What old movies are you watching.

I saw Oliver Twist before too! That is a REALLY old one I think.

The Great Gatsby, saw the movie/read the book.
Liked the book better than the movie

Me too. The book was way better, but that's usually how it goes for me. If I've read the book, I'm usually disappointed in the movie with very few exceptions.
If it's a decent movie, I like to see the movie first. Of course, not many books are made into movies. I actually saw the Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mocking Bird, and War and Peace before reading the books.

It's usually the other way around for me. I read the original Dracula, Bram Stoker's Dracula, which was an excellent book, and then I saw the movie . . . meh. I guess it's kind of hard to capture that atmosphere and essence though. It was a hell of a creepy book. :D

A movie called "Suddenly". Frank Sinatra as a cold blooded presidential assassin, can you picture that? But it is a good flick.

A movie called "Suddenly". Frank Sinatra as a cold blooded presidential assassin, can you picture that? But it is a good flick.
I agree. Sinatra was actually a pretty good dramatic actor. He was great in Here to Eternity which won him an academy award.

Just watched Key Largo on Laser Disc.
Was it the colorized version? I saw a colorized version that wasn't good at all.
Laserdisc predates colorizing. The early colorized movies suck. They still haven't fixed Miracle on 34th Street.

What about the Wizard of Oz? I like it in color. Some of the movies, I actually prefer in black and white though. It sets a certain atmosphere for some movies, you know? :)

Was it the colorized version? I saw a colorized version that wasn't good at all.
Laserdisc predates colorizing. The early colorized movies suck. They still haven't fixed Miracle on 34th Street.

What about the Wizard of Oz? I like it in color. Some of the movies, I actually prefer in black and white though. It sets a certain atmosphere for some movies, you know? :)

The Wizard was filmed in black and white and then colored with what they call a sepia tone process until she landed in OZ. From there on, it was in Technicolor. Technicolor was still fairly new at that time, and is part of what made Oz so vivid compared to the scenes in Kansas.

The Wizard was filmed in black and white and then colored with what they call a sepia tone process until she landed in OZ. From there on, it was in Technicolor. Technicolor was still fairly new at that time, and is part of what made Oz so vivid compared to the scenes in Kansas.

I really like the color parts. The colors are so vivid and beautiful in that movie. I don't think I've ever seen that one in just black and white. If I have, I was too young to remember.

I really like the color parts. The colors are so vivid and beautiful in that movie. I don't think I've ever seen that one in just black and white. If I have, I was too young to remember.

Only the first part before she landed in OZ was filmed in black and white.

Only the first part before she landed in OZ was filmed in black and white.

I'll take your word for it since I don't really know, but I always thought the color was added to the movie later on. :dunno:

Yep. Colorizing always relies on someone, usually not connected with the original production deciding on the color of the house, the dress, the car, and the background. If not done right it can really detract from the directors intent. The success of some movies such as "Citizen Kane", "Rebecca", "The Longest Day", or "Psycho" owe much to the director and the cinematographer's use of shadow and shades of gray. I can't image "The Third Man" in color. There are great movies that would not be so great in black and white and others that need to be seen in black and white. I really hate the way audience's have become so conditioned to color that they can't appreciate great b&w cinematography and the mood it can create. When I watch old movies with my grand kids, they really hate movies in black and white.

1935 Midsummers Night Dream
A Midsummer Night s Dream 1935 film - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

One of my favorites. For 1935 the special effects are pretty good as are the costumes. Olivia de Havilland good as always and a young Mickey Rooney plays a great Robin Goodfellow (puck) except for that really annoying sound he makes through out the whole movie.

Cast[edit]

L. to R. :Ross Alexander, Dick Powell, Jean Muir and Olivia de Havilland
The Athenian Court

The Players

The Fairies

That's quite a cast. I'll look for that.

If I had to pick a decade, it would be the '40s. I like noir, Cagney, Mitchem, etc. The 40s were the golden age of Los Angeles.

I just finished a BBC miniseries- 'I, Claudius'
. It's from 1976, almost 40 years ago, so I'm going to call it old. It was interesting to me because the story of Emperor Claudius fascinates me, but also because of all the familiar British actors. John Hurt as Caligula, Derek Jacobi as Claudius, Brian Blessed as Augustus, Patrick Stewart ( Cpt Picard ) in a major role, etc.

The movie version of I, Claudius was supposed to come out in 1937, starring Charles Laughton. It was a huge production with elaborate sets, but Merle Oberon got into a car accident. She was irreplaceable as Messalina, so the project was abandoned. Lloyd's of London paid out. But, I saw one scene of Laughton as Claudius addressing the Roman Senate. Genius.

The Magnificent Ambersons is a 1942 American period drama, the second feature film produced and directed by Orson Welles. Welles adapted Booth Tarkington's Pulitzer Prize-winning 1918 novel, about the declining fortunes of a proud Midwestern family and the social changes brought by the automobile age.

Welles lost control of the editing of The Magnificent Ambersons to RKO, and the final version released to audiences differed significantly from his rough cut of the film. More than an hour of footage was cut by the studio, which also shot and substituted a happier ending. We will never see the movie that Well's intended but it's worth watching just for the unique camera work that's one of Well's trademarks in setting mood.
Welles lost control of the editing of The Magnificent Ambersons to RKO, and the final version released to audiences differed significantly from his rough cut of the film. More than an hour of footage was cut by the studio, which also shot and substituted a happier ending.

Magnificent Ambersons The -- Movie Clip Very Well Indeed

I saw that. Pretty good.

I like The Stranger, directed by and starring Orson Welles. Edward G Robinson is in it, and he's always good. Loretta Young. It's a creepy noir movie, which is what I like best. I love the obscure ones.

Often they would drive up to Central California to film a movie, and you catch a glimpse of old California. I've seen a few set in Monterey. I like Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt (1943) set in little Santa Rosa.

I'm fortunate to live by a specialty DVD rental place. They have a lot of old stuff you can't find on Netflix.

The Magnificent Ambersons is a 1942 American period drama, the second feature film produced and directed by Orson Welles. Welles adapted Booth Tarkington's Pulitzer Prize-winning 1918 novel, about the declining fortunes of a proud Midwestern family and the social changes brought by the automobile age.

Welles lost control of the editing of The Magnificent Ambersons to RKO, and the final version released to audiences differed significantly from his rough cut of the film. More than an hour of footage was cut by the studio, which also shot and substituted a happier ending. We will never see the movie that Well's intended but it's worth watching just for the unique camera work that's one of Well's trademarks in setting mood.
Welles lost control of the editing of The Magnificent Ambersons to RKO, and the final version released to audiences differed significantly from his rough cut of the film. More than an hour of footage was cut by the studio, which also shot and substituted a happier ending.

Magnificent Ambersons The -- Movie Clip Very Well Indeed

I saw that. Pretty good.

I like The Stranger, directed by and starring Orson Welles. Edward G Robinson is in it, and he's always good. Loretta Young. It's a creepy noir movie, which is what I like best. I love the obscure ones.

Often they would drive up to Central California to film a movie, and you catch a glimpse of old California. I've seen a few set in Monterey. I like Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt (1943) set in little Santa Rosa.

I'm fortunate to live by a specialty DVD rental place. They have a lot of old stuff you can't find on Netflix.
The Stranger was the only film made by Welles to have been a bona fide box office success upon its release. Even Citizen Kane, couldn't break even till it was released in Europe years later.

The Stranger was a really good movie.

The Uninvited, a 1944 release with Ray Milland was probably one of the first "man buys haunted house" movies. Although the subject is so trite today, this film manages to be fresh and intriguing. The theme music, "Stellar by Starlight" is wonderful.

Boys Town (1938)

en.wikipedia.org

upload_2015-1-5_20-26-48.png

·
1hr 36min · Drama
IMDb 7.3/10
Rotten Tomatoes 89%
  • Boys Town is a 1938 biographical drama film based on Father Edward J. Flanagan's work with a group of underprivileged and delinquent boys in a home that he founded and named "Boys Town". It stars Spencer Tracy as Father Edward J. Flanagan, …
    en.wikipedia.org

All of OZ was in Technicolor except for the opening and closing credits and the Kansas seances which were in sepia. I've always thought the sepia was nice. It gives a touch of un-realism which fits nicely into the tornado and then the bursting of color in the opening scenes of OZ. This movie did a lot to sell Technicolor to MGM.

Last edited:
If they had filmed the tornado sequence in color with the tech at the time it would have looked fake. Same goes for The Twilight Zone. That show being in black and white was the main reason it was so good.

Speaking of tech. Why has no one talked about how the new stuff looks like crap compared to the older stuff? Besides the whole widescreen BS, people have gotten so wrapped up in computer CGI they forget about the old simple techniques. For any of you who don't understand the evolution of cinema watch this:

Pay attention to the part about Vistavision. That is the reason movies like White Christmas and Vertigo still look flawless after 60 years.

And if any of you I love black bars generation whine folks think you have a clue. Go see the upcoming Taratino film Hateful Eight. It is being filmed with actual 70MM cameras not shitty digital and will have the look of films like Ben Hur, South Pacific and The Sound Of music.

Forum List

Back