What happened to the Republican Party I joined?

Chris,

Why are you not answering my question?

Hmmmm???

You aren't alone... Most liberals refuse to answer it when it is obvious that they are gonna get caught in their own trap when they do.

and I might add, Governor Lincoln Chafee and others, like Bob Dole etc, are firing warning shots over the bow of the Republican ship to warn people like yourself that unless you change your ways, the Republican Party will continue it's decline in popularity.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
What was Bob Dole most known for? Losing to Bill Clinton. Yeah, I'm gonna take his advice, and keep voting for candidates like him and John McCain.

Dr. Doug Cox (R-OK) has it right, just not crazy right -- "Until quite recently, Planned Parenthood wasn’t controversial among Republicans. It had a long history of conservative backing—Dwight Eisenhower once co-chaired the Planned Parenthood Federation along with Harry Truman, and Barry Goldwater championed it. It’s not surprising that Ann Romney once donated to the organization; lots of Republican women did. And pro-choice Republican women like [Nancy] Brinker were fairly common—even Laura Bush said she backed Roe v. Wade.

In recent years, though, Republicans have become much more absolutist in their opposition to abortion, which has bled over into family planning..."

Family planning? I hate that disingenuous bull crap...

Tax sponsored baby murders... Call it what it is!

I hate the liberal - lets come up with an alternative way to say something evil so it almost sounds like we are doing a good thing!

Look up!
Not surprisingly, the point of the thread just went right over your head. Dr. Doug Cox (R-OK) and-----and I might add, Governor Lincoln Chafee and others, like Bob Dole etc, are firing warning shots over the bow of the Republican ship to warn people like yourself that unless you change your ways, the Republican Party will continue it's decline in popularity.

Personally? -- I'd like to encourage you and other rightwing fringies to keep on keepin' on.

Bod Dole is still alive?

Having an abortion when you are not ready to raise a child is the responsible thing to do.

Opposing women's reproductive rights is irresponsible.

You are irresponsible.

So you have nothing?? just gonna try to twist your way into a legitimate argument...

Responsible is to either not have sex or have protected sex.... THAT IS RESPONSIBLE!!

I don't oppose womens reproductive rights. They have a right to own up to their behaviors, knowing that their actions have consequences....

You lose --- this entire thread is a joke!

We in Oklahoma will fight for accountability and personal responsibility. If you have an issue with it live with the fruits and nuts IN ANOTHER STATE!!!

Question..................wouldn't a form of "protected sex" (meaning you don't want to have children) include the morning after pill?

Or..................is it all just rubbers and rhythm?

I didn't see this Biker, sorry.

There are MANY birth control options that work just fine. No need to have a murder baby pill for te general public.

What happened to the government staying out of women's business?

I'm all for that, keep taxpayer money out of the contraceptive and abortion business.

Dr. Doug Cox (R-OK) has it right, just not crazy right -- "Until quite recently, Planned Parenthood wasn’t controversial among Republicans. It had a long history of conservative backing—Dwight Eisenhower once co-chaired the Planned Parenthood Federation along with Harry Truman, and Barry Goldwater championed it. It’s not surprising that Ann Romney once donated to the organization; lots of Republican women did. And pro-choice Republican women like [Nancy] Brinker were fairly common—even Laura Bush said she backed Roe v. Wade.

In recent years, though, Republicans have become much more absolutist in their opposition to abortion, which has bled over into family planning..."

Liberals want the same thing I want, government out of our sex lives. That means to me, totally out. I applaud those that make a personal choice to donate to organizations that they believe in. Good for Ann Romney, give money to what you believe in.

However, government has no business donating taxpayer money to fund charities.

I'm all for that, keep taxpayer money out of the contraceptive and abortion business.

Dwight Eisnehower and Barry Goldwater backed Planned Parenthood before it became an abortion mill.
Also, Harry S. Truman was a democrat.

Last edited:
50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term. Unwanted children are much more likely to be abused.

Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it was, the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.
Granted there are factions in the Republican party who support the things you mention, but making a blanket statement like, "The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term." is like saying all Democrats support late-term abortions and frankly stupid.

Not at all.

Anti abortion is the the Republican platform.

The pro-life amendment in the GOP platform would effectively outlaw all abortion.

...and what happened to ...and what happened to accountability and personal responsibility??

Well, Doc???

That's what I thought....

So you aren't going to answer the question???

you can't answer the question because you believe that accountability and personal responsibility are a problem for the masses...

Nothing happened to the republican party! We still believe in accountability and personal responsibility --- and when our children have children that are unintentional we halp our children the best we can and make sure they know that having a child is a BLESSING!

We can work through all of it --- just be accountable and responsible. If those lessons are taught growing up you will have a whole lot less "unintentional" presgnancies...

Behaviors have consequences --- Behave responsibly!!!

Guess what, I believe in personal responsibility too and I've taken some difficult measures to be responsible for myself. Unfortunately, statistics tell us that most people will fall short of that. You want to compound the problem by sticking with the strict-father paradigm? I've never understood what makes that so appealing to far right wingers.

When did the Government take over paying for everything for women?

When are women ever going to be held responsible for their actions? The very same actions that men are held responsible for, even being sentenced to jail for living up to those responsibilities?

I don't remember Barry Goldwater saying that the women had the right to "free", tax payer supplied, contraceptives or that 12 year old should be able to get an abortion without her parents knowing about it.

BTW, unless I am totally wrong, the bill the pharmacists are asking for would allow them not to fulfill prescriptions for abortifacients, which cause the already implanted egg to abort if abortion is against their religious beliefs, not contraceptives.

Every dollar spent on publicly funded family planning saves taxpayers $4 in costs associated with unintended births to mothers eligible for Medicaid.

You realize we don't need to spend either money, right?

When we outsource our responsibilities we give up our freedom. Stop trying to take liberty away from the people by lying to them.

Granted there are factions in the Republican party who support the things you mention, but making a blanket statement like, "The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term." is like saying all Democrats support late-term abortions and frankly stupid.

Not at all.

Anti abortion is the the Republican platform.

The pro-life amendment in the GOP platform would effectively outlaw all abortion.

And the world would be a much better place for it.

When did the Government take over paying for everything for women?

When are women ever going to be held responsible for their actions? The very same actions that men are held responsible for, even being sentenced to jail for living up to those responsibilities?

I don't remember Barry Goldwater saying that the women had the right to "free", tax payer supplied, contraceptives or that 12 year old should be able to get an abortion without her parents knowing about it.

BTW, unless I am totally wrong, the bill the pharmacists are asking for would allow them not to fulfill prescriptions for abortifacients, which cause the already implanted egg to abort if abortion is against their religious beliefs, not contraceptives.

nice deflection.

Most republicans are probably like me. VERY pro abortion, who became horrified at what abortion has become.

All of the new Oklahoma laws aimed at limiting abortion and contraception are great for the Republican family that lives in a gingerbread house with a two-car garage, two planned kids and a dog. In the real world, they are less than perfect.

As a practicing physician (who never has or will perform an abortion), I deal with the real world. In the real world, 15- and 16-year-olds get pregnant (sadly, 12-, 13- and 14-year-olds do also). In the real world, 62 percent of women ages 20 to 24 who give birth are unmarried. And in the world I work and live in, an unplanned pregnancy can throw up a real roadblock on a woman's path to escaping the shackles of poverty.

Yet I cannot convince my Republican colleagues that one of the best ways to eliminate abortions is to ensure access to contraception. A recent attempt by my fellow lawmakers to prevent Medicaid dollars from covering the “morning after” pill is a case in point. Denying access to this important contraceptive is a sure way to increase legal and back-alley abortions. Moreover, such a law would discriminate against low-income women who depend on Medicaid for their health care.

But wait, some lawmakers want to go even further and limit everyone's access to birth control by allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for contraception.

What happened to the Republican Party that I joined? The party where conservative presidential candidate Barry Goldwater felt women should have the right to control their own destiny? The party where President Ronald Reagan said a poor person showing up in the emergency room deserved needed treatment regardless of ability to pay? What happened to the Republican Party that felt government should not overregulate people until (as we say in Oklahoma) “you have walked a mile in their moccasins”?

State Rep. Doug Cox: The GOP and abortion legislation | News OK

The republican party now called the white christian party was hi jacked by bible thumping lunatics as Barry Goldwater warned about

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris,

In case you missed it the first time..

What do you say to the young man who just found out the woman he met at the party two months ago is pregnant and that he is the father and is going to paying her child support for the next 20 years or go to jail?

What about accountability and responsibility.

There has never been more access to birth control. No one has yet figured out a way to make men and women use that birth control.

I am always suspicious of people who say they used to be a republicans but now they're not. I feel the same way when people say they used to be democrats but now there not. Then they go on a typical partisan tirade while pretending they outgrew the party they were in. It's an old strategy. I'm also suspicious of people who claim to have prestigious jobs. I don't mean for one second that everybody is lying. I'm simply suspicious is all. When you wrote "Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse", the suspicion I have grows stronger. To use such exaggerated rhetoric weakens the rest of your argument and puts your professional claims in doubt.
I agree wholeheartedly. The caliber of posters claiming that are the likes of JoeB and Jake Starkey. In other words, the lowest of the low.

If more Republicans were like these guys, the GOP would be much better off.

The modern gop emerged from social libertarianism and fiscal conservatism. JFK to some degree, but certainly RFK and LBJ viewed govt as having a role in affectuating morality in racial and economic equality. Conservatives saw that as being a danger.

Beyond doubt, Reagan was a great potus, but he did take the party away from Goldwater. Perhaps with good reason and good intention, figuring that an end to the cold war would result in smaller govt, and that people of reason would find ways to compromise.

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term. Unwanted children are much more likely to be abused.

Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it was, the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

I am always suspicious of people who say they used to be a republicans but now they're not. I feel the same way when people say they used to be democrats but now there not. Then they go on a typical partisan tirade while pretending they outgrew the party they were in. It's an old strategy. I'm also suspicious of people who claim to have prestigious jobs. I don't mean for one second that everybody is lying. I'm simply suspicious is all. When you wrote "Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse", the suspicion I have grows stronger. To use such exaggerated rhetoric weakens the rest of your argument and puts your professional claims in doubt.
You're too nice, John. Chris is a fucking liar. No offense, Chris.

What kind of asshole accuses people with no proof?

Dwight Eisnehower and Barry Goldwater backed Planned Parenthood before it became an abortion mill.
Also, Harry S. Truman was a democrat.

Abortion Is Not Planned Parenthood's Central Purpose

97 percent of Planned Parenthood's services are not abortion. Attacks on Planned Parenthood are, by definition, largely attacks on non-abortion services. Attacks on Planned Parenthood's funding, regardless of claimed intent, are strictly attacks on contraception, STI testing/treatment, and cancer screenings.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PP_by_the_Numbers.pdf

Don't let facts get in the way of your ignorance

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly. The caliber of posters claiming that are the likes of JoeB and Jake Starkey. In other words, the lowest of the low.

If more Republicans were like these guys, the GOP would be much better off.
If more Republicans were like those feces, the Democrats would be the conservative party. You've got to understand, whining is more of a "progressive" thing.

Forum List

Back