What happens to you when you die?

Can the doctors, neuroscientists and whatever give or do something to you to control your thoughts, experiences, memory and emotions?
Who needs doctors? I can alter those things with about 5 ounces of ethyl alcohol. Meet me at the bar, and I'll show you. I'm buying.

Every thought, experience, memory, and emotion you have ever had are all just physical processes.

That's interesting. Can the doctors, neuroscientists and whatever give or do something to you to control your thoughts, experiences, memory and emotions?
There are a host of drugs used in psychiatric medicine designed to do exactly as you describe.

If a person doesn't move up the ladder of life and enter the kingdom of God while they have a body, how can they do it without one?

Sorry, but no. While in bodily form, you are tied to the Earth and material attachment. One advances or declines spiritually between lives depending on the actions of your past life. Only a very advanced person leaves the cycle of birth and death to rise to the Kingdom of God.

Remember? Jesus ascended bodily into heaven and disappeared. You are supposed to follow him.

Jesus was Jesus. Are you Jesus? What you are supposed to do and what you WILL do are two different things. Few of us have led the pure life of Jesus.

If you just sit around waiting for Jesus to save you from every challenge in this life, while lighting candles and praying for divine favors, you are going nowhere but down and death will not provide any relief.

I don't sit around waiting on Jesus for anything. I'm not a Christian though I was born one. But while Jesus was supposed to have died to have your sins forgiven, I agree that certainly doesn't give license to anyone to live recklessly. The laws of karma still apply.

Sorry, but no. While in bodily form, you are tied to the Earth and material attachment. One advances or declines spiritually between lives depending on the actions of your past life.

Nah. One advances or declines spiritually depending on their actions in this life and those actions are dictated by the thoughts that are nurtured in the mind whether clean or unclean, good or evil.

Jesus was Jesus. Are you Jesus? What you are supposed to do and what you WILL do are two different things. Few of us have led the pure life of Jesus.

Jesus ran around partying with sinners and prostitutes and kept company with all sorts of bad characters.

I'm doing great!

I don't sit around waiting on Jesus for anything. I'm not a Christian though I was born one. But while Jesus was supposed to have died to have your sins forgiven, I agree that certainly doesn't give license to anyone to live recklessly. The laws of karma still apply.

Jesus didn't die so that sins may be forgiven. He was executed as a seditious drunk inciting insurrection and spewing what sounded like irrational hubris.

Sin is disobedience to the law. Jesus taught the only right way to comply with divine instruction that fulfills the promise of life for all those who do it removing the burden of the law which is the curse, the death consequent for failure to conform to the instruction of the law.

And yes, the laws of karma, the hidden subject of the law which is really about cause and effect, not crime and punishment, still apply.

Based on a massive body of evidence and study of this for thousands of years
Not a shred of such evidence exists . Study? What study? Some aesthetic monks, sitting around thinking? Or scientific study?

I know it's hard for You tO see yoUR A Frequent UnappreCiated KING of IDIOms and Things, but 5,000 years of all religions coming to the same basic conclusions independently is pretty hard to miss.

That is, if you have half a brain. You don't.

but 5,000 years of all religions coming to the same basic conclusions independently is pretty hard to miss.
Which never happened and is laughable horseshit just made up by you. Ask a Hindu, or a Taoist.

Furthermore, humans share a lot of traits, not least of which is the affinity for superstition amd the vulnerability to being fooled. So to say that most humans tend to believe magical nonsense certainly is not support for the truth of that magical nonsense. 100% of humans used to believe lightning was caused by angry sky spirits. Well, guess what...it ain't.

The largest study ever done on the subject, scientists discover your mind continues to exist even after your heart and your brain cease to function.

Hello God. :)

Death just became even more scary: scientists say people are aware they’re dead because their consciousness continues to work after the body has stopped showing signs of life.

That means that, theoretically, someone may even hear their own death being announced by medics.
The mind still works after you're dead, say scientists

You are made in the image of your Father. You are eternal. The only thing scary about death is location, location, location. Make your reservations today. Christ is the key to your next abode.

You've been taken in by all the stories told over the years.people HAD to have SOMETHING to believe in to make them feel good about what they are doing here and what there is to look forward to so they turned to stories like this that had to be popular for them to believe in. there is no evidence whatsoever there is ahigher power. the argument I always hear as the rebuttal is how did we get here or how did this planet evolve. study evolution.makes far more sense.

the world is too fucked up for their to be a god.i knew that ever since i was a kid despite how my parents MADE me go to church and study the bible. after i got to wher i was an adult and they could not rule my life anymore,i did some digging and evolution is the answer to that. when you die,you come back reincarnated later on.there is no hell or heaven.not in the sense that every religious person thinks of anyways. the only kind of heaven there is the kind when you say-I am so much in heaven. Hell is having so many health problems and you can cure them and you wish you were dead.THAT is hell.

I'm sure it's all magical nonsense to you like a cellphone would be to a neolithic cave man.
With the key difference being, I can hand a caveman a cell phone and show it exists and works. And any two people would be forced to agree on both.. meanwhile, no two of you faithy types can agree on a single bit of this magical nonsense. That's what results, when you have no good method of discerning truth from nonsense.

I'm sure it's all magical nonsense to you like a cellphone would be to a neolithic cave man.
With the key difference being, I can hand a caveman a cell phone and show it exists and works. And any two people would be forced to agree on both.. meanwhile, no two of you faithy types can agree on a single bit of this magical nonsense. That's what results, when you have no good method of discerning truth from nonsense.

Invalid argument as always because you're comparing apples and oranges. Spiritually is totally inward and personal, the extreme opposite of a piece of plastic and silicon. If you're trying to say religion is invalidated because you can't hold it in your hand, measure it with a ruler, that is about the stupidest, most obtuse argument I've ever heard. You're basically saying that anything not concrete you cannot determine with your overt 5 senses then must not exist. Might as well argued the existence of other galaxies with a man from the 18th century, or even radio waves. There not being an outward, overt way of seeing these things made them no less valid. Likewise, you are once again an arrogant total fail because you dare say like the blind man who has never seen a cloud that because YOU cannot determine something's reality, you deny it's existence to all others even if they see its reality themselves.

e7973c279cde07a5ebcbc23c9d6ad04d.gif

Actually, you CAN'T hand a caveman a cellphone and show him that it works. It doesn't exist in his world. He has no common basis of reference in order to understand it. He may see it, but would, like you with religion, misinterpret it as evil, have no idea what it actually is, far beyond his ken, smash it out of fear, then probably kill you as an evil spirit. Hell, he might do that just for your having white skin. Where you get the idea that no two "faithy" types can agree, I don't know---- probably from talking to people on social media who say much more than they typically know and the fact that in common society today, few people are as serious or deep about their faith as they once were. Probably from being persecuted for it by buttholes like you, that it just BUGS you so much because YOU DON'T GET IT.

So you try to dismiss all religion and spiritual belief as just primitive, backward superstition. Pretty easy to ignore then, eh? When it comes to the specific details of real religion between religious scholars and true adherents (vedic scientists, monks, etc.), there is little disagreement as to the purport of this canto or that. The mechanisms are well understood. Likewise with the Koran. Some of this stuff was passed down for generations by word of mouth with little variation. Ask any ayatollahs or imams and I don't think you'll find too much argument as to what Mohammad meant by this or that. Where you get the disagreement is when you delve out into the loose, radical factions who wish to reinvent things to serve their own political ends. When it comes to the Bible, there may be some slight interpretive differences of the books, but the conclusions as to their meaning and significance don't vary much between Bishops and the like. You know nothing about religion, you've never had a religious experience, never mentored under a guru or priest, imam or the like and you think you can understand it and debate and refute it because you read some articles on the web. o_O

Jesus didn't die so that sins may be forgiven. He was executed as a seditious drunk inciting insurrection and spewing what sounded like irrational hubris.
Just today you were singing a different tune :lol:

Can't keep your lies straight?

Can the doctors, neuroscientists and whatever give or do something to you to control your thoughts, experiences, memory and emotions?
Who needs doctors? I can alter those things with about 5 ounces of ethyl alcohol. Meet me at the bar, and I'll show you. I'm buying.

Haha as long as we don't discuss religion and science. I'm not going to underestimate the layman in what they can do to f-themselves up, forget about troubles/pain relief and have a good time.

The AMA has/can only do what exists physically because they probably will have to defend lawsuits in court in regards to medicine prescribed and what it treats and back it up. They also have to cover any surgery, treatment or physical therapy or exercise recommended for fixing injuries and recovery. I suppose they would be hesitant to treat the mind or anything metaphysical so it ends up in social science. Neuroscience is a relatively new field and its made some great strides. I suppose they're in the medical treatment, recovery and pain relief business, too, but I'm not sure what it all entails.

Just today you were singing a different tune :lol:

Can't keep your lies straight?

lol....how does that conflict with either what was written or anything that I have said before?

What different tune do you think you heard?

Every thought, experience, memory, and emotion you have ever had are all just physical processes.

That's interesting. Can the doctors, neuroscientists and whatever give or do something to you to control your thoughts, experiences, memory and emotions?
There are a host of drugs used in psychiatric medicine designed to do exactly as you describe.

Psychiatric medicine is social science and not hard science. I am assuming they are treating your mind and not the brain. For example, if one has anger management issues. You have to sign a waiver for treatment and it's not all certain to work. I suppose you're a guinea pig in a way. The psychiatrist can prescribe psychotropic medicine -- List of psychotropic medications - Wikipedia -- and their treatment is more experimental. More extreme cases would be in-patient or treated at a hospital. More mild could be outpatient. Anyway, I question your claim that it is "designed to do exactly as you describe" or as I want or what the psychiatrist wants. I would think that they give you chemicals and then see how you react and whether there were any side effects. Then adjust accordingly with the treatment if it is helping or move on to some other chemical treatment. Yet, I would agree that some would benefit from the chemical therapy.

Invalid argument as always because you're comparing apples and oranges.
But you are the one who made the comparison, and i just pointed out why it's not valid. A simple.concept: evidence.

Spiritually is totally inward and personal, the extreme opposite of a piece of plastic and silicon
I certainly don't disagree. That being the case, it's probably best kept to one's self. That is, if that one doesn't want it criticized or ridiculed. And definitely stay away from insisting upon the truth of it.

Okay, deal!

The AMA has/can only do what exists physically because they probably will have to defend lawsuits in court in regards to medicine prescribed and what it treats and back it up.
Because they use science based medicine. I.E., medicine. There is no such thing as "alternative medicine". There is "medicine" and there is "not medicine", and this is decided on the evidence.

Forum List

Back