What is a human right?

That makes me think about any link between gender and learning preferences. My learning preference - using various instruments - always comes up as being visual (preferably written). I much preferred reading assignments over lectures for example. I still prefer reading and I'll eschew (if possible) multimedia (in particular solely audio) methods.

I hadn't really thought of that, but you may have hit on another component of the phenomenon. But as a guy, wouldn't you prefer a power point presentation with visuals than a lecture alone? It is true that women will frequently have an easier time grasping concepts from a lecture or audio presentation than will the guys. Again there are always exceptions. Then again the guys have an easier time grasping concepts of a diagram or other written instructions showing how to assemble something complicated than the women usually will.

I hadn't really thought of that, but you may have hit on another component of the phenomenon. But as a guy, wouldn't you prefer a power point presentation with visuals than a lecture alone? It is true that women will frequently have an easier time grasping concepts from a lecture or audio presentation than will the guys. Again there are always exceptions. Then again the guys have an easier time grasping concepts of a diagram or other written instructions showing how to assemble something complicated than the women usually will.

On the lecture/av and lecture alone. I know this is the blindingly obvious but as long as the ppt supports the material and isn't a crutch for a lecturer then it does help, it's even better if the lecturer remembers to leave handouts of the ppt near the door of course.

I remember going to a lecture one night and being told that the lecturer was brilliant, inspirational etc. and I was looking forward to it. I was disappointed. The delivery was flat, it was purely verbal and - this is going to sound a bit arrogant - I didn't learn anything new.

On diagrams and instructions. I can read maps and all the rest of it but when it comes to quick directions from A to B in a neighbourhood I prefer to read the directions - 1st left, travel 400 metres, turn right, travel 100 metres, turn left - that sort of thing. If I give directions I'll ask if the person would like a mud map or for me to write the directions down (covering various learning styles :D).

I can read directions to assemble furniture but admit that the words "some assembly required" on a carton has been known to put me into a cold sweat :rofl:

Forum List

Back