What is God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allie, so you admit you can't ever prove the existence of god, but it doesn't matter, he exists anyways? So in order to believe in god, you have to suspend logic and common sense?
So basically, anything that can't be proven actually exist, so that everything you can think of in your wildest dreams exists because we can't prove its existence.
So in that case, I know you just shit your pants. I can't prove it, but that still doesn't make it so.

Proof doesn't define reality.
Right. Reality validates proof.

Electricity existed before we "proved" it's existence.
And the proof was validated by evidence.

Viruses existed before we "proved" their existence.

And it's the same with God.
Except for the evidence.

He's there whether you believe in him or not.
If He's there, He's there whether you believe in him or not.

Bring the evidence, otherwise STFU.

Then i guess this thread only applies to those of us deluded ones who know there is a God through evidence that can only be proved spiritually in a person's heart and mind through meditation and spiritual reasoning. It is pointless for us to argue about whether there is or isn't. My mind is made up.

Since the thread is about what God IS, then non-believers are irrelevant to the discussion. So why don't you guys use your time more wisely in a thread entitled something like "There is no God."

Proof doesn't define reality.
Right. Reality validates proof.

Electricity existed before we "proved" it's existence.

And it's the same with God.
Except for the evidence.

He's there whether you believe in him or not.
If He's there, He's there whether you believe in him or not.

Bring the evidence, otherwise STFU.

I'd love to know why alleged non-believers get so angry when others believe.

I think it's because they know their own theories about the origins of mankind and the world are based on theories even more laughable than the theories we maintain.

Oh, except ours theories have remained static for the last several thousand years...and have never been disproved. Unlike their theories, which undergo radical changes every few years.

Then i guess this thread only applies to those of us deluded ones who know there is a God through evidence that can only be proved spiritually in a person's heart and mind through meditation and spiritual reasoning. It is pointless for us to argue about whether there is or isn't. My mind is made up.

Since the thread is about what God IS, then non-believers are irrelevant to the discussion. So why don't you guys use your time more wisely in a thread entitled something like "There is no God."

I agree that their "contribution" is pretty much worthless. They participate anyway, IMO, because of their own self doubt. They aren't trying to convince you or me, they are trying to convince themselves.

This is the same logic many of them use regarding conservatives and homosexuality so either I'm right about this because the logic holds up, or they are wrong that conservatives are closeted homosexuals. Either way is fine with me. :)

I agree that their "contribution" is pretty much worthless. They participate anyway, IMO, because of their own self doubt. They aren't trying to convince you or me, they are trying to convince themselves.

So the only reason we disagree with you is becase we secretly want to be like you? Bwaaaahaahaaa!!! My goodness, you're a tool.

Whoever gave you your psychology degree owes you a refund. If I want psychobabble, I'll turn the channel to Dr. Phil.

Nobody's angry at believers, just trying to get you guys to realize that you NEVER offer any kind of tangible proof for the existence of your god. It's fun, kinda like poking a retard with a sharp stick. Like Truthspeaker, you need to self-delude/self-hypnotize yourself into believing, although TS managed to convince himself that an alien from another planet is his god, which IMO makes anything he has to "contribute" completely irrelevant to any kind of sane debate. Kinda like debating with a rock, although at least a rock doesn't believe in aliens who rule us. But then again, he's funnier than a rock, lol.

Nobody's angry at believers, just trying to get you guys to realize that you NEVER offer any kind of tangible proof for the existence of your god. It's fun, kinda like poking a retard with a sharp stick. Like Truthspeaker, you need to self-delude/self-hypnotize yourself into believing, although TS managed to convince himself that an alien from another planet is his god, which IMO makes anything he has to "contribute" completely irrelevant to any kind of sane debate. Kinda like debating with a rock, although at least a rock doesn't believe in aliens who rule us. But then again, he's funnier than a rock, lol.

At least a rock can't continue to embarass itself everytime it speaks. And if you think it's funny to poke a retarded person then maybe you should sit still and give me the stick. That's probably the only time I would get enjoyment from abusing a disabled person. You are a frustrated, sad and ignorant derelict. I don't feel for you.

Actually, we do offer tangible proof, all the time. Which you dismiss as you cling to your own theories, which also provide no tangible proof.

And that is the issue. You do exhibit anger, sometimes EXTREME anger...while at the same time, your own belief system is even less substantial than our own. Besides which, you're insulting people for sticking by theories which have NEVER been disproved, while alternately picking up and dropping any pop science that comes along...until it's shattered and you have to pick up something else.

You're hypocrites is all I'm saying.

Tangible proof? Like what?

When was I angry? I'm thoroughly amused, not angry. You're thinking of Huggy.

Truthspeaker, you actually think that your god is an alien from another planet, lol. That's TOO funny!!! LOLOLOL

Let's say tangible proof of the veracity of the bible, not tangible evidence of God. There is none, and there won't be, until Jesus returns.

Likewise, there's no tangible evidence of any other explanation for the existence of the earth and mankind, no tangible evidence of macroevolution, no tangible evidence that the bible is not truthful.

Proof that the bible is true? Like what? Maybe a few cities that existed or a king that actually existed, anything else? or should I say, anything of consequence?
And anyways, that some meaningless things were true doesn't make the big things true (Adam & Eve, the ark, the parting of the red sea...)

This is an excerpt from one of my favorite books "The Tao is Silent", by Richard M. Smullyan, and I'll re-type it for you here. It's from Chapter 22, Is God a Taoist?

It's a conversation between a mortal and God........

Mortal: There is one thing about your self description which is somewhat disturbing. You describe yourself essentially as a process. This puts you in such an impersonal light, and so many people have need for a personal God.

God: So because they need a personal God, it follows that I am one?

Mortal: Of course not. But to be acceptable to a mortal , a religion must satisfy their needs.

God: I realize that. But the so called "personality" of a being is really more in the eyes of the beholder than in the being itself. The controversies which have raged about whether I am a personal or an impersonal being are rather silly because neither side is right or wrong. From one point of view, I am personal, from another, I am not. It is the sem with a human being. A creature from another planet may look at him purely impersonally as a mere collection of physical laws. He may7 have no more feeling for the personality of a human than the average human has for an ant. Yet an ant has just as much individual personality as a human to beings like myself who really know the ant. To look at something impersonally is no more correct or incorrect than to look at it personally but in general, the better you get to know something, the more personal it becomes. To illustrate my point, do you think of me as a personal or impersonal being?

Mortal: Well, I'm talking to you, am I not?

God: Exactly! from that point of view, your attitude toward me might be described as a personal one. And yet, from another point of view - no less valid - I can be looked at impersonally.

Mortal: But, if you are really such an abstract thing as a process, I don't see what sense it can make my talking to a mere "process".

God: I love the way you say "mere". You might just as well say that you are living in a "mere universe". Also, why must everything one does make sense. Does it make sense to talk to a tree?

Mortal: Of course not!

God: And yet, many children and primitives do just that.

Mortal: But I am neither a child nor a primitive.

God: I realize that unfortunately.

Mortal: Why unfortunately?

God: Because many children and primitives have a primal intuition which the likes of you have lost. Frankly, I think it would do you a lot of good to talk to a tree once in awhile, even more good than talking to me! But we seem to always be getting sidetracked.

I highly recommend reading that chapter. It answers a lot of questions, as well as solves a lot of conflicts.

So what?

Sure, I would like it if you believed, but I can't make you, and in the end it's not my problem.

So what?

Sure, I would like it if you believed, but I can't make you, and in the end it's not my problem.

You may wish to remember that when you are denigrating gays Amanda. You can't make them go straight, and so therefore, it's not your problem.

Amanda, all I'm asking for is ONE shred of proof. I could believe, but I'm the sort of guy who needs actual proof. Show me some and I'll believe instantly. No shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back