Intelligent Design and Evolution?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by manifold, Feb 21, 2008.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,777
    Is intelligent design merely an abstact concept or is there an official, documented dogma that articulates precisely what a believer in I.D. actually believes? If it is merely an abstract concept, how can it really contradict the theory of evolution? Could not the evolutionary process be the foundation of such an intelligent design? The cynic in me views it as a largely failed politcal ploy, concocted by science-hating creationists, but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    Intelligent design assumes that some THING, usually a God, arranged for the beginning of life and has had a hand in other steps along the way. The theory discounts that pure random chance lead to life and lead to man.

3. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,777
    How important is the qualifier "pure" in regards to random chance in your understanding of I.D.? Because even designed systems can, and often do, employ random processes. But obviously said system itself would not be purely random.

4. CharlestonChad

CharlestonChad Baller Deluxe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    ID is a very blurry term. I can mean a lot of different things. I don't know of a standardized definition for ID.

I was at a public debate at the end of darwin week about Evolution and Christianity, and how they relate to each other. There is biblical scripture that denounces all of science, along the lines of "it's a sin to think god's thoughts after Him".

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,777

Isn't that why Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden? Wasn't the infamous apple from the tree of "knowledge?"

6. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The Heritage Foundation has plenty to say about it I am sure

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,777
    Like what for example?

8. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wppjYDj9JUc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wppjYDj9JUc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

9. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Intelligent Design can mean whatever you want it to mean just like many religious tenets can.

For me, I believe in a God concept. Something that is greater than any of the mortal/time limited objects that I know exist. I like the term, "Eternal Present." No change ever. No entropy.

I also believe in evolution that is guided by some power greater than random chance but still allowing random chance to operate as the selection process.

I don't see any problem being a Deist and believing in evolution as the means for feces to evolve to their present state and beyond.

I do have a real serious problem with the 7 days concept and garden of Eden thing. That is so pat with other primative explanations of how life was created. I find it hard to believe that someone would take the bible that literally today. But, then I find it hard to believe that some folks on these threads believe what they write.:eusa_wall:

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G9NKm_dbyvw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G9NKm_dbyvw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>