What happened to Thanksgiving?

I just think Thanksgiving isn't "cool" or ethnic enough, Thanksgiving is slipping in popularity and Cinco de mayo on the other hand is going through the roof as far as popularity.

I hate the 5th of May.

It means NOTHING to me, and I bet most of the idiots that celebrate it only know that Corona beer sells well that day.

Dont mistake what I am saying... I am not calling you guys idiots, I promise.
Its just my opinion on the day, and just that.
Have fun if ya want, I myself will have a shot of Jack Daniels in honor of Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett :beer:

I think another reason why Thanksgiving isn't the big family tradition it used to be is because families are scattered all over the country. I have a fairly large family, but most of us live in different time zones.
The past few years we have had friends over.
And we invite singles who have no other place to go.

I was in the Military for 7 years so alot of people were away from their families for Thanksgiving, supervisors, first sergeants and commanders would go out of their way to make sure everyone had a place to go for that day. That is one of the things I appreciated about the service.

:clap2:

I think another reason why Thanksgiving isn't the big family tradition it used to be is because families are scattered all over the country. I have a fairly large family, but most of us live in different time zones.

I was in the Military for 7 years so alot of people were away from their families for Thanksgiving, supervisors, first sergeants and commanders would go out of their way to make sure everyone had a place to go for that day. That is one of the things I appreciated about the service.

Growing up, I remember several times when dad would bring home an airman or two from the base to have Thanksgiving with us. I think he just want more people to be on his side when it came to the ball game. :D

I always appreciated people who would open their homes, I went to a co workers house for Thanksgiving after I got divorced and when I was dating this girl who used to work in a bar they actually had a little Thanksgiving shindig in the bar, the owner let the bartenders and workers bring family and friends in there, it was actually a nice spread.

I just think Thanksgiving isn't "cool" or ethnic enough, Thanksgiving is slipping in popularity and Cinco de mayo on the other hand is going through the roof as far as popularity.

I hate the 5th of May.

It means NOTHING to me, and I bet most of the idiots that celebrate it only know that Corona beer sells well that day.

Have fun if ya want, I myself will have a shot of Jack Daniels in honor of Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett :beer:

Cinco de mayos popularity is soaring due to our growing Mexican population, I have no problem with it but as for me as an American Thanksgiving trumps Cinco de mayo anyday of the week.

Wife and son are on phones, as I type, hammering out who's making what

I make the Watergate Salad
The Missus makes the dressing
Son is making the ham
Got celery stix with cream cheese coming
Somebody will invariably fry a turkey
Wife will make a cheesecake or 2 (my favorite part)

And our gravy is basically a thick broth from the chicken stock, gr. peppers, onions, and celery that was boiled for the dressing/stuffing

That sounds good..!

My daughter loves to make the turkey, and damn its good!

She uses one of Alton Browns recipes. It soaks in a brine solution for 24 hrs and then she cooks it in the oven. Man, I am having cravings just thinking about it :eusa_drool:

I hate the 5th of May.

Cinco de mayos popularity is soaring due to our growing Mexican population, I have no problem with it but as for me as an American Thanksgiving trumps Cinco de mayo anyday of the week.

The food is always better too :lol:

I hate the 5th of May.

The food is always better too :lol:

I agree 100%.

Thought this might be funny for this thread... HEE HEE

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwKI82CTp2o]Brad Paisley - Kung Pao Buckaroo Holiday - YouTube[/ame]

so have lobster sillie......we have duck some years....whatever you want to have....
That "family getting together" thing weighs heavily on the turkey side of the menu. And Mom's allergic to shellfish.

I bring the pies.

Last year, my brother's mother-in-law was charged with the dessert course. She brought sugar free butterscotch pudding with fat free topping.

So, I bring pie.

Blasphemy I tell ya
:eek:

Am I alone in noticing that Thanksgiving seems to have been swept under the holiday rug?

Immediately after Halloween, and ever since, I've seen nothing but Christmas advertising and decorations.

Large retailers are hinting at opening on Thanksgiving to get a leg up on "Black Friday" sales.

It's just seeming that Thanksgiving is fading away.....

What can we do to make Thanksgiving "cool" again?

If I was a conspiracy-minded person, I'd think that it sounds too much like a prayer for the GP.....
Just thinking outloud. Don't jump on the "prayer" aspect too much.

Why aren't there any good Thanksgiving songs, anyway???

:eusa_eh:
No costumes, no decorations, no presents. Money only spent on food and booze.

Without the advertisers jerking our chains, mighty Thanksgiving has fallen to the wayside.

:(

Heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking.

i have been buying stuff for about a month.....of course its hard to keep it...i have finally put notes on the stuff i want to last till thanksgiving....i like thanksgiving everyone comes over and stuffs themselves then falls asleep

Thanksgiving 1987 our messdecks were under repair and it was my duty day (had to stay onboard)
Our Thanksgiving dinner was delivered via "roach coach".
It was brown bag lunches with pb&j sandwiches.
I haven't eaten pb&j since that day.

so have lobster sillie......we have duck some years....whatever you want to have....
That "family getting together" thing weighs heavily on the turkey side of the menu. And Mom's allergic to shellfish.

I bring the pies.

Last year, my brother's mother-in-law was charged with the dessert course. She brought sugar free butterscotch pudding with fat free topping.

So, I bring pie.

Blasphemy I tell ya
:eek:
That dessert went over like a fart in church. It just goes to show what happens when you try to include everyone in the dinner preparation. Somebody's gonna bring sugar free butterscotch pudding while everyone expcts (and deserves) pumpkin pie.

Thanksgiving 1987 our messdecks were under repair and it was my duty day (had to stay onboard)
Our Thanksgiving dinner was delivered via "roach coach".
It was brown bag lunches with pb&j sandwiches.
I haven't eaten pb&j since that day.

That sounds crappy, I would have went out to a bar after my shift to recooperate from that huge let down.

Last edited:
Am I alone in noticing that Thanksgiving seems to have been swept under the holiday rug?

Immediately after Halloween, and ever since, I've seen nothing but Christmas advertising and decorations.

Large retailers are hinting at opening on Thanksgiving to get a leg up on "Black Friday" sales.

If I was a conspiracy-minded person, I'd think that it sounds too much like a prayer for the GP.....

You noticed that too?

The Christmas commercials are coming really early this year...

However I don't believe Thanksgiving was really advertised tho - then again I generally watch tv on Hulu and Netflx and watch my hockey and football on network TV. I do enjoy the Discovery, Nat Geo and History channels tho...

But yes I have acknowledged the early Christmas commercials - I brought it up the other day with my mother and she noticed it too..

Tofurkey..... gluten free stuffing...sugar free fat free pumpkin pie...soy whipped cream.

That should do the trick!!! PC for everyone!!!

:puke3:

It's all about the money

Not much money can be made off of thanksgiving except for the cost of a turkey dinner. Super Markets and restaurants make money, to other merchants it's an annoyance

It's all about the money

Not much money can be made off of thanksgiving except for the cost of a turkey dinner. Super Markets and restaurants make money, to other merchants it's an annoyance

Everything is about capital...

That is why you have food to eat, a computer to post on and material to wipe your ass with..

Remove reward (making money) from the scenario and you would have nothing because no one would have a reason to make the next computer, Ipod or Iphone..

Materialism created the internet, materialism created the cell phone - materialism was behind the industrial revolution for fucks sake - people need shit...

Those who disagree are communists... They want everything dictated and created by the government... Then you have brilliant minds shut down because there is no reward for the work...

We progress because their is a reward (profit) to progress - take that away and humanity will certainly degress...

Forum List

Back