What happens to you when you die?

The mind is not
The mind is simply one of the functions of the brain. Just as is the subconscious and the automated functions. You can no more separate it from the physical components and processes of your brain than you can separate the renal functions from the kidneys.

I can change your personality with a few ounces of ethyl alcohol. I can remove part of your forebrain and make you lose your inhibitions. I can remove part of your temporal lobe and make you forget how to speak English.

And I can remove another one of your organs amd it will affect none of this.

So yes, your mind is just part of your brain. And it dies when the brain dies. Forever. Just as you no longer perform renal functions when your kidneys die.

All the evidence ever found shows this is exactly correct, and you have not a shred of evidence to claim otherwise.
All the mind stuff is just the electrical impulses flowing between the neurons in the physical brain. When the physical brain dies, the mind is gone. It ceases to exist.

All the evidence ever found shows this is exactly correct, and you have not a shred of evidence to claim otherwise.

the CNS has nothing to do with the spirit ...

images

Flora has no CNS, their spirit the same as Fauna is metaphysical the same as physiology is a metaphysical substance both of which combine in the beginning to give life to all beings.

Physiology and psychology began the evisceration of metaphysics with the end of the Dark Ages. In a similar way the development of the scientific method and the consensus it brings, combined with the academic and intellectual freedoms of the Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment, left less and less room for literal interpretations of any creation stories.

How odd then that individuals have asked the question "why am I me" prior to the development of competing philosophical or religious perspectives. And the diversity of mutually incompatible answers to that question presented by those many different philosophical and religious perspectives should be, among other things, your first hint that there may be no actual answer to the question.

Or at least, a hint that great confidence in your own answer is probably foolish.

“Why” questions presume the intention of a volitional actor responsible for the effect being considered. If there is no volitional actor involved, there is no “why.” There is only “how.”

To get the right answers, you must first ask the right questions.
Physiology and psychology began the evisceration of metaphysics with the end of the Dark Ages.

physiology, the physical component of life is itself a metaphysical substance not native to planet Earth but to the Universe wherever it may reside and disappears when its spiritual content is removed.

Conversely, the mind permeates every cell of the human body[
Now you are contradicting yourself. Earlier you tried to delineate mind as consciousness and not the equivalent of "brain".

Now you are redefinining "mind" as equivalent to "brain".

These parlor tricks are not going to work.
"..."Our brain is not a “stand alone” information processing organ: it acts as a central part of our integral nervous system with recurrent information exchange with the entire organism and the cosmos. In this study, the brain is conceived to be embedded in a holographic structured field that interacts with resonant sensitive structures in the various cell types in our body.”

Essentially, Dr. Dirk K.F. Meijer, a professor at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands, hypothesizes that consciousness resides in a field surrounding the brain in another dimension. The entire body is a conduit and a collaborator with consciousness as a feedback loop..."

Consciousness Doesn’t Reside in the Brain: New Theory or Old News? | HuffPost

The mind is not
The mind is simply one of the functions of the brain. Just as is the subconscious and the automated functions. You can no more separate it from the physical components and processes of your brain than you can separate the renal functions from the kidneys.

I can change your personality with a few ounces of ethyl alcohol. I can remove part of your forebrain and make you lose your inhibitions. I can remove part of your temporal lobe and make you forget how to speak English.

So yes, your mind is just part of your brain. And it dies when the brain dies. Forever. Just as you no longer perform renal functions when your kidneys die.

All the mind stuff is just the electrical impulses flowing between the neurons in the physical brain. When the physical brain dies, the mind is gone. It ceases to exist.

images

Flora has no CNS, their spirit the same as Fauna is metaphysical the same as physiology is a metaphysical substance both of which combine in the beginning to give life to all beings.
Well thank you for that utterly useless information.
Well thank you for that utterly useless information.

images

and what do you ascribe for their behavior, ff.
Selection by physical laws, of course. And my explanation actually explains things and provides useful predictions. Your metaphysical hooha does neither of these things and is useless information.

That is why you have to sit around and wait for my explanation to explain things to you, then toss your metaphysical poo all over it after the fact.
you did not answer my question ...

images

- and what do you ascribe for their behavior, ff.

The mind is not

images

Physiology and psychology began the evisceration of metaphysics with the end of the Dark Ages. In a similar way the development of the scientific method and the consensus it brings, combined with the academic and intellectual freedoms of the Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment, left less and less room for literal interpretations of any creation stories.

How odd then that individuals have asked the question "why am I me" prior to the development of competing philosophical or religious perspectives. And the diversity of mutually incompatible answers to that question presented by those many different philosophical and religious perspectives should be, among other things, your first hint that there may be no actual answer to the question.

Or at least, a hint that great confidence in your own answer is probably foolish.

“Why” questions presume the intention of a volitional actor responsible for the effect being considered. If there is no volitional actor involved, there is no “why.” There is only “how.”

To get the right answers, you must first ask the right questions.
Physiology and psychology began the evisceration of metaphysics with the end of the Dark Ages.

physiology, the physical component of life is itself a metaphysical substance not native to planet Earth but to the Universe wherever it may reside and disappears when its spiritual content is removed.

I’ll have to admit I don’t know what the above is supposed to mean.

As to employing metaphysics to explain anything, I would instead opt for science as a means to an end primarily because as a member of the natural universe, we can most correctly assess natural realities as empirically supported. While there are so-far unanswered questions, (in science and nature alike), these questions do not leap frog out of the physical and into the metaphysical at any point. Even in analogies where reality doesn't behave quite like we expected it to (quantum mechanics for instance), the theist is just as shackled to that reality as is the scientist.

In making sense of the natural world, the “metaphysisist” has to assume a lot more than just an irrational frame of reference. He has to postulate natural reality is also evidence of the supernatural (thereby hopelessly blurring what is meant by "natural" and "supernatural"), and he also has to assume the supernatural is somehow accurate in its perception of the metaphysical. The “metaphysisist” is further burdened by appealing to a worldview where reality isn't cohesive-- a reality in which worlds are created by thoughts, seas part, dead men rise and "ascend to heaven" and so on. And to do this he must assume the a priori nature of logic as well.

That sounds like schizophrenia.

you did not answer my question ..
I certainly did, and I'll answer it again:

Selection by physical laws.

That concept both explains that flower and successfully predicts mimicry in nature.

while you're metaphysical nonsense explains nothing and yields no useful predictions whatsoever.

If God (whatever or whoever that may be) is within all of us and God is infinite then maybe we are infinite. And this brief time walking around in a meat suit on Earth is perhaps a learning experience before returning to the infinite plain.
Maybe...too bad we will never know...

He said "infinite plain." If there is a second life,then you should know.

I can't. It seems like a reasonable determination.

What about the mind/brain still working? What do you think -- that it eventually stop..p..p....p...........s?

The brain and the mind are two completely different things. Your brain will cease to function one day. It's degradable.
Your mind never ceases to exist. It never ages. It is on eternal time. It's why people say, " It seems like yesterday that I..."
Do you believe that the infinite mind is essentially the "soul" or is that something else?

That's a great question.

I have no explanation for "spirits" or the "soul" because the soul remains undemonstrated. I have no properties and characteristics for that which does not exist. I do have a comment about personality, and where that comes from. The sense of self is a higher brain function and it's seen in comparably lesser degrees in lesser animals (i.e., humans are not the only creatures with a sense of "self"). This in and of itself is enough to prove that "selfhood" is a natural phenomenon of higher brain functions. Either that, or your gods have made monkeys and men with a soul each, and that means humans are not the especial creation of god. Language, nurturing, survival, industry, and even environmental control all can be attributed to animals lesser on the sentience strat than man, which is a great case for man being of and a part of the natural world-- no gods needed.

Personality is a phenomenon of the brain. Remove sections of the brain and the "self" changes as well. Apparently the eternal "soul" is at the mercy of a few pounds of grey jelly, because the soul cannot override the impact to the brain and the change in personality that attends that impact. The soul must be fairly weak.

This is a perfectly valid explanation for emotions, and it doesn't require the mumbo-jumbo of gods to explain it.

Non-material concepts are not fully non-material. You need a brain to substantiate them. Damage or impact to the brain directly affects the development and delivery of the concepts. You are simply assuming a spiritual nature for these things, and not submitting any case to support it. I am submitting they are the effects of the brain along with neurons and chemicals within the brain, and I can demonstrate how they can be manipulated by physical impact.

By way of example, I can

1. end all thought by killing that brain
2. create an emotion by chemical inducement of that brain
3. limit the thought and emotion of the brain by removing sections of it.

All the poetry about feelings and spirit and so on -- reside only in the brain. Remove it, and away it all goes. All of it. Even belief in gods.

late edit - I saw your recent post and made some changes.
Those are excellent explanations of how during biological life the brain is indeed the master of the mind. It does not follow necessarily that because the brain was the master of the mind during biological life it is also the master after death.

As for my question about a soul, it was just that. I remember it was a central concept in my religious upbringing but it always confused me what it was. And still does. But I do believe there is something beyond the physical life we know and I'm also sure I don't understand that either. I just believe it's there. That runs counter to my training as an engineer, but so be it.

It does not follow necessarily that because the brain was the master of the mind during biological life it is also the master after death.
Of course it follows. Do you also think your liver may be removing toxins from your bloodstream in the afterlife? Come on.

Every thought, experience, memory, and emotion you have ever had are all just physical processes.

It does not follow necessarily that because the brain was the master of the mind during biological life it is also the master after death.
Of course it follows. Do you also think your liver may be removing toxins from your bloodstream in the afterlife? Come on.

Every thought, experience, memory, and emotion you have ever had are all just physical processes.
It is not possible for you or anyone to prove that a mind/consciousness/soul(?) extinguishes along with the death of the brain. And what about emotions and personality? Why is one baby different than the next? I could tell immediately that both my sons were totally different within days after they were born. Were they processing experiences or just being them?

No it does not follow because no living person can know the answer to that. Can you tell me what happens to you when you enter a Black Hole? No. You can give me a rational argument about how you will be pulled to bits before you ever enter it, but you still don't know.

The largest study ever done on the subject, scientists discover your mind continues to exist even after your heart and your brain cease to function.

Hello God. :)

Death just became even more scary: scientists say people are aware they’re dead because their consciousness continues to work after the body has stopped showing signs of life.

That means that, theoretically, someone may even hear their own death being announced by medics.
The mind still works after you're dead, say scientists

You are made in the image of your Father. You are eternal. The only thing scary about death is location, location, location. Make your reservations today. Christ is the key to your next abode.

Really don't care what a few scientists think. It is very likely your consciousness continues if not your soul, but I wouldn't call that your mind. Your mind is your ego, and that is an identity with this body and life which is temporary. Based on a massive body of evidence and study of this for thousands of years, it is most likely your soul and in some capacity, your consciousness, survives and goes on from life to life to live again, building on its past successes, or paying for past mistakes moving up or down the ladder to live again in human or lower form or hopefully move up and out finally from the cycle of rebirth into the Kingdom of God.

The largest study ever done on the subject, scientists discover your mind continues to exist even after your heart and your brain cease to function.

Death just became even more scary: scientists say people are aware they’re dead because their consciousness continues to work after the body has stopped showing signs of life.

That means that, theoretically, someone may even hear their own death being announced by medics.

You are made in the image of your Father. You are eternal. The only thing scary about death is location, location, location. Make your reservations today. Christ is the key to your next abode.

Really don't care what a few scientists think. It is very likely your consciousness continues if not your soul, but I wouldn't call that your mind. Your mind is your ego, and that is an identity with this body and life which is temporary. Based on a massive body of evidence and study of this for thousands of years, it is most likely your soul and in some capacity, your consciousness, survives and goes on from life to life to live again, building on its past successes, or paying for past mistakes moving up or down the ladder to live again in human or lower form or hopefully move up and out finally from the cycle of rebirth into the Kingdom of God.

Most people live many lives and die many deaths during the life cycle of just one body.

If a person doesn't move up the ladder of life and enter the kingdom of God while they have a body, how can they do it without one?

Remember? Jesus ascended bodily into heaven and disappeared. You are supposed to follow him.

If you just sit around waiting for Jesus to save you from every challenge in this life, while lighting candles and praying for divine favors, you are going nowhere but down and death will not provide any relief.

Last edited:
Maybe...too bad we will never know...

He said "infinite plain." If there is a second life,then you should know.

I can't. It seems like a reasonable determination.

What about the mind/brain still working? What do you think -- that it eventually stop..p..p....p...........s?

The brain and the mind are two completely different things. Your brain will cease to function one day. It's degradable.
Your mind never ceases to exist. It never ages. It is on eternal time. It's why people say, " It seems like yesterday that I..."
Do you believe that the infinite mind is essentially the "soul" or is that something else?

That's a great question.

I have no explanation for "spirits" or the "soul" because the soul remains undemonstrated. I have no properties and characteristics for that which does not exist. I do have a comment about personality, and where that comes from. The sense of self is a higher brain function and it's seen in comparably lesser degrees in lesser animals (i.e., humans are not the only creatures with a sense of "self"). This in and of itself is enough to prove that "selfhood" is a natural phenomenon of higher brain functions. Either that, or your gods have made monkeys and men with a soul each, and that means humans are not the especial creation of god. Language, nurturing, survival, industry, and even environmental control all can be attributed to animals lesser on the sentience strat than man, which is a great case for man being of and a part of the natural world-- no gods needed.

Personality is a phenomenon of the brain. Remove sections of the brain and the "self" changes as well. Apparently the eternal "soul" is at the mercy of a few pounds of grey jelly, because the soul cannot override the impact to the brain and the change in personality that attends that impact. The soul must be fairly weak.

This is a perfectly valid explanation for emotions, and it doesn't require the mumbo-jumbo of gods to explain it.

Non-material concepts are not fully non-material. You need a brain to substantiate them. Damage or impact to the brain directly affects the development and delivery of the concepts. You are simply assuming a spiritual nature for these things, and not submitting any case to support it. I am submitting they are the effects of the brain along with neurons and chemicals within the brain, and I can demonstrate how they can be manipulated by physical impact.

By way of example, I can

1. end all thought by killing that brain
2. create an emotion by chemical inducement of that brain
3. limit the thought and emotion of the brain by removing sections of it.

All the poetry about feelings and spirit and so on -- reside only in the brain. Remove it, and away it all goes. All of it. Even belief in gods.

late edit - I saw your recent post and made some changes.
Those are excellent explanations of how during biological life the brain is indeed the master of the mind. It does not follow necessarily that because the brain was the master of the mind during biological life it is also the master after death.

As for my question about a soul, it was just that. I remember it was a central concept in my religious upbringing but it always confused me what it was. And still does. But I do believe there is something beyond the physical life we know and I'm also sure I don't understand that either. I just believe it's there. That runs counter to my training as an engineer, but so be it.

Whether or not there is a “soul” that survives after death is beyond my ability to answer affirmatively. I don’t believe there is such a thing but I don’t know absolutely.

I think that arguments for souls and spirits existing in some afterlife can be resolved by describing one of the various dynamics that motivates religious beliefs: The deep seated fear of dying, fear of the unknown and a desire to experience our lives. Perhaps not everyone shares those feeling, perhaps not everyone can. Nature has preprogrammed successful animals with a desire to survive, and once you add our ability to have a sentient perception of death, you have a formula for a more deep seated fear (at least, one that can be expressed by doing something more than just fleeing, like all other animals do. The best way to ameliorate such fear is to actively be involved in making our lives meaningful and relevant. The onus is on us, not a hope for some form of eternal existence.

That’s odd because it isn’t the fear of dying which motivates me to do the right things the right way for the right reasons. It’s the joy I get from doing the right things the right way for the right reasons.

It’s my relationship with the creator of existence which brings joy to my life, not my death.

Most people live many lives and die many deaths during the life cycle of just one body.

If a person doesn't move up the ladder of life and enter the kingdom of God while they have a body, how can they do it without one?

Remember? Jesus ascended bodily into heaven and disappeared. You are supposed to follow him.

If you just sit around waiting for Jesus to save you from every challenge in this life, while lighting candles and praying for divine favors, you are going nowhere but down and death will not provide any relief.
You are already dead.

You are already dead.

If I was dead I would be confined to a tomb full of dead mens bones and corruption singing the praises of an almighty yet edible triune mangod that never existed with the spiders, rats, mice, maggots, and creepy things that creep.

You are already dead.

If I was dead I would be confined to a tomb full of dead mens bones and corruption singing the praises of an almighty yet edible triune mangod that never existed with the spiders, rats, mice, maggots, and creepy things that creep.
I can tell from the hatred in your posts that your life has no flavor. It’s easy to spot.

It is very likely your consciousness continues if not your soul, but I wouldn't call that your mind. Your mind is your ego, and that is an identity with this body and life which is temporary.

I was taught to take care of my "mind, body and soul." The mind includes the consciousness, ego, id, superego, thoughts, dreams, memories, what's right vs wrong, worldview and more. The brain tells you that you want an hot fudge sundae. The mind tells you to watch your diet or not eat too many sweets. Today, people are screwed up because secular leftists think and have said people are intrinsically good -- that left to their own brain they will do good, but the Christians know better.

It is not possible for you or anyone to prove that a mind/consciousness/soul(?) extinguishes along with the death of the brain.
It's also not possible to prove that no dog in the world waits until it's people leave the house, then puts on reading glasses and sits at the table, reading the newspaper and drinking coffee. So that is the standard you have set and met . Not very compelling.

And what about emotions and personality? Why is one baby different than the next?
Because no two humans are identical. Not even "identical" twins. The same goes for any two individuals of just about any species. Does a dandelion also persist after death? It is different than every other dandelion in the yard .
No it does not follow because no living person can know the answer to that.
Saying we don't know the answer to something with certainty does not mean it does not logically follow from what we do know. Saying something follows from what we know is not the same thing as saying we know it for a fact. Those are two different concepts, and you are mistakenly conflating them.

Forum List

Back