What Isolationism?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, Feb 2, 2006.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    George Washington vs. Woodrow Wilson?

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Mr Bacevich must not get out much. He hasn't heard the calls of 'bring the troops home.' 'Bring our jobs home.' My favorite, 'we will not fight for those..., again.' Most of us here are on some front isolationists, so are most Americans. Bush might argue, indeed I think he would, that closing our borders to 'guest workers' instead of setting and keeping to a serious, if generous immigration policy is isolationism.

For myself I think the last must happen, if not now, IF we were to be 'hit' again, it will be forced. Keeping our military out where it's 'readily available' if not always involved in 'killing and breaking things' is for the foreseeable future, just a fact. They probably will be killing and breaking for a long time, unless there is a lull, thanks to an electorate that does become too isolationist, then of course, like the borders, it's just a matter of times.

Jobs being outsourced, well that too is the relentlessness of time and progress. It those grousing about it, spent more time thinking of what, how, and where to the develop the next new economic front, they will be very wealthy. Someone(s) is thinking of it, it will in all likelihood start here, make piles of money, then be cloned somewhere else, making it cheaper.

Isolationism/protectionism are parts, bad parts in most cases, of a process not a single event.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Interesting for me for how he laid out the seperate visions of Washington and Wilson. I would note with interest he left out Jackson and Lincoln's seperate visions of a nation as well.