How Retailers Ruined Thanksgiving

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
And Christmas. And Easter. And just about every other holiday one can think of.

Happy Thanksgiving!

The holiday season is upon us. Retailers have replaced “Merry Christmas” with the mundane and politically correct line “Happy Holidays.”

Worse, they have completely destroyed my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, with the dreaded materialistic “Black Friday” week of mindless shopping, followed by “Cyber Monday.” Ugh! Retailers don’t even use “Thanksgiving” anymore in their advertising. Everyone else greets one another with a smile, “Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.” Store executives go around and say, “Have a Black Friday!” Shame!

Thanksgiving had a grand tradition until the Keynesian consumer society took over. This sacred holiday does not take place on a Monday, but on a Thursday, and is a wonderful time to get together with friends and family to celebrate and thank God for our peace, prosperity and liberty in this great country. And for those who subscribe to Forecasts & Strategies, we can be grateful for another successful year, despite the recent market pullback.

Sadly, the retailers and Wall Street have taken over Thanksgiving and Christmas and replaced them with never-ending shopping, where people buy a lot of stuff and give away gifts that they don’t need or want. Meanwhile, our streets, bridges and infrastructure deteriorate every year. We are chronically saving too little and spending too much. Our lives are out of balance.

I remember a few years ago the retail store Sears decided to stay open on Thanksgiving. It serves its management right to go bankrupt.

Black Friday used to refer to a stock market crash. Wouldn’t it serve retailers right to see consumers boycott sales starting on Friday? Let them have their own crash!

I’m no Scrooge. I love the holidays and the Christmas spirit. But our society has lost the true spirit of Thanksgiving.

Good investing, AEIOU,

From How Retailers Ruined Thanksgiving | Human Events

Happy Thanksgiving!

The holiday season is upon us. Retailers have replaced “Merry Christmas” with the mundane and politically correct line “Happy Holidays.”

Worse, they have completely destroyed my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, with the dreaded materialistic “Black Friday” week of mindless shopping, followed by “Cyber Monday.” Ugh! Retailers don’t even use “Thanksgiving” anymore in their advertising. Everyone else greets one another with a smile, “Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.” Store executives go around and say, “Have a Black Friday!” Shame!

Thanksgiving had a grand tradition until the Keynesian consumer society took over. This sacred holiday does not take place on a Monday, but on a Thursday, and is a wonderful time to get together with friends and family to celebrate and thank God for our peace, prosperity and liberty in this great country. And for those who subscribe to Forecasts & Strategies, we can be grateful for another successful year, despite the recent market pullback.

Sadly, the retailers and Wall Street have taken over Thanksgiving and Christmas and replaced them with never-ending shopping, where people buy a lot of stuff and give away gifts that they don’t need or want. Meanwhile, our streets, bridges and infrastructure deteriorate every year. We are chronically saving too little and spending too much. Our lives are out of balance.

I remember a few years ago the retail store Sears decided to stay open on Thanksgiving. It serves its management right to go bankrupt.

Black Friday used to refer to a stock market crash. Wouldn’t it serve retailers right to see consumers boycott sales starting on Friday? Let them have their own crash!

I’m no Scrooge. I love the holidays and the Christmas spirit. But our society has lost the true spirit of Thanksgiving.

Good investing, AEIOU,

I could live with a "if u aren't EMS and you make ppl work Thanksgiving then your taxes are tripled and their pay is x10.

Give the tax receipts to the NRA if u must, or take it off the bills of those who stay closed.

You know, today I had to make a quick run to the store, and decided to check and see if Wal Mart was open (this was around 2:00 pm CST), and they were.

Apparently, this evening, that is when their kick off is for black Friday, and you should have seen the way the workers were swarming all over the place, posting signs, moving merchandise, etc.

Interesting thing was, there seemed to be more workers there than customers. For the first time in a VERY long time, I was able to walk up to a cashier's aisle that was manned by a person, and didn't have to wait in line at all. Nobody was checking out.

Kinda scary, actually. Usually at Wal Mart, if I don't do the self checkout, I wait anywhere from 5 to 10 min to check out with a cashier who is a person.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Good investing, AEIOU,

Well, they didn't ruin it all on their own. They needed the customers too.

Turns out customers are more interested in stuff than religion nonsense.

You know, today I had to make a quick run to the store, and decided to check and see if Wal Mart was open (this was around 2:00 pm CST), and they were.

Apparently, this evening, that is when their kick off is for black Friday, and you should have seen the way the workers were swarming all over the place, posting signs, moving merchandise, etc.

Interesting thing was, there seemed to be more workers there than customers. For the first time in a VERY long time, I was able to walk up to a cashier's aisle that was manned by a person, and didn't have to wait in line at all. Nobody was checking out.

Kinda scary, actually. Usually at Wal Mart, if I don't do the self checkout, I wait anywhere from 5 to 10 min to check out with a cashier who is a person.

The one I pass on the way to work was buzzing but not the lines around the corner I used to wait in. Although since I get off around 6:30 in the morning, I may swing by one of the stores and see what's up.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Good investing, AEIOU,

I reject the premise.

If you were to ask me what the sales were, I couldn't tell you. I suppose there are some folks out there who live and die by the sales but me? I am not interrupting my plans to go shopping...regardless of the sale.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Good investing, AEIOU,

I reject the premise.

If you were to ask me what the sales were, I couldn't tell you. I suppose there are some folks out there who live and die by the sales but me? I am not interrupting my plans to go shopping...regardless of the sale.

Good for you. If we were just talking about you, then you might be right.

Forum List

Back