What do you do? Cop shows up to door saying they want your child to come out...

Heres the scenario I saw. A kid of about 15 is riding his bike when the cops start to follow them. Kid goes home and the cop says they want to write the kid a ticket for riding a bike without a helmet. Parents ask why there are about 7 cops on his lawn for a ticket.

Cop says they chased the kid and he needs to come out like "a big boy". Parents send their child outside who is then arrested and taken away.

In the comments it was suggested that the parents should've just not answered the door and / or force them to get a warrant to access the home if a helmet violation was such a big deal.

In this situation are you required to come out of your home?

Without a warrant they cannot enter the premises unless invited or they can establish probable cause, such as pursuit. Since they were in pursuit, they could have entered the home without a warrant to search or one for arrest.

The suspect was given the opportunity to surrender, which was taken. Had the parents refused, they would have then been subject to charges, such as interfering with law enforcement, aiding and abetting, etc.

LOL I sort of laughed at the idea of seven cops chasing a kid on a bike

The odds are that he was wanted for something much more serious.

Heres the scenario I saw. A kid of about 15 is riding his bike when the cops start to follow them. Kid goes home and the cop says they want to write the kid a ticket for riding a bike without a helmet. Parents ask why there are about 7 cops on his lawn for a ticket.

Cop says they chased the kid and he needs to come out like "a big boy". Parents send their child outside who is then arrested and taken away.

In the comments it was suggested that the parents should've just not answered the door and / or force them to get a warrant to access the home if a helmet violation was such a big deal.

No, you are not. Don't answer the door. If you do, do not give permission to search.

Without a warrant they cannot enter the premises unless invited or they can establish probable cause, such as pursuit. Since they were in pursuit, they could have entered the home without a warrant to search or one for arrest.

The suspect was given the opportunity to surrender, which was taken. Had the parents refused, they would have then been subject to charges, such as interfering with law enforcement, aiding and abetting, etc.

LOL I sort of laughed at the idea of seven cops chasing a kid on a bike

The odds are that he was wanted for something much more serious.

That's obvious but they should have told the parents what for instead of playing a stupid game like that. They could have created more of a problem doing that, I know I'd be hesitant to send my kid out over some supposed helmet violation. Just be honest

All the crime in LA and seven cops after some kid on a bike? Insanity
Relatives from southern California say it has gotten pretty bad down there. Rod got a bullshit ticket last time we were down there from hood rats jumping off the sidewalk as if they were going into the street but they weren't really. A terrible place to raise children at this point.

If he ran away from them on the bike, that is resisting arrest.
Some of the cops down there are bullies. I may have ran if I was him also. A ticket for not having a helmet is bullshit anyhow.

Oh please he's a sixteen year old kid and if seven cops are chasing him he was probably scared to death. Bad over reaction by the cops

Oh please he's a sixteen year old kid and if seven cops are chasing him he was probably scared to death. Bad over reaction by the cops

I think it was only the one cop and he actually called for backup for a helmet violation. Then instead of writing the ticket they arrested the youngin...kinda fucking up the trust factor

where I live, know what the cops would do over a 16 year old not wearing a bicycle helmet..........nothing!

where I live, know what the cops would do over a 16 year old not wearing a bicycle helmet..........nothing!

Same here.
From the video it seems to be a history between the cops and the family.
They were after him for something other than his helmet.
We know nothing about the details.

Same here.

Well, besides guessing that their actions were justified for some reason the only thing we can go on is what they said. They said it was about a helmet. We do know that because that's exactly what they said

Same here.

Well, besides guessing that their actions were justified for some reason the only thing we can go on is what they said. They said it was about a helmet. We do know that because that's exactly what they said

Whoever the man was inside the house was right.
He should have never gone out.
Your rights as a citizen of the USA, is to tell them to get a warrant and then search the house for him.

Thats fucking crazy CC
Do you have a link?

I don't know if someone else posted this. WTF? Team of Cops Arrest Teen For a Bicycle Helmet "Violation" (VIDEO)
the guy recording it is an idiot.
"for a 16 year old kid. all these police for a kid"
"why he got to be a boy, officer?" Lol

I dont understand though. Said he was going to get arrested unless he came outside. He comes outside and he immediately puts his arms behind his back?
WTF is going on here?

Same here.

Whoever the man was inside the house was right.
He should have never gone out.
Your rights as a citizen of the USA, is to tell them to get a warrant and then search the house for him.
Is that correct in "active pursuit" though?
As stupid as that sounds for not wearing a dang helmet..

Yes. Police don't require a warrant to arrest if they have belief on reasonable grounds an offence is or has been committed.

They have the right to enter the address, but their search powers are limited.

Yes. Police don't require a warrant to arrest if they have belief on reasonable grounds an offence is or has been committed.

They have the right to enter the address, but their search powers are limited.
It seems to me that the cops would need a warrant to go into the home in this case. The cops didn't go into the home and it appears that they did not have a warrant, hence the ruse about writing the 16 year old a ticket. If the cops had been in "hot pursuit" (Regards to Roscoe P. Coltrane), then the cops could have pursued the boy into the home to apprehend him. That being said, chasing a boy down over not wearing a bicycle helmet is ridiculous.

Forum List

Back