What is tyranny?

Does tyranny change your life

• Yes, I am concerned about our modern day complicated world

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, I am set with all the Orville Redenbacher popcorn I can handle

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've lowered the bar on words such as freedom, tyranny, racism, homophobia, hate, radical, Nazi and many others to the point where they mean very little at this point. Either the crazies controlling our political conversation need to calm the fuck down or we need to start inventing new words..
Who is this we you speak of frenchie? The terms are tools used by the fascist democrat/liberal propaganda machine....it is they who have lowered the bar on those terms, purposely, because it is they who are those things..... It's propaganda 101.....
So you don't see any hyperbole coming from the Right, I take it?

Your use of the term "fascist" is literal?

Tyranny starts with the destruction of "freedom of speech"...

I have seen a lot of people on this forum, using very offensive, racist, disgusting language against the president of this country, if this was happening under a tyrannic government, they would first be arrested, then would be questioned, and then would be electrocuted in the balls...

This country is far away from tyranny, far far away indeed...
Thanks to the people of this nation and their vision of a modern society...
Whoever claims otherwise, have no idea what they are talking about... absolutely no idea...

Where is the mind of the American when the first thing they think of is bathrooms?

"A tyrant institutionalises stupidity, but he is the first servant of his own system and the first to be installed within it." Gilles Deleuze

"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley wrote in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984 Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us...This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right." Neil Postman 'Amusing Ourselves to Death'

Where is the mind of the American when the first thing they think of is bathrooms?

When you're a parent with vulnerable little girls men pretending to be women in restrooms with them it becomes an issue. But it's a symptom of a much larger problem...the left's need to destroy morals and values and to create further division. We're onto you loons

I have seen a lot of people on this forum, using very offensive, racist, disgusting language against the president of this country, if this was happening under a tyrannic government, they would first be arrested, then would be questioned, and then would be electrocuted in the balls...

My wife's father was a detective in Chile during Pinochet. I know well about that. :eek:

We've lowered the bar on words such as freedom, tyranny, racism, homophobia, hate, radical, Nazi and many others to the point where they mean very little at this point. Either the crazies controlling our political conversation need to calm the fuck down or we need to start inventing new words..
Who is this we you speak of frenchie? The terms are tools used by the fascist democrat/liberal propaganda machine....it is they who have lowered the bar on those terms, purposely, because it is they who are those things..... It's propaganda 101.....

Fascist is one of the many terms rooted in the left....

It hit close to home I take it?

Fascist is one of the many terms rooted in the left....

It hit close to home I take it?
I don't know what "fascist is one of the many terms rooted in the Left" means.

I'll ask again: When you use the term "fascist" or "fascism" to describe contemporary America/Americans, are you being literal?

Seems like a pretty straightforward question.

We've lowered the bar on words such as freedom, tyranny, racism, homophobia, hate, radical, Nazi and many others to the point where they mean very little at this point.

Either the crazies controlling our political conversation need to calm the fuck down or we need to start inventing new words.

No we haven't. I'm sure that you are not confused about what tyranny is. Nor am I. The words mean the same thing as they always have.

The best part about this is that it is you who wants to control the conversation.

No we haven't. I'm sure that you are not confused about what tyranny is. Nor am I. The words mean the same thing as they always have.The best part about this is that it is you who wants to control the conversation.
Why am I not surprised you don't like that post?

:laugh:

No we haven't. I'm sure that you are not confused about what tyranny is. Nor am I. The words mean the same thing as they always have.The best part about this is that it is you who wants to control the conversation.
Why am I not surprised you don't like that post?

:laugh:

It isn't a matter of like or dislike. It is a matter of looking at the matter objectively. You still know the meaning of the word tyranny, do you not? The fact that partisan politicians and pundits have overused it doesn't change the meaning FOR YOU, does it?

We have no one to blame but ourselves. I believe most tyranny is inside of us and manifests in the morning or afternoon when work begins to grind to a halt.

Are you saying the Devil finds work for idle hands? The Bible has always had priceless bits of wisdom when I sit down and really think about it. New Testament anyway.

The most stark and clearly identifiable form of tyranny I've seen in my entire life (I'm in my 50s) was Justice Ginsburg conducting "gay weddings" and giving interviews saying that gay marriage was an idea America was ready for, while the landmark case on gay marriage, having much opposition, was pending in her Court. And, that she refused to recuse herself.

There is nothing like judicial tyranny; because the sense of injustice stings worse than any other tyranny. The next closest thing, again courtesy of the US Supreme Court, was "Citizen's United". Five people gave a back door to foreign money to influence our elections. Controlling CEOs could be foreigners with hostile interests towards the USA; and they did not have to take the Oath of naturalization. The day I heard that, I could hear all the Founding Fathers vomit from shock.

Headline this morning about black athletes refusing to stand for national anthem and idiotic RW faux outrage saying they should leave the country and/or not being allowed to play their sport.

IOW, they want what N Korea, China and China have. They want what Drumpf and his kkk followers are preaching.

If we value our rights and freedoms, we will celebrate that the state cannot force us to pay homage to it. Same with burning the flag. Its only a piece of fabric but it symbolizes the millions of deaths that give us the right to burn it. Another that comes to mind is the Hustler publisher who tested the First Amendment with his magazine.

I believe we need cases like this to constantly push against and test the First Amendment.

The case of Gawker being forced out of business is frightening because, very literally, money is what killed it. Trump's promises and threats to hamstring the First Amendment and journalissts are also very frightening and I'm just as afraid of his choice for veep.

9atlkm_zps822daaea.jpg

We have no one to blame but ourselves. I believe most tyranny is inside of us and manifests in the morning or afternoon when work begins to grind to a halt.

Are you saying the Devil finds work for idle hands? The Bible has always had priceless bits of wisdom when I sit down and really think about it. New Testament anyway.

The most stark and clearly identifiable form of tyranny I've seen in my entire life (I'm in my 50s) was Justice Ginsburg conducting "gay weddings" and giving interviews saying that gay marriage was an idea America was ready for, while the landmark case on gay marriage, having much opposition, was pending in her Court. And, that she refused to recuse herself.

There is nothing like judicial tyranny; because the sense of injustice stings worse than any other tyranny. The next closest thing, again courtesy of the US Supreme Court, was "Citizen's United". Five people gave a back door to foreign money to influence our elections. Controlling CEOs could be foreigners with hostile interests towards the USA; and they did not have to take the Oath of naturalization. The day I heard that, I could hear all the Founding Fathers vomit from shock.

Marriage equality is an excellent example of the right's willingness to quash very basic rights and force people to obey the state in the most intimate parts of their lives. So is abortion.

With the caveat of protecting those who cannot protect themselves - eg - **children, women, handicapped, animals - the state should be kept out of our bedrooms and other areas of our private lives. And, its outrageous that some would hand over the control of their bodies to the state.

While we should all be allowed our opinions, we should not allowed to force others to agree with us and abide by our rules and decisions. The same is true of religions. Believe whatever you wish but keep it out of schools, government and OFF MY FRONT PORCH.

** No, fetuses are not children. Don't even bother to go there.

What is tyranny to you?

The enforcement of any law or regulation upon adults engaged in consensual activity. If you haven't done anything to infringe on the rights of another, if you haven't taken what doesn't belong to you...you should not be subject to any government intervention. None, zero, zip.

What is tyranny to you?

The enforcement of any law or regulation upon adults engaged in consensual activity. If you haven't done anything to infringe on the rights of another, if you haven't taken what doesn't belong to you...you should not be subject to any government intervention. None, zero, zip.

Infringement is a relative concept.

Forum List

Back