What old movies are you watching.

Just watched Key Largo on Laser Disc.
Was it the colorized version? I saw a colorized version that wasn't good at all.
Laserdisc predates colorizing. The early colorized movies suck. They still haven't fixed Miracle on 34th Street.

What about the Wizard of Oz? I like it in color. Some of the movies, I actually prefer in black and white though. It sets a certain atmosphere for some movies, you know? :)
All of OZ was in Technicolor except for the opening and closing credits and the Kansas seances which were in sepia. I've always thought the sepia was nice. It gives a touch of un-realism which fits nicely into the tornado and then the bursting of color in the opening scenes of OZ. This movie did a lot to sell Technicolor to MGM.

I agree. The color really added to, rather than took away from that movie. That is the kind of movie that is probably best in color with the Emerald City and the Yellow Brick Road and such things. :wink_2:

Just watched Key Largo on Laser Disc.
Was it the colorized version? I saw a colorized version that wasn't good at all.
Laserdisc predates colorizing. The early colorized movies suck. They still haven't fixed Miracle on 34th Street.

What about the Wizard of Oz? I like it in color. Some of the movies, I actually prefer in black and white though. It sets a certain atmosphere for some movies, you know? :)

The Wizard was filmed in black and white and then colored with what they call a sepia tone process until she landed in OZ. From there on, it was in Technicolor. Technicolor was still fairly new at that time, and is part of what made Oz so vivid compared to the scenes in Kansas.

I really like the color parts. The colors are so vivid and beautiful in that movie. I don't think I've ever seen that one in just black and white. If I have, I was too young to remember.

I saw it in black and white for years. We did not get a color TV until the 70s

The Wizard was filmed in black and white and then colored with what they call a sepia tone process until she landed in OZ. From there on, it was in Technicolor. Technicolor was still fairly new at that time, and is part of what made Oz so vivid compared to the scenes in Kansas.

I really like the color parts. The colors are so vivid and beautiful in that movie. I don't think I've ever seen that one in just black and white. If I have, I was too young to remember.

I was born in the 70s, so we had color TV when I was small. Did you enjoy the movie more once you saw it in color?

I was born in the 70s, so we had color TV when I was small. Did you enjoy the movie more once you saw it in color?

I was amazed

I was amazed

Lol. It must have been amazing for you, as a child, to see your favorite television shows/movies in color for the first time. :)

I still think some movies are better as black and whites though because it seems to set a certain atmosphere in some movies, and color isn't really necessary to relay the story.

I was amazed

Lol. It must have been amazing for you, as a child, to see your favorite television shows/movies in color for the first time. :)

I still think some movies are better as black and whites though because it seems to set a certain atmosphere in some movies, and color isn't really necessary to relay the story.

My wife and I are addicted to Turner Classic Movies

There are probably 50 movies I would be appalled to see colorized.

On a side note we always laugh at the amount of smoking in those movies. They will stop a scene midway through so the actors can light up. Also, many scenes are obscured in smoke

Last edited:

I was amazed

My wife and I are addicted to Turner Classic Movies

There are probably 50 movies I would be appalled to see colorized.

On a side not we always laugh at the amount of smoking in those movies. They will stop a scene midway through so the actors can light up. Also, many scenes are obscured in smoke

Yes, there was a lot of smoking going on in some of those old movies! I think Clint Eastwood chewed tobacco in all of his spaghetti westerns. The guy was forever spitting! :lol: I really love those movies though.

I was amazed

Funny how in the early 60s the only shows in color were Bonanza and Walt Disneys Wonderful World of Color. Look people...we got a show in COLOR!

By 1965 all the shows were filming in color. Andy Griffith, Bewitched, Gilligans Island, Lost in Space, F-Troop....they even started filming The Munsters in color

When you go back and watch these shows it always seems the episodes in black and white were better

The first time I saw it was about 2 weeks after we got our first color TV. The entire family literally said Awwwww when she landed in OZ. We had never seen anything that vivid on TV. It was amazing.

"The Wizard of Oz' 1939 - have a very soft spot for this movie and I think it's adorable till this day
thats one of several classics they are going to be playing at my local theater in the coming weeks.will be cool to see it on the big screen.

they play the classics there a month later after showing the ones that have scheduled.next one the following week is Giant I believe with James Dean and Rock Hudson.that will fun to watch.

A Night at the Opera (1935)

en.wikipedia.org

upload_2015-1-6_20-23-43.png

·
1hr 36min · Comedy
IMDb 8.1/10
Rotten Tomatoes 97%
  • Mayhem ensues when the Marx brothers enter the world of opera. Otis B. Driftwood is helping Mrs. Claypool enter society and gets her to make a major donation the an opera company. Opera company Managing Director Mr. Gottlieb signs a leading …
    en.wikipedia.org

The first time I saw it was about 2 weeks after we got our first color TV. The entire family literally said Awwwww when she landed in OZ. We had never seen anything that vivid on TV. It was amazing.

I know! That's so cool when she goes outside and everything is SO colorful. :) I love that movie. I'm going to have to watch it soon. Lol!

If they had filmed the tornado sequence in color with the tech at the time it would have looked fake. Same goes for The Twilight Zone. That show being in black and white was the main reason it was so good.

Speaking of tech. Why has no one talked about how the new stuff looks like crap compared to the older stuff? Besides the whole widescreen BS, people have gotten so wrapped up in computer CGI they forget about the old simple techniques. For any of you who don't understand the evolution of cinema watch this:

Pay attention to the part about Vistavision. That is the reason movies like White Christmas and Vertigo still look flawless after 60 years.

And if any of you I love black bars generation whine folks think you have a clue. Go see the upcoming Taratino film Hateful Eight. It is being filmed with actual 70MM cameras not shitty digital and will have the look of films like Ben Hur, South Pacific and The Sound Of music.

This scene just goes to show the visionary power and mastery of the craft of Alfred Hitchcock. Check out the link below that shows the continuity and camera setups for this scene. There are over 60 shots on location and the studio that make up this one scene.

Sequencing the North by NorthWest Crop Dusting Scene The Big Picture

I was amazed

Funny how in the early 60s the only shows in color were Bonanza and Walt Disneys Wonderful World of Color. Look people...we got a show in COLOR!

By 1965 all the shows were filming in color. Andy Griffith, Bewitched, Gilligans Island, Lost in Space, F-Troop....they even started filming The Munsters in color

When you go back and watch these shows it always seems the episodes in black and white were better
I've only seen a few TV shows I thought b&w made for a better show.

In my opinion, you really have to know how to use light, shadows, and camera angle to set the mood for scenes to take advantage of b&W. I think these movies had wonderful b&w cinematography; Charles Laughton's "Night of the Hunter", Spielburg's "Schindler's List", Hitchcock's "Spellbind", Carol Reed's "The Third Man".

For TV, there only a few I can remember that really had great b&w photography; "The Naked City", "Route 66", and the "The Fugitive".

There aren't many comedies over 50 years old that I really enjoy today. However, I think David Lean's "Hobson's Choice" is as fresh and funny today as it was in 1954. Willie Mossop (John Mills) is a gifted but unappreciated bootmaker employed by the tyrannical Henry Horatio Hobson (Charles Laughton) in his moderately upscale shop in 1880s Salford in Lancashire. Hard-drinking widower Hobson has three daughters. Maggie (Brenda De Banzie) and her younger sisters Alice (Daphne Anderson) and Vicky (Prunella Scales) have worked in their father's establishment without wages and are eager to be married and free of the shop. What follows is the very funny feel good story.

Boys Town (1938)

en.wikipedia.org

View attachment 35582
·
1hr 36min · Drama
IMDb 7.3/10
Rotten Tomatoes 89%
  • Boys Town is a 1938 biographical drama film based on Father Edward J. Flanagan's work with a group of underprivileged and delinquent boys in a home that he founded and named "Boys Town". It stars Spencer Tracy as Father Edward J. Flanagan, …
    en.wikipedia.org

I prefer another 1938 film called Angels with Dirty Faces, starring James Cagny. It has a similar plot, but is more morally ambiguous. Bogart is the pure bad guy. Cagney is a criminal with good in him. The priest (Pat O'Brien) is the good guy who can't save Cagney. The Dead End Kids are cooler than the kids in Boys Town, which is more of a moralistic tale with a happy ending if I remember correctly. I could be wrong about that.

The sets of Angels with Dirty Faces are excellent portrayals of the hood, with laundry hanging in the streets and no privacy anywhere.

I was amazed

Wrong they began color primarily in 1966. That is when the changeover was scheduled. And not wanting to switch over is the reason many shows decided to end their runs after the 65/66 season. Perry Mason is a prime example where the producers tested the waters by filming the one and only episode Twice-Told Twist in color which aired in February 66. They decided against going to color and ended the show. The timing of the changeover is also the reason the pilots of shows like Wild Wild West, I Dream of Jeanie, Get Smart and Hogan's Heroes were in black and white but the rest of the series were in color.

As far a Disney goes he was an innovator. He knew color was the future. He was filming shows like Davy Crockett in color back in 1955 knowing that someday everyone would be watching it in color.

I was amazed

Wrong they began color primarily in 1966. That is when the changeover was scheduled. And not wanting to switch over is the reason many shows decided to end their runs after the 65/66 season. Perry Mason is a prime example where the producers tested the waters by filming the one and only episode Twice-Told Twist in color which aired in February 66. They decided against going to color and ended the show. The timing of the changeover is also the reason the pilots of shows like Wild Wild West, I Dream of Jeanie, Get Smart and Hogan's Heroes were in black and white but the rest of the series were in color.

As far a Disney goes he was an innovator. He knew color was the future. He was filming shows like Davy Crockett in color back in 1955 knowing that someday everyone would be watching it in color.

Missed it by a year

Thanks for pointing it out

There aren't many comedies over 50 years old that I really enjoy today. However, I think David Lean's "Hobson's Choice" is as fresh and funny today as it was in 1954. Willie Mossop (John Mills) is a gifted but unappreciated bootmaker employed by the tyrannical Henry Horatio Hobson (Charles Laughton) in his moderately upscale shop in 1880s Salford in Lancashire. Hard-drinking widower Hobson has three daughters. Maggie (Brenda De Banzie) and her younger sisters Alice (Daphne Anderson) and Vicky (Prunella Scales) have worked in their father's establishment without wages and are eager to be married and free of the shop. What follows is the very funny feel good story.

I think Alfred Hitchcock's Mr and Mrs. Smith is so funny. 1941 with Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery. I looked for this clip, I think it's hilarious. I only wish instead of the music it was the original sound track, but I guess the editing made it too difficult

I think Alfred Hitchcock's Mr and Mrs. Smith is so funny. 1941 with Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery. I looked for this clip, I think it's hilarious. I only wish instead of the music it was the original sound track, but I guess the editing made it too difficult

Interesting. I assume the new Mr. and Mr. Smith (with Brad and Angelina) must be a remake of that movie! Wow! The things I'm learning here on this thread! :D

Forum List

Back