What is a human right?

Dude, I make my living using cites... but they have to be valid ones. And when it comes to "studies", I'd suggest actually looking at the study and what it says instead of someone else's description of what it says.

Whats wrong with the cites contained in the article?
A. Is Dual-Gender Parenting Protective For Children?

There is no fact that has been established by social science literature more convincingly than the following: all variables considered, children are best served when reared in a home with a married mother and father. David Popenoe (1996) summarized the research nicely: "social science research is almost never conclusive, yet in three decades of work as a social scientist, I know of few other bodies of data in which the weight of evidence is so decisively on one side of the issue: on the whole, for children, two-parent families are preferable to single-parent and step-families" (p. 176). Children navigate developmental stages more easily, are more solid in their gender identity, perform better; in academic tasks at school, have fewer emotional disorders and become better functioning adults when they are reared by dual-gender parents. This conclusion, supported further by a plethora of research spanning decades, clearly demonstrates gender-linked differences in child-rearing that are protective for children. That is, men and women contribute differently to the healthy development of children. Children of parents who are sex-typed are more competent (Baumrind, 1982). Research has repeatedly supported the conclusion that most effective parenting is highly expressive and highly demanding (Baumrind, 1991). Highly expressive, instrumental parenting provides children with a kind of communion characterized by inclusiveness and connectedness, as well as the drive for independence and individuality. These essential contributions to the optimum development of children are virtually impossible for a man or woman alone to combine effectively (Greenberger, 1984). Children learn about male-female relationships through the modeling of their parents. Parental relationships provide children with a model of marriage--the most meaningful relationship that the vast majority of individuals will have during their lifetimes.

Complementarity is readily observable in differing parenting styles of mothers and fathers. Not only are fathers' styles highly complementary to the styles of mothers, but research indicates that the fathers' involvement in the lives of children is essential for optimal child-rearing. For example, complementarity is provided by mothers who are flexible, warm and sympathetic, and fathers who are more directive, predictable and consistent. Rossi's research (1987) noted that mothers are better able to read an infant's facial expressions, handle with tactile gentleness, and soothe with the use of voice (p. 113). Fathers tend to emphasize overt play more than caretaking. This play in various forms among the young appears critical for later development. (Yogman, 1982).

A study authored by Marissa Diener, (2002) at the University of Utah, demonstrated that babies (12 months old) who have a close relationship with their fathers seemed more stress resistant than those who did not. Babies who had secure relationships with their fathers used more coping strategies than those who did not. Her conclusion has fascinating implications: "there may be something unique to fathers that provides children with different opportunities to regulate their emotions" (Broughton, 2002 p. Al).

Male and female differences emerge in ways in which infants are held and the differential ways in which mothers and fathers use touch with their children. Mothers more frequently use touch to calm, soothe, or comfort infants. When a mother lifts her child, she brings the child toward her breasts providing warmth, comfort, security and protection. Fathers more often use touch to stimulate or to excite the child. Fathers tend to hold infants at arms length in front of them, make eye contact, toss the infant in the air, or embrace the child in such a way that the child is looking over the father's shoulder. Shapiro notes that each of these "daddy holds" underscores a sense of freedom (1994).

Clarke-Stewart (1980) reported differences in mothers' and fathers' play. Mothers tend to play more at the child's level. Mothers provide an opportunity to direct the play, to be in charge, to proceed at the child's pace. Fathers' play resembles a teacher-student relationship--apprenticeship of sorts. Fathers' play is more rough-and-tumble. In fact, the lack of this rough-and-tumble play emerges disproportionately in the backgrounds of boys who experience gender disorders. Additionally, Clarke-Stewart notes the benefits of this rough-and-tumble play have appeared in child development areas extending from the management of emotions to intellectual and academic achievement. Interestingly enough, fathers' play is related to the development of socially acceptable forms of behaviors and does not positively correlate with violence and aggression, but rather correlates with self-control. Children who "roughhouse" with their fathers quickly learn that biting, kicking and other forms of physical violence are not acceptable. Children learn how to recognize and manage highly charged emotions in the context of playing with their fathers, and such play provides children with opportunities to recognize and respond appropriately to emotions (Cromwell & Leper, 1994).

There are gender differences in parental approaches to discipline. The disciplinary approaches of fathers tend toward firmness, relying on rules and principles. The approaches of mothers tend toward more responsiveness, involving more bargaining, more adjustment toward the child's mood and context, and is more often based on an intuitive understanding of the child's needs and emotions of the moment. Gilligan (1982) concluded that the differences between paternal and maternal approaches to discipline are rooted in the fundamental differences between men and women in their moral senses. Men stress justice, fairness and duty based on rules, while women stress understanding, sympathy, care and helping based on relationships.

Whats wrong with the cites contained in the article?
A. Is Dual-Gender Parenting Protective For Children?

Sure, lets look at this article. Perish forbid you try to support any of the other bullshit you've posted that I've already torn apart. Oh, or the stuff you posted that actively goes AGAINST your point of view. But here we go again.

There is no fact that has been established by social science literature more convincingly than the following: all variables considered, children are best served when reared in a home with a married mother and father. David Popenoe (1996) summarized the research nicely: "social science research is almost never conclusive, yet in three decades of work as a social scientist, I know of few other bodies of data in which the weight of evidence is so decisively on one side of the issue: on the whole, for children, two-parent families are preferable to single-parent and step-families" (p. 176).

Hmm, looks like the evidence the author cites didn't look at gay parents only straight parents, single-parents and step-families. But yet, they feel free to draw the conclusion that:

Children navigate developmental stages more easily, are more solid in their gender identity, perform better; in academic tasks at school, have fewer emotional disorders and become better functioning adults when they are reared by dual-gender parents.

Wait, that comes from the cite? Oh no wait, it doesn't. Ah yes, they just made that up.

This conclusion, supported further by a plethora of research spanning decades, clearly demonstrates gender-linked differences in child-rearing that are protective for children. That is, men and women contribute differently to the healthy development of children. Children of parents who are sex-typed are more competent (Baumrind, 1982).

1982? Really? Tell me, what was the sample size in 1982?

Research has repeatedly supported the conclusion that most effective parenting is highly expressive and highly demanding (Baumrind, 1991). Highly expressive, instrumental parenting provides children with a kind of communion characterized by inclusiveness and connectedness, as well as the drive for independence and individuality.

Nothing to do with gender here.

These essential contributions to the optimum development of children are virtually impossible for a man or woman alone to combine effectively (Greenberger, 1984).

Again...the 80's? Really?

Children learn about male-female relationships through the modeling of their parents. Parental relationships provide children with a model of marriage--the most meaningful relationship that the vast majority of individuals will have during their lifetimes.

Oh noes...they might not fall into the exact stereotypes about marriage!!!!

Alright, thats enough. This is ludicrous.

Sure, lets look at this article. Perish forbid you try to support any of the other bullshit you've posted that I've already torn apart. Oh, or the stuff you posted that actively goes AGAINST your point of view. But here we go again.

Hmm, looks like the evidence the author cites didn't look at gay parents only straight parents, single-parents and step-families. But yet, they feel free to draw the conclusion that:

Wait, that comes from the cite? Oh no wait, it doesn't. Ah yes, they just made that up.

1982? Really? Tell me, what was the sample size in 1982?

Nothing to do with gender here.

Again...the 80's? Really?

Oh noes...they might not fall into the exact stereotypes about marriage!!!!

Alright, thats enough. This is ludicrous.

There are plenty of cites from that article that are after the 80's....this would be your opinion and that's fine....mine is different. LOL

There are plenty of cites from that article that are after the 80's....this would be your opinion and that's fine....mine is different. LOL

And I should trust she is using those sources accurately, given the obvious skewing I showed previously?

You have shown nothing, but your ignorance....LOL

Which is why you don't respond to my comments and instead just post more bullshit, right?

You got owned, kid. As i said before, go away and educate yourself and then maybe we can have a proper debate.

Something about judging distances and size, they have a problem with those functions, to a female everything looks, well, smaller than it really is.

Not smaller; just not as well mentally computed by women who tend to be more left brained and therefore better at reading comprehension, grasp of abstract concepts, and both objective and personal analysis of relational concepts.

Men, who tend to be more right brained, will more often be good at geometric forms, spatial relationships, and visual analysis.

There will be not all that uncommon exceptions for both genders of course.

I long ago recognized that there was more difference between the genders than a mere penis and vagina.

Not smaller; just not as well mentally computed by women who tend to be more left brained and therefore better at reading comprehension, grasp of abstract concepts, and both objective and personal analysis of relational concepts.

Men, who tend to be more right brained, will more often be good at geometric forms, spatial relationships, and visual analysis.

There will be not all that uncommon exceptions for both genders of course.

I long ago recognized that there was more difference between the genders than a mere penis and vagina.

Really? Where does this information come from?

Really? Where does this information come from?

I think it is pretty well established in the world of psychology and do-it-yourself pop psychology. Have read quite a bit, listened to lectures, and participated in extensive discussions etc. It isn't a bad thing you know. It just helps explain some of the Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus syndrome.

I think it is pretty well established in the world of psychology and do-it-yourself pop psychology. Have read quite a bit, listened to lectures, and participated in extensive discussions etc. It isn't a bad thing you know. It just helps explain some of the Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus syndrome.

I'm just not a fan of pop psychology. If you could point out some of the current research I'd appreciate it.

I think it's fair to state that the information Foxfyre is discussing comes from ethnographic field research conducted by amateur cultural anthropologists.

That is to say it's a product of the everyday experiences of ordinary men and women. :)

I just asked a teacher of math for over twenty years whether boys and girls differ in math. And the answer is 'no, definitely not.' And to clarify other areas, I asked about all topics, testing, etc and she says, they do not differ at all.

I just asked a teacher of math for over twenty years whether boys and girls differ in math. And the answer is 'no, definitely not.' And to clarify other areas, I asked about all topics, testing, etc and she says, they do not differ at all.

What do you know, I believed that there were differences as the thread claimed and yet I found this...

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~lds/pdfs/spelke2005.pdf

It would seem that at least some studies conclude there is no BIOLOGICAL difference at all.

I think it's fair to state that the information Foxfyre is discussing comes from ethnographic field research conducted by amateur cultural anthropologists.

That is to say it's a product of the everyday experiences of ordinary men and women. :)

Nothing wrong with that. Afterall, it's pretty easy to bias just about any "research" project to deliver a desired conclusion. I think it was Twain that said there's lies, damn lies and statistics. Why so many people are willing to dismiss what they observe for themselves in everyday experiences just because some agenda driven Harvard egghead says something contrary is something I'll never understand. The next female math wiz I encounter will be the first. Just sayin.

Nothing wrong with that. Afterall, it's pretty easy to bias just about any "research" project to deliver a desired conclusion. I think it was Twain that said there's lies, damn lies and statistics. Why so many people are willing to dismiss what they observe for themselves in everyday experiences just because some agenda driven Harvard egghead says something contrary is something I'll never understand. The next female math wiz I encounter will be the first. Just sayin.

If you'd quit hanging out with welfare queens maybe you'd meet one.

Forum List

Back