What happened to the Republican Party I joined?

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
All of the new Oklahoma laws aimed at limiting abortion and contraception are great for the Republican family that lives in a gingerbread house with a two-car garage, two planned kids and a dog. In the real world, they are less than perfect.

As a practicing physician (who never has or will perform an abortion), I deal with the real world. In the real world, 15- and 16-year-olds get pregnant (sadly, 12-, 13- and 14-year-olds do also). In the real world, 62 percent of women ages 20 to 24 who give birth are unmarried. And in the world I work and live in, an unplanned pregnancy can throw up a real roadblock on a woman's path to escaping the shackles of poverty.

Yet I cannot convince my Republican colleagues that one of the best ways to eliminate abortions is to ensure access to contraception. A recent attempt by my fellow lawmakers to prevent Medicaid dollars from covering the “morning after” pill is a case in point. Denying access to this important contraceptive is a sure way to increase legal and back-alley abortions. Moreover, such a law would discriminate against low-income women who depend on Medicaid for their health care.

But wait, some lawmakers want to go even further and limit everyone's access to birth control by allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for contraception.

What happened to the Republican Party that I joined? The party where conservative presidential candidate Barry Goldwater felt women should have the right to control their own destiny? The party where President Ronald Reagan said a poor person showing up in the emergency room deserved needed treatment regardless of ability to pay? What happened to the Republican Party that felt government should not overregulate people until (as we say in Oklahoma) “you have walked a mile in their moccasins”?

State Rep. Doug Cox: The GOP and abortion legislation | News OK

...and what happened to accountability and personal responsibility??

Well, Doc???

That's what I thought....

Is my thinking too clouded by my experiences in the real world? Experiences like having a preacher, in the privacy of an exam room say, “Doc, you have heard me preach against abortion but now my 15-year-old daughter is pregnant, where can I send her?” Or maybe it was that 17-year-old foreign exchange student who said, “I really made a mistake last night. Can you prescribe a morning-after pill for me? If I return to my home country pregnant, life as I know it will be over.”

What happened to the Republican Party that felt that the government has no business being in an exam room, standing between me and my patient? Where did the party go that felt some decisions in a woman's life should be made not by legislators and government, but rather by the women, her conscience, her doctor and her God?

When did the Government take over paying for everything for women?

When are women ever going to be held responsible for their actions? The very same actions that men are held responsible for, even being sentenced to jail for living up to those responsibilities?

I don't remember Barry Goldwater saying that the women had the right to "free", tax payer supplied, contraceptives or that 12 year old should be able to get an abortion without her parents knowing about it.

BTW, unless I am totally wrong, the bill the pharmacists are asking for would allow them not to fulfill prescriptions for abortifacients, which cause the already implanted egg to abort if abortion is against their religious beliefs, not contraceptives.

Is my thinking too clouded by my experiences in the real world? Experiences like having a preacher, in the privacy of an exam room say, “Doc, you have heard me preach against abortion but now my 15-year-old daughter is pregnant, where can I send her?” Or maybe it was that 17-year-old foreign exchange student who said, “I really made a mistake last night. Can you prescribe a morning-after pill for me? If I return to my home country pregnant, life as I know it will be over.”

What happened to the Republican Party that felt that the government has no business being in an exam room, standing between me and my patient? Where did the party go that felt some decisions in a woman's life should be made not by legislators and government, but rather by the women, her conscience, her doctor and her God?

Well, Doc???

When are women ever going to be held responsible for their actions? The very same actions that men are held responsible for, even being sentenced to jail for living up to those responsibilities?

I don't remember Barry Goldwater saying that the women had the right to "free", tax payer supplied, contraceptives or that 12 year old should be able to get an abortion without her parents knowing about it.

BTW, unless I am totally wrong, the bill the pharmacists are asking for would allow them not to fulfill prescriptions for abortifacients, which cause the already implanted egg to abort if abortion is against their religious beliefs, not contraceptives.

Every dollar spent on publicly funded family planning saves taxpayers $4 in costs associated with unintended births to mothers eligible for Medicaid.

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term. Unwanted children are much more likely to be abused.

Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it was, the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

Every dollar spent on publicly funded family planning saves taxpayers $4 in costs associated with unintended births to mothers eligible for Medicaid.

Well, Doc???

Well, Doc???

What happened to the government staying out of women's business?

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term. Unwanted children are much more likely to be abused.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it was, the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

Then those 50% of women should have been thinking about what could happen when they jumped into bed with that guy they just met.

Personal responsibility. It applies to women also.

Never mind the vicious nonsense of claiming that an embryo has a “right to life.” A piece of protoplasm has no rights—and no life in the human sense of the term. One may argue about the later stages of a pregnancy, but the essential issue concerns only the first three months. To equate a potential with an actual, is vicious; to advocate the sacrifice of the latter to the former, is unspeakable. . . . Observe that by ascribing rights to the unborn, i.e., the nonliving, the anti-abortionists obliterate the rights of the living: the right of young people to set the course of their own lives. The task of raising a child is a tremendous, lifelong responsibility, which no one should undertake unwittingly or unwillingly. - Ayn Rand

...and what happened to ...and what happened to accountability and personal responsibility??

Well, Doc???

So you aren't going to answer the question???

you can't answer the question because you believe that accountability and personal responsibility are a problem for the masses...

Nothing happened to the republican party! We still believe in accountability and personal responsibility --- and when our children have children that are unintentional we halp our children the best we can and make sure they know that having a child is a BLESSING!

We can work through all of it --- just be accountable and responsible. If those lessons are taught growing up you will have a whole lot less "unintentional" presgnancies...

Behaviors have consequences --- Behave responsibly!!!

Chris..

Tell me something..

What do you say to men who complain about having to pay child support for a child whose mother they never were in love with, that they only liked to have sex with?

so what about accountability and personal responsibility???

Having an abortion when you are not ready to raise a child is the responsible thing to do.

Opposing women's reproductive rights is irresponsible.

You are irresponsible.

Granted there are factions in the Republican party who support the things you mention, but making a blanket statement like, "The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term." is like saying all Democrats support late-term abortions and frankly stupid.

Granted there are factions in the Republican party who support the things you mention, but making a blanket statement like, "The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term." is like saying all Democrats support late-term abortions and frankly stupid.

Not at all.

Anti abortion is the the Republican platform.

Well, Doc???

Today's Republican Party is notcher Daddy's Republican Party.

Mr.Conservative: "While I am a great believer in the free enterprise system and all that it entails, I am an even stronger believer in the right of our people to live in a clean and pollution-free environment."

"Today's so-called 'conservatives' don't even know what the word means. They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right. It's not a conservative issue at all."

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."

This is what happens when you have sex pre-marriage with idiots(stupid men) that don't want to be accountable. We live in a different world then we did 50 years ago....I'll agree with you on that, but couldn't birth control take care of 90% of this?

No a embryo isn't a human being...That's why birth control is ok.

Last edited:
so what about accountability and personal responsibility???

Having an abortion when you are not ready to raise a child is the responsible thing to do.

Opposing women's reproductive rights is irresponsible.

You are irresponsible.

You have it quite backwards.. Which is typical for a Left Winger..

I am all for responsibility and holding a person responsible for their actions and decisions.

Some people just never learn that the decision to do "This" may end up with them having to be responsible for "That".

You decided to drink and drive, you are responsible for killing that person in the car wreck you caused.

You decided to cheat on that test, you are responsible for getting yourself a "F" in that class.

You decided to have unprotected sex without taking birth control in advance, you are responsible for becoming pregnant.

Forum List

Back