What happened to Thanksgiving?

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
Am I alone in noticing that Thanksgiving seems to have been swept under the holiday rug?

Immediately after Halloween, and ever since, I've seen nothing but Christmas advertising and decorations.

Large retailers are hinting at opening on Thanksgiving to get a leg up on "Black Friday" sales.

It's just seeming that Thanksgiving is fading away.....

What can we do to make Thanksgiving "cool" again?

If I was a conspiracy-minded person, I'd think that it sounds too much like a prayer for the GP.....
Just thinking outloud. Don't jump on the "prayer" aspect too much.

Why aren't there any good Thanksgiving songs, anyway???

:eusa_eh:

Am I alone in noticing that Thanksgiving seems to have been swept under the holiday rug?

Immediately after Halloween, and ever since, I've seen nothing but Christmas advertising and decorations.

Large retailers are hinting at opening on Thanksgiving to get a leg up on "Black Friday" sales.

If I was a conspiracy-minded person, I'd think that it sounds too much like a prayer for the GP.....

Because they start with something like...

"We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing,"

and end with something like:

"O Lord, make us free."

For Thanksgiving it's all about the grocery store displays! :lol:

5f542959-2b90-4b42-934f-952e48ad314a.jpg

Something to do with the disolution of the family unit, too many divorces or kids with no fathers around. Not like it used to be anyway. Used to be a time for strengthening relationships, pausing for a moment to remember what's really good in life.

What happened to the American family is more to the central point. That and the commercialization of everything. Its all about getting the American consumer to spend money and Thanksgiving is not going to fuel much consumer spending except for turkey's and hams. And even then the focus on diet is taking a toll on that. A lot of Americans do not spend the holiday together like in the past. Some of this has to do with the influx of foreigners into the society who have no history of Thanksgiving.

Something to do with the disolution of the family unit, too many divorces or kids with no fathers around. Not like it used to be anyway. Used to be a time for strengthening relationships, pausing for a moment to remember what's really good in life.

Very good observation.
I hadn't seen it through those glasses.

My family is HUGE and there are scattered divorces but we always seem to find a common/neutral household to gather, so your point completely eluded my thought process.

:cool:

Apparently Nordstroms announced that they wouldn't be putting up any Christmas decorations until the day after Thanksgiving. Makes me want to shop at Nordstroms.

This is going to be a lousy Thanksgiving for me. With my youngest in a home and the psychiatrist saying we can't bring him home for a year...and my oldest refusing to go visit him...well, I almost feel like my family is over. Not looking forward to cooking that turkey this year.

I dont think folks want to admit who we are giving thanks to....

Its a holiday where average Americans stop and give "thanks" to God above for all his blessing.

Its easier to start trying to sell junk for the "holiday" season and forget the spiritual implications in Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Just my opinion

Kmart has been open on Thanksgiving for over ten years. Trust me, I am all for them being closed. I had to work four Thanksgiving at Kmart when I was younger, and the day after. I would rather shoot myself in the foot than do that again.

I dont think folks want to admit who we are giving thanks to....

Its a holiday where average Americans stop and give "thanks" to God above for all his blessing.

Its easier to start trying to sell junk for the "holiday" season and forget the spiritual implications in Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Just my opinion

I honestly believe that plays a role in it.

I just don't want the discussion turning too religious, or anti-religious, as often happens when someone mentions God.

:eusa_shhh:

It's not "cool" to thank God for anything anymore. As a matter of fact, it's not "cool" to even admit that you believe in God. Thanksgiving, isn't cool anymore because you have to be "thankful" to God for your many blessings instead of feeling like somebody owes you something and you expect the big payoff. It's a real shame the way America is going these days. Makes you almost puke.

It's not "cool" to thank God for anything anymore. As a matter of fact, it's not "cool" to even admit that you believe in God. Thanksgiving, isn't cool anymore because you have to be "thankful" to God for your many blessings instead of feeling like somebody owes you something and you expect the big payoff. It's a real shame the way America is going these days. Makes you almost puke.

If I must, I'll be puking turkey and deviled eggs
:D

Weird thing is, most people I know still celebrate it. I had no idea we didn't want to Thank God anymore???

Hopefully, I will be able to switch my shift so I can celebrate.

I think Thanksgiving is losing popularity because anything American these days is seen as "bad", if Thanksgiving was a Mexican or Muslim holiday everyone would be all for supporting it and keeping the tradition alive.

I think Thanksgiving is losing popularity because anything American these days is seen as "bad", if Thanksgiving was a Mexican or Muslim holiday everyone would be all for supporting it and keeping the tradition alive.

I think it is losing popularity in advertising.
With people, I don't see it. We are still Americans and we love our food. Just sayin.

I think it is losing popularity in advertising.
With people, I don't see it. We are still Americans and we love our food. Just sayin.

I just think Thanksgiving isn't "cool" or ethnic enough, Thanksgiving is slipping in popularity and Cinco de mayo on the other hand is going through the roof as far as popularity.

Forum List

Back