Much Of Muslim World Incapable Of Democracy?

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
As recent events such as the Danish cartoon flap continue, we all should wonder... nevertheless, we have to be patient right? Their culture is failed, their religion is held hostage by backwards fundamentalists, etc etc?

http://www.cominganarchy.com/archives/2006/02/02/incapable-of-democracy/

Incapable of Democracy?
As the trouble between Denmark and the world’s Muslims widens over a row about publishing caricatures of the prophet Mohammed, seven other European newspapers have republished them in support of free speech causing further uproar and proving that much of the Muslim world is sadly incapable of democracy, not even understanding the basic tenet of free speech, failing the Voltaire test based on the saying commonly attriubted to him: “I do not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

A few upset locals would have been understandable in this situation, maybe occasional criticism from a neighboring country, but the outrage sparked by the 12 cartoon series is downright pathetic and makes one pessimistic about the ability of the the greater Muslim world to live in modern society. There were protests in Denmark, Pakistan, and all over the Middle East. Armed Gunmen in Gaza took over an EU office. Libya closed its embassy in Copenhagen and a number of countries recalled their ambassadors and Danish products are being boycotted all over the Middle East. My personal favorite was the call for UN sanctions against Denmark. The actions of mature modern societies?

Additionally, many Muslims don’t even know their own religion well enough to understand why depictions of the prophet are traditionally forbidden. In pre-Islamic Arabia, idolatry was widespread and once Mohammed had conquered the Arabian peninsula, was banned due to the fear that its inhabitants would revert to their previous worship of idols if pictures and statues were made of Mohammed and Allah. Thus, over 1400 years later, such danger can hardly be said to exist.

Since most of us have only read the articles, but not actually seen the comics over which all the fuss has been made, I’d like to present them here. At the great risk of displeasing Allah, I invite readers to have a drink and enjoy.

The comics were originlly published with the following text and as usual Wikipedia has a wealth of information on the incident.

The modern, secular society is rejected by some Muslims. They demand a special position, insisting on special consideration of their own religious feelings. It is incompatible with temporal democracy and freedom of speech, where you must be ready to put up with insults, mockery and ridicule. It is certainly not always equally attractive and nice to look at, and it does not mean that religious feelings should be made fun of at any price, but that is less important in this context. [...] we are on our way to a slippery slope where no-one can tell how the self-censorship will end. That is why Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten has invited members of the Danish editorial cartoonists union to draw Muhammad as they see him. [...]”

So some argue. Personally, I think they have a great number of 'ignorant followers,' ready to kill infidels. As pointed out, a great number have no real understanding of their own or any other religion/culture. Palestinians are way up their in the hordes. It may not be the 'people's' fault, but that doesn't take away the danger posed.

Kathianne said:
So some argue. Personally, I think they have a great number of 'ignorant followers,' ready to kill infidels. As pointed out, a great number have no real understanding of their own or any other religion/culture. Palestinians are way up their in the hordes. It may not be the 'people's' fault, but that doesn't take away the danger posed.

Too many followers, not enough leaders. And when all the few leaders available come out of the mosque and are fundamentalists, that not good.

This is why I love blogs and message boards like USMB. Agree or disagree, we can pretty much ask any non-PC question we desire.

NATO AIR said:
Too many followers, not enough leaders. And when all the few leaders available come out of the mosque and are fundamentalists, that not good.

This is why I love blogs and message boards like USMB. Agree or disagree, we can pretty much ask any non-PC question we desire.
That's what a literate and educated society creates. Messy, argumenative, but creative.

Why did the slavemasters not want the slaves to know how to read? Why do most Islamic nations control education-making it 'koran' based? Control and keeping the captives, kept and used.

Kathianne said:
So some argue. Personally, I think they have a great number of 'ignorant followers,

Ignorant followers, you mean kind of like us following bush?

DFresh said:
Ignorant followers, you mean kind of like us following bush?
Speak for yourself, you might follow blindly, most of us do not. So did you enjoy the bj he gave you?

Forum List

Back