” reality. The truth is that not since 1984, when Reagan won in a landslide against Walter Mondale, has Wisconsin seen red.

Or take Pennsylvania, with 20 electoral votes, and New York, with 29—both have been blue since Bill Clinton won them in 1992, and blue they will remain.

Then there’s the mega-rich electoral state of California with its 55 votes that turned red for the last time in 1988 when George H.W. Bush won that “California guy” Reagan’s “third term.”

After totaling the electoral votes in all the terminally blue states, an inconvenient math emerges, providing even a below average Democrat presidential candidate a potential starting advantage of 246. Here are the states and their votes:

CA (55), NY (29), PA (20), IL (20), MI (16), NJ (14), WA (12), MA (11), MN (10), WI (10), MD (10), CT (7), OR (7), HI (4), ME (4), NH (4), RT (4), VT (3), DE (3), DC (3).

Let me repeat, if only for the shock value: 246 votes out of 270 is 91 percent. That means the Democrat candidate needs to win only 24 more votes out of the remaining 292. (There are a total of 538 electoral votes.)

So tell me: What is the 270 path that you've found, keeping in mind that we're already 91% of the way there as Democrats.

No question, you'll need to break the firewall in the upper midwest to win if you are in the GOP. PA, WI, MI all have GOP governors so its possible. The real difficulty for the GOP is going to be running a candidate in the General that has to sound crazy enough to win the GOP ghettos in the south during the primary while still appealing to the much less insane midwest conservatives. Not an easy thing to do.

Good idea? Maybe not but if Bush really is up to running, hes a formidable opponent. The nation could do much worse than Jeb Bush.

Forum List

Back