What happened to Thanksgiving?

Am I alone in noticing that Thanksgiving seems to have been swept under the holiday rug?

Immediately after Halloween, and ever since, I've seen nothing but Christmas advertising and decorations.

Large retailers are hinting at opening on Thanksgiving to get a leg up on "Black Friday" sales.

It's just seeming that Thanksgiving is fading away.....

What can we do to make Thanksgiving "cool" again?

If I was a conspiracy-minded person, I'd think that it sounds too much like a prayer for the GP.....
Just thinking outloud. Don't jump on the "prayer" aspect too much.

Why aren't there any good Thanksgiving songs, anyway???

:eusa_eh:

What happened to Thanksgiving, you ask? Sadly, it went the way of family and tradition. And to help the economy, the Christmas holiday shopping season, needed more revenue to sustain their businesses so it started advertising earlier than usual, the past few years, and this also helped salvage or create JOBS.

"The holiday shopping season has traditionally been the biggest and most important period of the year for retailers, who count on sales during November and December to bring them into profitability.

"Recent years have seen the importance of holiday shopping decrease, Niemira said, as more retailers spread out deals and promotions over the rest of the year. Now, holiday sales account for, on average, less than 22 percent of a retailer's annual sales.:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_838fc607-8fe6-5748-bb08-ca16ae7f27f6.html

Will Christmas be the next tradition to go??? :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
It's all about the money

Not much money can be made off of thanksgiving except for the cost of a turkey dinner. Super Markets and restaurants make money, to other merchants it's an annoyance

Everything is about capital...

That is why you have food to eat, a computer to post on and material to wipe your ass with..

Remove reward (making money) from the scenario and you would have nothing because no one would have a reason to make the next computer, Ipod or Iphone..

Materialism created the internet, materialism created the cell phone - materialism was behind the industrial revolution for fucks sake - people need shit...

Those who disagree are communists... They want everything dictated and created by the government... Then you have brilliant minds shut down because there is no reward for the work...

We progress because their is a reward (profit) to progress - take that away and humanity will certainly degress...

You seriously need some counseling dude

I still refuse to hang any Christmas decorations or buy anything for Christmas until after Thanksgiving is over..........

Presents, I buy starting the day after Christmas....except for the candy I already have all my stocking stuffers.

I don't decorate until really close to Christmas. Usually after the 15th as it's my youngest son's birthday.

Am I alone in noticing that Thanksgiving seems to have been swept under the holiday rug?

Immediately after Halloween, and ever since, I've seen nothing but Christmas advertising and decorations.

Large retailers are hinting at opening on Thanksgiving to get a leg up on "Black Friday" sales.

If I was a conspiracy-minded person, I'd think that it sounds too much like a prayer for the GP.....

Tofurkey..... gluten free stuffing...sugar free fat free pumpkin pie...soy whipped cream.

That should do the trick!!! PC for everyone!!!

:puke3:

Please don't make me neg your ass

:razz:

laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif

Oh i forgot... margarine, alcohol free beer and non cheese cheese

What happened to Thanksgiving, you ask? Sadly, it went the way of family and tradition. And to help the economy, the Christmas holiday shopping season, needed more revenue to sustain their businesses so it started advertising earlier than usual, the past few years, and this also helped salvage or create JOBS.

"The holiday shopping season has traditionally been the biggest and most important period of the year for retailers, who count on sales during November and December to bring them into profitability.

"Recent years have seen the importance of holiday shopping decrease, Niemira said, as more retailers spread out deals and promotions over the rest of the year. Now, holiday sales account for, on average, less than 22 percent of a retailer's annual sales.:

Holiday sales to rise slightly - phillyBurbs.com : Money: retail, holiday spending, international council of shopping centers, national retail federation,

Will Christmas be the next tradition to go??? :eusa_whistle:

Christmas has been under attack for years, some people don't even say Merry Christmas anymore because they don't want to offend anyone. 4th of July is the next one to come under attack, people will try to make it offensive to celebrate like Colombus day.

Why don't some folks say Merry Christmas opting for Happy Holidays instead? Because there are plenty of holidays happening in December religious and secular. Not EVERYONE celebrates Christmas. Happy Holidays is a nice cover all. It's not intended to be an "attack" on Christmas, in spite of how ready the paranoid and fearful are to believe it.

But Christmas is still Christmas, no matter your own religion. When I was a teenager there was an older couple across the street, they were both Jewish who had lived through the holocaust. (The old man actually showed us his number tattoo once) They always brought over a Christmas card to our family and usually a couple of home made pies to go with it. (Of course we kids always made sure that their lawn was cut, leaves raked and snow shoveled) They also would wish everyone a Happy Chanukah. It's the season there is no reason for anyone to leave out the names or the reasons.....

I still have a problem calling "Happy Holidays" an "attack" on Christmas. Folks are still wishing happiness (hence the "Happy" part of Happy Holidays). It seems some people are just ready willing and able to get their shackles up when the aren't wished a "Merry Christmas" but "Happy Holidays" instead.

You'd think that someone drew a cartoon of the Prophet or something!

Thanksgiving is alive and well at my house, but it's mainly an excuse to eat too much and watch football all day. I don't think this is a modern development, we celebrated the same way when I was a kid (40+ years ago).

Why don't some folks say Merry Christmas opting for Happy Holidays instead? Because there are plenty of holidays happening in December religious and secular. Not EVERYONE celebrates Christmas. Happy Holidays is a nice cover all. It's not intended to be an "attack" on Christmas, in spite of how ready the paranoid and fearful are to believe it.

Christmas is a national holiday. I've got no problems with people saying "Happy Holidays" but when I say "Merry Christmas" I expect to get "Merry Christmas" back.

Christmas is a national holiday. I've got no problems with people saying "Happy Holidays" but when I say "Merry Christmas" I expect to get "Merry Christmas" back.
But do you perceive a "Happy Holidays" as an attack on Christmas?

Seems some folks are militant about Christmas. And that misses the point of Christmas altogether.

I'm a Jew. Wishing a Merry Christmas to a Christian is simply a polite return. Many times people do not know I'm Jewish and wish me a Merry Christmas.

I hope to have one as well. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Wanna discuss Christmas?
Find the "New Thread" button.
:razz:

If you don't want to give thanks to God, give thanks to your own hard work that got you where you are.

If you're not thankful, look around at those less fortunate

well i got the menu set.....got everything but a few small items....i am set for the thanksgiving day...well not set i have some things to get....hostess towels (paper) for the bathroom....
i am thinking tacky small decore' items lol

oooooooooooooo hell.....i havent got wine or liquor....damn that is gonna be pricey

and while i am giving myself a pat on the back for being nearly ready.....husband walks by and goes...you realize it is only 4 weeks or so till the solstice....panic sets in....

of course the solstice is just a big family meal like thanksgiving....then christmas .....3 days later......we celebrate on christmas eve...so 2 days.....then new years.....

pagans are inclusive celebrators

Forum List

Back