"What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas"

PainefulTruth

Romantic Cynic
Sep 28, 2013
Arizona
(This is both a political and moral subject, so I shamelessly put it here cause this forum is seen by more people.
20867d1366828209-quick-question-making-windows-8-bootable-uefi-dvd-3476d1350236208t-ics-apk-files-emoticon_rolleyes.gif
)

We've all heard that famous and very effective 10 year old tagline of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. What is it promoting, freedom...in "Sin" City? Yes, but is that the whole story--freedom from what and what does that mean? The ads don't say but they imply three things: freedom to gamble, sexual freedom and, though they'd never say so, the freedom to use drugs. But aren't those things immoral? Who says? According to The Paineful Truth's Golden Rule of adult morality, Morality is the equal rights of all to their life, liberty, property and self-defense to be free from violation through force or fraud. It's corollary is: All immorality is the result of a moral/legal double standard.

So then should any of those three freedoms be illegal everywhere, including Vegas? The answer is a resounding "No!", they shouldn't be illegal anywhere, though with an equally resounding "But..."

Look at gambling. It's the wellspring that made an otherwise barren desert bloom. The fear was, and it happened initially, that it would draw organized crime. But then what happened. Organized crime thrives on black markets. Las Vegas and Nevada ripped the advantage for crime out from under it and they turned ligit. It's a microscopic experiment in gambling like the one they had against alcohol, Prohibition, on a national level, which was undermining law and order until they repealed it. Alcohol wasn't evil, its black market was.

What about sex? Other than the unstated result of encouraging the immorality of the fraudulent breaking marriage vows, I see no problem.....consenting adults and all that. But around the country most of those prohibitions have fallen by the wayside. The glaring remnant of course, even in Vegas, is prostitution. Why is it illegal there? It's legal in the state so....wtf? The authorities' policy of don't ask, don't tell allows it to thrive there, but it's still a black market, undermining the law and corrupting officials, which is immoral. Why not legalize it like most of the rest of Nevada, which as far as I know, doesn't suffer for it? In fact it promotes keeping it clean both morally and medically.

Then there's the U.S. black market in drugs which is the biggest of any kind ever in the history of the World. They're illegal on the federal level as well as state and local. It's Prohibition II on a level the first one never imagined. It not only corrupts all of those governments, as the current movie, The Counselor, shows so well, it's turned much of Mexico into a country so rife with primitive, reptilian evil, only souls that are already dead participate in it. As Brad Pitt's character says, "You might want to think about that the next time you do a line". Would that black market dry up if they legalized it? In a heartbeat. Then why don't we do it? Do-gooders and the ones who are benefiting by the War on Drugs--a war that was started as a replacement for Prohibition I to keep the money flowing. Nobody ever asked (except a few like me), why they didn't pass a constitutional amendment for the War on Drugs (Prohibition II) like they did for Prohibition I. That was the beginning of the end for the Constitution, but that's another thread.

Are any of these three freedoms immoral? Not on their own, but the black market in them is. That's why I would not partake, but also why I ally myself with other libertarians who want to bring a halt to black markets by legalizing the victimless crimes that drive them. And yes they are victimless crimes. Any person who gets so drunk or high they harm others is never so drunk or high they don't know what they're doing--until they pass out, then they're not doing anything but maybe wetting themselves.

You might try shortening up your OP's.

Why do you consider drugs, prostitution, alcohol and gambling... victimless crimes, just wondering.

btw. you don't have to write a book, I have a limited attention span...

Why do you consider drugs, prostitution, alcohol and gambling... victimless crimes, just wondering.

I agree a little too long. I think if it were just said that he wanted to: Gamble on STDs by screwing a legal whore while on drugs it would have covered this topic.

I agree a little too long. I think if it were just said that he wanted to: Gamble on STDs by screwing a legal whore while on drugs it would have covered this topic.
So true.

Are any of these three freedoms immoral? Not on their own, but the black market in them is. That's why I would not partake, but also why I ally myself with other libertarians who want to bring a halt to black markets by legalizing the victimless crimes that drive them. And yes they are victimless crimes. Any person who gets so drunk or high they harm others is never so drunk or high they don't know what they're doing--until they pass out, then they're not doing anything but maybe wetting themselves.

There is no such thing as a victimless crime. In the case of drug abuse or prostitution or gambling, they erode the fabric of society. Not one of those activities increases the well-being of a person, but all are common factors in the destruction of people for all of history. War will kill your body, indulging in delites of the flesh will rot your spirit.

The Vegas tag line encourages illicit activities without guilt, including breaking marriage vows. We've all seen the ads. I suppose that attracts certain people without scruples, but for those of us who take our vows seriously, it's repulsive. The destruction of moral fiber has led to the destruction of the nuclear family, hence the disgusting pit of despair that our society has become. Hooray for liberty.

Sometimes they are, but this needed to be longer. Don't guess you read far enough to make a relative comment?

There is no such thing as a victimless crime.

Well, if it is an actual crime, you're right.

In the case of drug abuse or prostitution or gambling, they erode the fabric of society.

For these, as with alcohol and other obsessive behaviors, the only crimes derive from their excess, and if the user can't maintain control, he must be prosecuted. Does alcohol erode the fabric of society? To a degree, yes, but nowhere near like the black market in their use does. And instead of pouring massive amounts of money down their ineffective, respective law enforcement rabbit holes, put a tenth of it into education and rehabilitation. The picture would be much brighter and we'd be much freer.

Freedom, after all, is the right to be as dumb as you want--on your own dime.

Not one of those activities increases the well-being of a person, but all are common factors in the destruction of people for all of history. War will kill your body, indulging in delites of the flesh will rot your spirit.

Only if you become obsessed with them. You're preaching your values, your virtues, based on your (religious?) opinions. Virtue is not morality and is individually determined, although they are subject to public opinion.

The Vegas tag line encourages illicit activities without guilt, including breaking marriage vows. We've all seen the ads. I suppose that attracts certain people without scruples, but for those of us who take our vows seriously, it's repulsive. The destruction of moral fiber has led to the destruction of the nuclear family, hence the disgusting pit of despair that our society has become. Hooray for liberty.

I already mentioned the marriage vows thing, and I agree it shouldn't be encouraged. What's with your disparaging attitude toward freedom? What do you suggest, despotism, anarchy, theocracy?

The nuclear family has always suffered from the irrational teachings of religion. If you're saved you don't have to be good, according to Pauline Christianity, instead of working for genuine repentance. And the Great (welfare) Society comes at the family from the other direction.

The divorce courts are full couples who believed they were fated, meant to be or soul mates (blind faith if you will), instead of looking at each other with rational minds as well as their emotions before they got married...and had children. :mad:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back